Bruins on NBC Networks 16 times in 2016-17

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...umber-of-nhl-regular-season-games-in-2016-17/

GAMES IN BOLD WILL BE NBC EXCLUSIVE - NO NESN COVERAGE

Wed., Oct. 26 Boston N.Y. Rangers NBCSN 8 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 22 St. Louis Boston NBCSN 7 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 29 Boston Philadelphia NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 7 Boston Washington NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 14 Boston Pittsburgh NBCSN 7:30 p.m.

Tue., Jan. 10 Boston St. Louis NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Jan 18 Boston Detroit NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Feb. 1 Boston Washington NBCSN 8 p.m.

Sun., Feb. 12 Montreal Boston NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Feb. 19 Boston San Jose NBCSN 8:30 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 26 Boston Dallas NBC 12:30 p.m.

Thur., Mar. 2 N.Y. Rangers Boston NBCSN 7 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 8 Detroit Boston NBCSN 8 p.m.
Thur., Mar. 30 Dallas Boston NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Apr. 2 Boston Chicago NBC 12:30 p.m.
Sat., Apr. 8 Washington Boston NBC 3 p.m.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's a lot of games with no Jack. I don't like that at all

NESN can't be happy with the number of high profile games they have lost - 11

They will be on the main network 3 times and by then NBC will own their new Boston channel as the network is leaving Channel 7 for another channel they haven't announced yet.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
For a team missing the playoffs two straight seasons and possibly a third this season, seems bold by NBC.

Making the playoffs means nothing. Tampa Bay was in the Cup Final two years ago and was on the main network exactly zero times in the regular season last year. San Jose probably will match that number this year. NBC pretty much centers its coverage on the old Patrick Division - primarily NYR/PHI/PIT/WAS, plus the Bruins, Wings & Blackhawks. They'll air a bunch of Sabres games on NBCSN, as well (they also deliver big ratings), but rarely on the main network.

The Bruins have one of the largest fan bases in the U.S. - and deliver, as a result, some of the biggest TV ratings. They'll be on NBC a lot simply for that reason, no matter how good or poor the team is.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
NESN can't be happy with the number of high profile games they have lost - 11

They will be on the main network 3 times and by then NBC will own their new Boston channel as the network is leaving Channel 7 for another channel they haven't announced yet.

Jack doesn't hide his frustration about NBC taking high-profile games. He loves this team and he loves calling big games, and I'm sure he wants to be doing them.

What frustrates me is when NBCSN/NHLN pick up a game, it gets blacked out on NHL.tv. As a cord-cutter who doesn't get NBCSN or NHLN, it means that's a game I can't watch (although listening to Dave Goucher is plenty fine).

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Ehh NBC production craps all over NESN they just have way more ads. And Jack was literally awful last season. This doesn't bother me even slightly. Get Dave and Bob on NESN already!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
For a team missing the playoffs two straight seasons and possibly a third this season, seems bold by NBC.

It's not all about Boston. There are two opposing sets of eyeballs that will be watching.

Every game in bold is against what I'd call a robust hockey market (O6, Pennsylvania, NYC, DC) except for SJS and DAL. Sharks made the SCF, and has the Thornton storyline. Dallas - well, I don't need to say what former player is on Dallas.

Even the non-exclusives include St. Louis, which has the Backes storyline, and has a team that made the WCF.

Of interest, let's see who our Wednesday Night Rivals (patent pending, TM, R, used with express written permission from both NBC and the NHL) are:

New York. Yup, baseball spill-over.

Detroit - Original 6 always gets a pass. But twice?

Washington, Pittsburgh - eh. More like "let's put more Crosby and Ovi on TV". And BOS@WSH twice? Meh.

Granted, it's hard to find NHL personalities - and I don't mind slightly boring players. One Bruin, who will remain nameless, said on camera that his favorite ice cream flavor was vanilla. Realizing how boring that was, he quickly amended his answer to....chocolate.

Three out of our four rival teams aren't even in our DIVISION! Granted, our division stinks for TV - the two Florida and three Canadian teams don't help. Even with a BOS/MTL matchup, NBC only gets ratings from one rabid fanbase. That basically leaves Detroit and Buffalo as the only options for a non-Southern, non-Canadian, divisional rivalry.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not a lot of day games, I like that.

There are a ton of NESN matinees. I know there are 6 games that start before 6 in the Weekend/Holiday package that they're selling - that's 6 out of 11 games. Looks like 15 matinee games total (plus or minus), which seems like a pretty hefty load.

As far as the production value, I'm sure the graphics will be changed to be consistent with the new graphics on Sox games. Fenway knows more about this, but I'm pretty sure he's said that they haven't had a significant upgrade to their graphics package since the advent of NESN HD. If it doesn't include SOG like FSN, I'll be annoyed. The ticker I've learned to ignore: it's not for me; it's for bar patrons who watch the game on mute who might be more interested in other games.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It's not all about Boston. There are two opposing sets of eyeballs that will be watching.

Every game in bold is against what I'd call a robust hockey market (O6, Pennsylvania, NYC, DC) except for SJS and DAL. Sharks made the SCF, and has the Thornton storyline. Dallas - well, I don't need to say what former player is on Dallas.

Even the non-exclusives include St. Louis, which has the Backes storyline, and has a team that made the WCF.

Of interest, let's see who our Wednesday Night Rivals (patent pending, TM, R, used with express written permission from both NBC and the NHL) are:

Washington, Pittsburgh - eh. More like "let's put more Crosby and Ovi on TV". And BOS@WSH twice? Meh.

To NBC, rivalries are "games between 2 of the the 7 teams we cover."

Their conception of the NHL is as I mentioned before: the old Patrick Division + the other 3 U.S. Original Six teams. That's it. They'll play up St. Louis a little bit before New Year's because of the Winter Classic, and toss Minnesota a few bones because they deliver boffo local ratings. But nationally - for the games on the peacock on Sunday afternoons, it's going to be 7 teams. Fortunately, our team is one of them, and that's allowed the Bruins to build a national fanbase.

I work for a Midwestern ECHL team, and I always see a few eight-spoked B's in the stands when I go to games (and that doesn't even count my wife, who wears her Bergeron jersey to every hockey game she attends).

Don Cherry*

I HATE Doc but can live with the other NBC announcers, Jack is Jack I don't love or hate him he is what he is...

I really like Doc a lot. I also like Jack and I still miss the legendary Fred.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Directv and nbc better hash their crap out before hockey season.

In Boston the DirecTV dispute is with Channel 7 not NBC. In 2017 NBC is moving to another channel so it won't be a problem - we just don't know what the new channel is yet.

The latest rumor is NBC and COX ( which owns FOX25) will trade stations in Miami and Boston and NBC would move to Channel 25 and FOX would move to Channel 7.

However the Olympics and Sunday NIght Football are up in the air as Channel 7 is demanding too much money from DirecTV. Channel 7 loses NBC on January 1, 2017.

Last edited:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...umber-of-nhl-regular-season-games-in-2016-17/

GAMES IN BOLD WILL BE NBC EXCLUSIVE - NO NESN COVERAGE

Wed., Oct. 26 Boston N.Y. Rangers NBCSN 8 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 22 St. Louis Boston NBCSN 7 p.m.
Tue., Nov. 29 Boston Philadelphia NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 7 Boston Washington NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 14 Boston Pittsburgh NBCSN 7:30 p.m.

Tue., Jan. 10 Boston St. Louis NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Jan 18 Boston Detroit NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Feb. 1 Boston Washington NBCSN 8 p.m.

Sun., Feb. 12 Montreal Boston NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun. Feb. 19 Boston San Jose NBCSN 8:30 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 26 Boston Dallas NBC 12:30 p.m.

Thur., Mar. 2 N.Y. Rangers Boston NBCSN 7 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 8 Detroit Boston NBCSN 8 p.m.
Thur., Mar. 30 Dallas Boston NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Apr. 2 Boston Chicago NBC 12:30 p.m.
Sat., Apr. 8 Washington Boston NBC 3 p.m.

Complete and utter trash. Won't be buying the NHL package this year. Last year was ridiculous...I swear everytime (in Rochester NY) I tried to watch a game it was blacked out for some reason. Sixteen NBC games...forget it. At least I'll get those for free on antenna.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Granted, it's hard to find NHL personalities - and I don't mind slightly boring players. One Bruin, who will remain nameless, said on camera that his favorite ice cream flavor was vanilla. Realizing how boring that was, he quickly amended his answer to....chocolate.

Three out of our four rival teams aren't even in our DIVISION! Granted, our division stinks for TV - the two Florida and three Canadian teams don't help. Even with a BOS/MTL matchup, NBC only gets ratings from one rabid fanbase. That basically leaves Detroit and Buffalo as the only options for a non-Southern, non-Canadian, divisional rivalry.

I was wondering if this version of Bruins will attract the neutral fans or if NBC is OK with just the two fan bases dominating the ratings.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
Jack doesn't hide his frustration about NBC taking high-profile games. He loves this team and he loves calling big games, and I'm sure he wants to be doing them.

What frustrates me is when NBCSN/NHLN pick up a game, it gets blacked out on NHL.tv. As a cord-cutter who doesn't get NBCSN or NHLN, it means that's a game I can't watch (although listening to Dave Goucher is plenty fine).

Chromecast + pirate stream ='s happy crimsonace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad