Rumor: Bruins interested in Pinto

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

“The Boston Bruins could reportedly be interested in bolstering their center position with Shane Pinto. A source has told Jimmy Murphy of Boston Hockey Now that the Bruins are seen as a potential suitor for Pinto as teams have started inquiring about the cost of the restricted free agent”

I personally don’t think he gets traded, he really has no leverage in salary negotiations with 99 games played over 3 seasons, but hypothetically the Sens would presumably want a prospect rather than anyone that carries a cap hit. What might work?

Reactions: HabsQC

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I could see Ottawa moving Joseph or Brannstrom before moving Pinto.
^ Yes, I would agree.

The Senators do need to clear some (not a lot) cap space to sign Pinto, but I doubt it's Pinto they would move. The cap will increase next year and their dead cap will be removed after this season, so they will be in good shape cap wise next year & beyond. So, they only need to make minimal impact adjustments to get by this year.

Won't be surprised to see an influx of Chicken Little "The sky is falling" responses though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Oh yes they do liver lips.

One Fabian Lysell could pique Ottawa’s interests.
By himself it's not enough.

The problem is these 2 teams are a bad fit.

Presumably OTT would trade Pinto because of cap.
But BOS can't add a lot of cap either.

And while I don't like the "you can't trade a guy in the same division" thing.. I do think NHL GMs think that way.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
These teams don't make a lot of sense as trade partners. Boston is depleted at center, but only at the 1C spot. I have heard no argument that Pinto projects as that, and certainly not this season. Boston actually has a few guys in the Pinto mold (big, semi-skilled center) in Coyle, Geekie and Frederic.

Also, Boston has nothing great to offer Ottawa. Pinto undoubtedly has higher value than any of Boston's prospects given his high floor. On the flip side, Boston needs to keep its top prospects and either hold out hope that they hit their high ceilings or use them as pieces in a trade for a bonafide No. 1 center.

Reactions: Grantham

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Add him to the list of guys they're interested in I guess. FA is where they can find a center and that was a few months ago.

Reactions: hn777

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I believe they want him, because I believe they want every center.

But they have the worst prospect pool in league what prospects could they give?

And even if they could offer up the prospect capital necessary do you really want to spend it on Shane Pinto?

That's the guy?

Whatever prospect capital they do have, wouldn't you want to spend it on a guy like Mark Schifele who could actually be your top line center?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What are Ottawa’s needs? What type of player can they fit into the line up in a trade scenario involving Pinto other then the 3C position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad