Bruins on NBC Networks 16 times in 2016-17

nickyb

May 5, 2004
NBC really needs to get rid of Doc and Edzo, they're awful........it really is time for some new blood on the network.......I'd take Gary Thorne and Bill Clement over those two any day

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i dont mind doc. i love his goal call.
but forslund is def my fav. he should call most of the games

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If NBC could do this they would :laugh:

13709953_10210826859645498_3092996059989446595_n.jpg

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Other than the NFL, you don't really see much variety in any of the professional sports when it comes to national broadcasts. Look at the teams that are on Subday Night Baseball. You never see the Orioles, Blue Jays or Rays.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
NBC really needs to get rid of Doc and Edzo, they're awful........it really is time for some new blood on the network.......I'd take Gary Thorne and Bill Clement over those two any day

But Edzo gave us 'tremendously tremendous'. I try and use that line at least once a day..

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Other than the NFL, you don't really see much variety in any of the professional sports when it comes to national broadcasts. Look at the teams that are on Subday Night Baseball. You never see the Orioles, Blue Jays or Rays.

True, but there are more than six teams getting air on Sunday Night Baseball. Sox/Yankees, of course, are on nearly all the time, but the Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants, Mets, Nationals (just in the NL, which I watch more of) get significant run, and teams that are good and interesting (say, the Orioles and Pirates of late) will at least get a look every now and then on SNB.

NBC has great variety with Sunday Night Football in a much shorter season. Even if it seems to be the NFC East Game of the Week most weeks, the Pats/Colts/Broncos/Steelers/Packers/Bears also get significant run, and you'll see teams like the 49ers, Ravens and Saints in a semi-regular rotation.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Complete and utter trash. Won't be buying the NHL package this year. Last year was ridiculous...I swear everytime (in Rochester NY) I tried to watch a game it was blacked out for some reason. Sixteen NBC games...forget it. At least I'll get those for free on antenna.

3 NBC games available via antenna, 13 on the NBCSN cable channel.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The NFL has actual rules that dictate how often teams get nationally broadcast.

Wiki on NFL broadcasting said:
Individual teams may make no more than four appearances on NBC during the season. Only three teams may make as many as six prime time appearances (Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, and Saturday night combined). The remaining teams may make a maximum of five prime time appearances.

My general impression, and I could be wrong, is that football fans are far more likely to watch a neutral football game than hockey fans are to watch a neutral hockey game. Look at football scheduling - you get double-headers every week, meaning people are, ostensibly, watching one game flow right into another. NBCSN does do doubleheaders occasionally, but I don't think people in the east generally stay up for the 10:30-1 AM game. Nor do I think people in the West rush home early for the 4 PM game.

If you put on a "rivalry" regular season Kings vs Ducks game, I'm out. If you put on an anti-rivalry Bruins vs Coyotes game, I'm in.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NFL has actual rules that dictate how often teams get nationally broadcast.

My general impression, and I could be wrong, is that football fans are far more likely to watch a neutral football game than hockey fans are to watch a neutral hockey game. Look at football scheduling - you get double-headers every week, meaning people are, ostensibly, watching one game flow right into another. NBCSN does do doubleheaders occasionally, but I don't think people in the east generally stay up for the 10:30-1 AM game. Nor do I think people in the West rush home early for the 4 PM game.

If you put on a "rivalry" regular season Kings vs Ducks game, I'm out. If you put on an anti-rivalry Bruins vs Coyotes game, I'm in.

The reason is simple - GAMBLING and with this generation FANTASY.

Years ago I would watch say a Colorado/Detroit game as there was so much bad blood between the teams you would expect something to happen. Now not so much.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The reason is simple - GAMBLING and with this generation FANTASY.

Years ago I would watch say a Colorado/Detroit game as there was so much bad blood between the teams you would expect something to happen. Now not so much.

Not really. Most of the country outside of New England will watch neutral sporting events. Especially college sports.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
I don't mind this at all. Can't stand Jack rambling about political correctness and old tyme hockey like a drunk uncle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad