Pre-Game Talk: Bruins - Leafs, Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Call me crazy but I start Woll or Jones next game.

Full credit to Sammy for an excellent couple periods in Game 2, but Game 1 and 3....You can't let in goals like that. Especially when we famously can't score.

It's obviously not all on Sammy but we can't be letting in back breakers like that.

Yeah this was true all year, except it was Matthews, Willy and the passengers.
Leave it to Keefe sticking with a guy who has a sub 900 save % and 3 GA in the series. LOL

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Call me crazy but I start Woll or Jones next game.

Full credit to Sammy for an excellent couple periods in Game 2, but Game 1 and 3....You can't let in goals like that. Especially when we famously can't score.

It's obviously not all on Sammy but we can't be letting in back breakers like that.

Yeah this was true all year, except it was Matthews, Willy and the passengers.
I am 100% in the start Woll camp I don't have faith in Sammy never did.

Reactions: yubbers and Jmo89

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If I look at this series so far, the PP stands out to me as the biggest problem. So much so in fact, that if you didn't change anything other than the Leafs being 25% on the PP, we'd more than likely be leading this series.

If this does not get corrected, regardless of how well they are playing in all the even strength areas, it will not matter. And it will be in one way a continuation of the patheticness of this core's ability to score in meaningful games.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
You don't need hits to win. You do need goals, and defense, and goaltending, but we were unfortunately more focused on hits.
Goes without saying we need the qualities you mentioned. Are you saying a cup can be won without physicality/hard checking in your game?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I am 100% in the start Woll camp I don't have faith in Sammy never did.

Woll's end of the season wasn't good and his record against Boston is a full inverse Swayman. I understand the hesitation many have.

But we need to try to find the hot hand here. I thought after Game 2 it might be Sammy but....that Frederic goal simply can't go in.

Reactions: Jmo89

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
The boys know whats at stake in this one. Either all squared up or in a hole I doubt their capable of crawling out of.
Time to man up or shut up.

Reactions: fahad203

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Woll's end of the season wasn't good and his record against Boston is a full inverse Swayman. I understand the hesitation many have.

But we need to try to find the hot hand here. I thought after Game 2 it might be Sammy but....that Frederic goal simply can't go in.

They won't beat Boston with Samsonov imo. It's a risk to run Woll after his poor finish, but it's a sure loss (over 7 games or less) to run Samsonov imo.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
OK guys how can you neutralize The Rat Marchand?
Please give this guy a tougher game!!
Good player yes, but does not play the game the right way.....................hand him his own a$$ !!!!
You don't have to neutralize him by playing him tougher, you need to ignore his crap and treat him like the 67 point player he is. The more you focus on his antics, the more you get distracted and lose focus on the task at hand.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
OK guys how can you neutralize The Rat Marchand?
Please give this guy a tougher game!!
Good player yes, but does not play the game the right way.....................hand him his own a$$ !!!!
Put Marner on his hip.

Reactions: BLONG7

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Powerplay was killing us: If Nylander is back (hopefully he is)

PP1:
Nylander - Bertuzzi - Domi
Marner - Matthews

PP2:
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Robertson
Rielly - Timmins / Liljegren

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
In the interest of not becoming overly reliant on road wins/wins in Boston, I hope the team views tomorrow night's game as a "must win". Having to peel off three wins in a row or winning three of the next four seems to be a daunting enough task as it is.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You don't have to neutralize him by playing him tougher, you need to ignore his crap and treat him like the 67 point player he is. The more you focus on his antics, the more you get distracted and lose focus on the task at hand.
You play an aggresive zone demying style PK and marchand has 2 pts maybe thos series

He has feasted on our PP where pur shitty coach continues to let the bruons get the zone, make pt to pt passes (no toght pt coverage) go to the front of the net unaltered, and gived Marchand a low end 1st liner time and space to make plays

PK + Keefe have cost us the most even more so than Marner whose been ass but our 5v5/EVS defense has neutered an average bruins offense to basically no high quality looks/goals through 3 games

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Joe Bowen calling out the fans. I've done the same on here but I don't have the same platform he does lol.

Anyways, I know some here have defended the playoff crowd, but it is misplaced, the corporate fans are an embarrassment. Compare Leaf fans to almost ANY other cities playoff fans. Only perhaps Ottawa (when they are in) is as docile.

The truth is home ice is supposed to be about loud, rowdy encouragement and some heat on the opposition. How much of a jolt can a player get on a shift when they feel the buzz when they hit the ice?

It matters. It all matters in tough games.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Joe Bowen calling out the fans. I've done the same on here but I don't have the same platform he does lol.

Anyways, I know some here have defended the playoff crowd, but it is misplaced, the corporate fans are an embarrassment. Compare Leaf fans to almost ANY other cities playoff fans. Only perhaps Ottawa (when they are in) is as docile.

The truth is home ice is supposed to be about loud, rowdy encouragement and some heat on the opposition. How much of a jolt can a player get on a shift when they feel the buzz when they hit the ice?

The crowd is what it is, I don’t think it’s changing. They are pros, they have to find that jolt somewhere else then. Or then Leafs will never win the cup. You have to win your home games.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How much of a jolt can a player get on a shift when they feel the buzz when they hit the ice?
1714146521040.png

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I always say we have a reactionary crowd in Toronto. When we see a big hit, nice save, goal, etc. The crowd reacts loud and get into it.

A lot of the other rinks in the league (Vegas, Carolina, Nashville, etc) are proactive crows. You get the pop on big plays but also consistent noise in between.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
In regards to the crowd, the Leafs also dont use them to hype up the crowd. Physicality is a huge part of the playoff atmosphere and the Leafs barely use it.

Look how insane the crowd went during that Benoit/Reaves shift last game.

I think Boston does a really good job of playing to their home crowd and then playing a completely different game on the road.

You'll notice more scrums/fights/hits take place at TD Garden over Scotiabank arena. It's intentional by the bruins

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Goes without saying we need the qualities you mentioned. Are you saying a cup can be won without physicality/hard checking in your game?
Physicality is one of many different attributes that a player can utilize to potentially assist in their offensive or defensive play, but hitting a ton does not itself help you win, and it is not necessary to win a cup. In fact, 12 out of 18 cup-winners in the cap era have ranked in the bottom half of playoff teams in hitting. A cup has not been won by the highest hitting team in the playoffs, but it has been won by the lowest hitting team. The average playoff hits/60 of the cup winners in the cap era is 30.07 hits. Throughout the Matthews era, we have averaged 34.91 hits per 60 in the playoffs. Through the 5 year period where select people loved to complain we were soft, we averaged 33.44 hits per 60 in the playoffs. Both above the average of cup winners.

Physicality has never been our issue in the playoffs. In fact, it has often been detrimental to us, causing major penalties that throw away games, and suspensions - including to significant players - that have potentially cost us series. We focused way too much on "snot" this year, and all it has done is hurt us. We allowed the first goal of the series 2 minutes in, because we chased a bad hit and allowed a 2 on 1. We've thrown away PP chances and put ourselves on PKs we can't kill with constant undisciplined behaviour. We've killed our own momentum, and created chaos that Boston has thrived and scored on. We ignored defensive play and PKing to instead just cram our defense with big hitters galore, and all we did was make them so slow and unskilled that we can't exit our zone or transition.

Hitting can be helpful. Hitting can be fun. But unfortunately, some put it on a pedestal and seem more concerned with the playstyle we lose with, rather than actually being good.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC

I've been trying to figure it out since last game. I think the issue is not that the crowd isn't loud when they have to be (goal, huge hit, etc.), it's that they're violently quiet in all other situations. The ambiance is so nervous and unpleasant.

You watch other playoff games, and even when there isn't something overtly "cheer-worthy", the atmosphere is electrifying. There's this very loud "at-rest" noise. Those lulls are often punctuated with go x go chants. Hell, you watch Vancouver, and the crowd roars at even the most harmless hits.

That's actually a decent way to put it. Other teams have crowds, we have an audience.

Let's f***ing change that tomorrow, among all other required changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad