Proposal: Bruins Off-Season Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As I wrote last June 24 I have high hopes for the Plan to redo the defense over

'With good fortune and luck we could see the defense start to take shape in 2018.'

Ok so I was wrong again ~ it was 2017:biglaugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'll say this, I'm not really upset the roster hasn't been improved yet. You don't have to set your team by July 6th. You have until February really.

Obviously there's reason to worry about that approach, but still.

If we were used to seeing our management exercise some kind of roster agility later on, I'd be with you. But there's a strong precedence of cement that's gonna have to be bucked before my disappointment can be comprised.

Also, there was all the talk about the moves they tried to make before/during the draft and expansion which is an indication to me that we share a perspective about what needs to be done.

Mr. Make-Believe

I think part of the frustration is that Sweeny / Neely were on the record saying that they wanted to add a wing and left-side D at the start of the off-season. So they recognized the needs that the team has. Now it appears as though they are ignoring those needs because of not being able to address them and just go with the players that they have.

It's easy to rationalize it by saying that the Bruins can still make moves before camp, or even during the season. However, last year, when the team needed moves to be made, everyone kept saying that big moves are much easier to make in the off-season. Thus, it appears as though the Bruins are unable to close deals to help make the team better (Chiarelli seemed to have the same problem after the Seguin trade too).

I definitely lean towards the group of posters that are willing to defend Sweeny, but the pro-Sweeny side has taken a bit of a condescending stance, belittling anything that could be perceived as criticism. The facts are there though - there are holes on this team, the GM and President have acknowledged it. Thus far they have failed to act. This, to me, is a legitimate topic and something to watch going forward.

This is an excellent post.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think the Bs have taken so much heat for seemingly losing every high profile trade they've made over the last 10 years that they're only going to make one now if it's a clear win.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If we were used to seeing our management exercise some kind of roster agility later on, I'd be with you. But there's a strong precedence of cement that's gonna have to be bucked before my disappointment can be comprised.

Also, there was all the talk about the moves they tried to make before/during the draft and expansion which is an indication to me that we share a perspective about what needs to be done.

but this year is an anomaly, ever since the league granted Vegas a franchise, if this was a straight free agency year, and not having Vegas being stocked/being set up via affiliations, etc....

how else would u try to fit an expansion club into being ready for 2017/18? It's not just the B's, it's every existing franchise in hockey, independent of league....

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

I didn't say I'm optimistic, just that I'm giving some leeway. I think healthy skepticism isn't just okay, I think it is warranted.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'll say this, I'm not really upset the roster hasn't been improved yet. You don't have to set your team by July 6th. You have until February really.

Obviously there's reason to worry about that approach, but still.

I'm not either, but this is a Bruins off-season thread and people talking about the lack of moves shouldn't just be called negative - since this team really hasn't done anything to get excited about.

Although JJ did make the HOF:laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

but this year is an anomaly, ever since the league granted Vegas a franchise, if this was a straight free agency year, and not having Vegas being stocked/being set up via affiliations, etc....

how else would u try to fit an expansion club into being ready for 2017/18? It's not just the B's, it's every existing franchise in hockey, independent of league....

Every team did nothing to attempt to address the holes on their roster?

Fascinatingly faulty perspective. An onion of wrong. Layers.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think what they want/wanted to do versus what they realistically CAN do are proving to be two different things.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
By need I meant something they need from outside the organization.

If you are comfortable with the year being another bridge year, you are correct. And that may be the way to go. But I think it's totally fair to say that this roster could be improved upon by giving up "some" but not "a lot" of it's future assets.

I'm not a big fan of just plugging kids into a lineup in July. I'd rather they face competition and make someone have a tough decision. Just having a group of 4 kids for 3 slots and thinking "Well some of them will be ready" isn't the way to go "if" you want your team to be some sort of contender.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
If you are comfortable with the year being another bridge year, you are correct. And that may be the way to go. But I think it's totally fair to say that this roster could be improved upon by giving up "some" but not "a lot" of it's future assets.

I'm not a big fan of just plugging kids into a lineup in July. I'd rather they face competition and make someone have a tough decision. Just having a group of 4 kids for 3 slots and thinking "Well some of them will be ready" isn't the way to go "if" you want your team to be some sort of contender.

Very well said.

And I feel that is the consensus of many, including myself. They don't need much... And they definitely have the assets to get something done.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm not either, but this is a Bruins off-season thread and people talking about the lack of moves shouldn't just be called negative - since this team really hasn't done anything to get excited about.

The other part of this is, like MMB said, a function of Sweeney and his history. If Sweeney had a history of making moves on the fly nobody would care what the roster looked like on July 6th, but the history here is that Sweeney does 99% of his roster shaping at the draft and on July 1st. Historically, he leaves a spot or two on the team for some internal competition and by-and-large, the team he's had on July 6th has been pretty much what they've gone with until late February.

Maybe that'll change this year but it feels to me like they're done.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Not scared, but frustrated. I mentioned elsewhere that the Bruins will have two fourth lines again next season. Combine that with having McQuaid and Kevan Miller in the top six (either playing as a pair or one of them in the top four) and how is that a recipe for success?

But what about the offersheet to Jack Eichel? :naughty:

Haha I like the way you think!

Tavares one year from UFA and hasn't re-signed yet with NYI. :popcorn:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Very well said.

And I feel that is the consensus of many, including myself. They don't need much... And they definitely have the assets to get something done.

I don't know that Sweeney/Neely will risk making any move considered big at this point.

I think they are banking on these prospects, hoping to make the playoffs again and staying employed.

I hope when the time comes, they can pull the trigger.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

As a Bruins fan I'm very frustrated with this FO. We only need a winger for Krejci and they just wont get one. All this time and energy wasted debating garbage AHL signings and somebody like Tim Schaller. Make a damn move and try to win. If not sell the team.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
On the flip side, can Marchand keep up the torrid scoring pace he had going last year? Can he behave himself all season long knowing that if he so much as looks at someone the wrong way, he's looking at a multi-game suspension?

What if Chara hits the wall? What if Tuukka goes down?

What if Cassidy gets figured out by the league now that the league has the entire summer to go over the film on his system.....and he can't adjust?

For every player that COULD grow and improve, there are just as many on the other side of the coin that may regress.

Exactly. I see this on every fan's board every summer. Apparently, every team will have the bounces go their way this year, every team's kids will only be better with 1 more year, every coaching change will be an improvement, every player who had a bad year will bounce back, and every draft pick will push for a roster spot.

The B's will be better if Krejci and Backes provide more scoring, if McAvoy is ready to be a 20+ min. 80 game D and if someone else emerges to provide secondary scoring. I think there is reason to believe any of those could happen, but none are certain.

Hence their continued position as a "fringe" team. Which is fine if that's the plan for another year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think the Bs have taken so much heat for seemingly losing every high profile trade they've made over the last 10 years that they're only going to make one now if it's a clear win.

The old Harry Sinden "We tried signing a big name free agent once and it was a disaster so therfor whe'll never do it again" mentality.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

And I don't take issue with that approach.

It goes back to the chatter about Duchene/Landeskog or any other brand name forward. They don't need to force the issue and over-pay to get one, but if they can find a reasonable deal to bring one in, I'm all for it.

This team has excess at certain areas. Specifically left-shot prospect forwards, left-shot prospect D-men, and future draft picks (they own every one of their own picks the next 3 years except their 5th next year). We saw even 2020 picks get dealt this summer among other teams.

Find immediate help by dealing from that excess, I support it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The other part of this is, like MMB said, a function of Sweeney and his history. If Sweeney had a history of making moves on the fly nobody would care what the roster looked like on July 6th, but the history here is that Sweeney does 99% of his roster shaping at the draft and on July 1st. Historically, he leaves a spot or two on the team for some internal competition and by-and-large, the team he's had on July 6th has been pretty much what they've gone with until late February.

Maybe that'll change this year but it feels to me like they're done.

This is his third July and the first one was full of fireworks

Not sure they are done

I'd stay tuned

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It also is bothersome that so many were giving Sweeney a pass even before the draft because they "don't have any cap space". Making excuses for using tracing paper over last year's roster for the same excuses we've heard for years now.

Feels like the bar is being set very low.

Folks are "happy" he didn't make a bad signing or execute a bad trade. What happened to being excited about making a good signing, or executing a good trade?

He can't. Hard to make a deal. The cap... Well, at this point, the cap problems they're having are their own doing. Beleskey's deal. Buyouts and then not using that cap space. Maybe they could have cleared some cap by exposing Kevan and McQuaid instead of Colin Miller...

Last thing I'm going to say on this and then I'm going all positive for the rest of the summer...

I don't know if you read DKH's post about what he thinks is the "THE plan." It was a few pages back and was very good. Draft a certain type of defenseman. Draft a certain type of C. Draft a certain type of winger. Develop and prosper.

My issue is that that is not a plan, it's a draft strategy. Don't get me wrong, it's a good draft strategy and what's more I think they're doing a good job of executing it, but to me, a draft strategy should just be one tool in the team building tool box. I guess if you're the Vegas Golden Knights that would be enough but this is a team with a 4 time Selke Winner, a Vezina winner, a Norris winner, a two-time playoff scoring champ, the NHL's 3rd leading goal scorer... they're not starting from nothing.

So Sweeney gets an A for his drafting and the future is bright (and that's going to be my focus for the rest of the summer because dwelling on the negatives bums me out), but like BP13 and others have said a few times, the trades and free agents, his ability to address weaknesses on the NHL roster... not as strong and that part has been disappointing and is a little worrisome because chances are, they're going to eventually need something they don't have in-house and they're going to need a Horton/Wideman type trade to get there.

Alright, I'm done. Flipping the switch in 5, 4, 3, 2...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is his third July and the first one was full of fireworks

Not sure they are done

I'd stay tuned

They were both full of fireworks. He signed Beleskey the first year, and last year he got Backes, Khudobin, Nash, Schaller...

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Sweeney gets something done. If not, I'm excited to see if Spooner can take a step forward in his two-way game. Getting a positive contribution from that 3rd line this year is going to be key!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad