Management Bruins GM Don Sweeney addresses signings- All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone can take numbers and make them fit their argument. Let me give it a try:

They are on pace to allow just 210 goals this season. In the past 5 years, the vast majority of teams to make the playoffs have allowed over 210 goals. And the Bruins are doing it THIS year when scoring is up.

Is that sustainable? And it would still project a negative goal differential IMO. I didn't pull those numbers out of nowhere. I looked at the past 5 years in the NHL and projected out what the Bruins will score in total, also looked at it from 3 different rates (2.0, 2.5, and 3.0) in another post/thread. And even at 3.0 GPG, they only equal what the lowest scoring playoff team had last year (Anaheim with 235).

Sure the numbers fit my argument. I don't think I am wrong on this one. I see a team that in it's bottom six is not built for sustained success in today's NHL. Doesn't matter how good defensively a team is, your going to end up in some track-meets from time to time. This team has no chance in those games as currently built.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is that sustainable? And it would still project a negative goal differential IMO. I didn't pull those numbers out of nowhere. I looked at the past 5 years in the NHL and projected out what the Bruins will score in total, also looked at it from 3 different rates (2.0, 2.5, and 3.0) in another post/thread. And even at 3.0 GPG, they only equal what the lowest scoring playoff team had last year (Anaheim with 235).

Sure the numbers fit my argument. I don't think I am wrong on this one. I see a team that in it's bottom six is not built for sustained success in today's NHL. Doesn't matter how good defensively a team is, your going to end up in some track-meets from time to time. This team has no chance in those games as currently built.

Geez man. I thought you were a hell of a lot smarter then this. I can't believe you even asked me that:help:

Is it freaking sustainable?

About as freaking sustainable as them continuing the putrid scoring pace there on.

Carlo back and playing well. Chara and Miller coming back. Their PK is surely to improve and yes they can at least maintain there goals against average with those three in the lineup. They're doing it without them, or have.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Geez man. I thought you were a hell of a lot smarter then this. I can't believe you even asked me that:help:

About as freaking sustainable as them continuing the putrid scoring pace there on.

Carlo back and playing well. Chara and Miller coming back. Their PK is surely to improve and yes they can at least maintain there goals against average with those three in the lineup. They're doing it without them, or have.
Easier to latch on to mediocrity. Odds on you will be right.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I never expected them to continue this bad scoring pace (prior to tonight). They were averaging 1.7 goals over their last 11 going into tonights game. But even their season average (2.6) if projected out isn't as many goals as the lowest scoring playoff team last year, your looking at almost half a goal a game more (roughly 3.0 per game) to get to around 235.

Seems to me tonight's game favors my argument. I said play the young players more, at least they have the potential for offense production.

Heinen puts up 1 G and 1AS

Donato does the same

JFK with a goal.

They didn't come without their defensive miscues, Donato had a bad turnover just before he scored, but the trade off seemed to be worth it.

Meanwhile, the 2 grinder lines didn't get a whole lot done IMO. Backes goal was on the PP.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I never expected them to continue this bad scoring pace (prior to tonight). They were averaging 1.7 goals over their last 11 going into tonights game. But even their season average (2.6) if projected out isn't as many goals as the lowest scoring playoff team last year, your looking at almost half a goal a game more (roughly 3.0 per game) to get to around 235.

Seems to me tonight's game favors my argument. I said play the young players more, at least they have the potential for offense production.

Heinen puts up 1 G and 1AS

Donato does the same

JFK with a goal.

They didn't come without their defensive miscues, Donato had a bad turnover just before he scored, but the trade off seemed to be worth it.

Meanwhile, the 2 grinder lines didn't get a whole lot done IMO. Backes goal was on the PP.
Conveniently posted after a great game.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Good game tonight, but as Don Cherry said on HNIC after the game, Boston really had to win the game, but for Toronto, they lost but, really, “so what?”

And that’s pretty accurate. We’re still a woefully under-talented team playing on adrenaline. We’re not built to last and it’s Sweeny’s fault.

And I wish I could trust him to get us out of it, but I don’t.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Good game tonight, but as Don Cherry said on HNIC after the game, Boston really had to win the game, but for Toronto, they lost but, really, “so what?”

And that’s pretty accurate. We’re still a woefully under-talented team playing on adrenaline. We’re not built to last and it’s Sweeny’s fault.

First thing he needs to address is get some protection on this team . Why are we the ones facing headshots all the time and that to deliberate.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

So when they lose, they talentless, but when they win, it’s because of adrenaline?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney can't afford to wait and needs to make a trade for another quality top 6 winger , to complete that 2nd line

IF Krejci is dropped and he goes back to playing inconsistently .... the blame should squarely be on Sweeney

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Other then Tampa and maybe Caps who has a better healthy roster

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Other then Tampa and maybe Caps who has a better healthy roster

No one.

That's why Sweeney needs to make a move to help put the Bruins over the top. Their close, their real close and they have the assets to acquire that top six forward they so badly need to put them in the driver seat.

Other teams will be making moves in an attempt to make them selves better. At this point right now there looks as if there's going to be a lot more sellers than usual, so Sweeney should have some leverage, besides having some pretty good prospects to dangle.

Reactions: rocketdan9

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wagner must know who’s tough and isn’t on the Ducks because he was all over them and they seemed to want no part of him. I can’t remember seeing this before live. Wagner played as if he knew he could kick every guy on that teams ass.

Ducks have to be right there as the softest teams in the league

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Wagner must know who’s tough and isn’t on the Ducks because he was all over them and they seemed to want no part of him. I can’t remember seeing this before live. Wagner played as if he knew he could kick every guy on that teams ass.

Ducks have to be right there as the softest teams in the league

Getz,Perry, Manson and Ritchie might have something too say about that.

I think it was more of a respect factor. I noticed at the end of the 2nd period Manson toy-fully grabbed the back of Wagner jersey and on one scrum around the net Wagner gave Ritchie a little shot and Ritchie turned quick and saw it was Wagner and skated away. I'm sure more out of respect and perhaps friendly words were tossed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No one.

That's why Sweeney needs to make a move to help put the Bruins over the top. Their close, their real close and they have the assets to acquire that top six forward they so badly need to put them in the driver seat.

Other teams will be making moves in an attempt to make them selves better. At this point right now there looks as if there's going to be a lot more sellers than usual, so Sweeney should have some leverage, besides having some pretty good prospects to dangle.
I’d like Sweeney to add a great second line center

A veteran shutdown D who’s exceptional on the PK

A solid second line forward who has shown he can play thru pain in the playoffs and elevate his game as well

A rugged all around D with a RH shot who can drop the gloves and be a top PK and end of periods guy

Sweeney can add 4 guys like that to a team that just outscored 2 teams 7-1 and could have been more

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’d like Sweeney to add a great second line center

A veteran shutdown D who’s exceptional on the PK

A solid second line forward who has shown he can play thru pain in the playoffs and elevate his game as well

A rugged all around D with a RH shot who can drop the gloves and be a top PK and end of periods guy

Sweeney can add 4 guys like that to a team that just outscored 2 teams 7-1 and could have been more

Really.

That's the easy way out. The Bruins are real close to being able to bring home a Cup and they have the assets and the cap room to help make that possible.

To use that old excuse of. when those guys return it will be like adding players at the deadline. (Is weak) Sure they'll help but them alone wont put you past Tampa and Washington. I also would be more than willing to bet the Leafs aren't done , they'll bring in some defensive help, as they'll have nearly 6 mil in cap space come deadline time.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Getz,Perry, Manson and Ritchie might have something too say about that.

I think it was more of a respect factor. I noticed at the end of the 2nd period Manson toy-fully grabbed the back of Wagner jersey and on one scrum around the net Wagner gave Ritchie a little shot and Ritchie turned quick and saw it was Wagner and skated away. I'm sure more out of respect and perhaps friendly words were tossed.
I was sitting 2nd row and watched it all from a few feet away- sure didn’t look friendly Words at all. Nobody I was with would agree with one word you said here. But in fairness I would have assumed it but because Manson mouthed off at Krejci this was Wagner grabbing his attention and conveying his displeasure. It was clear as day.

You can think whatever you want the Ducks are soft as shit and Manson would have rolled over on his back. As for Ritchie the respect was for Backes who had a nice conversation with him and Ritchie listened and said little and nodded. It was like watching a kid intently listening to a coach or parent not someone who wanted to go

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really.

That's the easy way out. The Bruins are real close to being able to bring home a Cup and they have the assets and the cap room to help make that possible.

To use that old excuse of. when those guys return it will be like adding players at the deadline. (Is weak) Sure they'll help but them alone wont put you past Tampa and Washington. I also would be more than willing to bet the Leafs aren't done , they'll bring in some defensive help, as they'll have nearly 6 mil in cap space come deadline time.
That’s what I would do for now but everyone has different takes that’s just mine

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I was sitting 2nd row and watched it all from a few feet away- sure didn’t look friendly Words at all. Nobody I was with would agree with one word you said here. But in fairness I would have assumed it but because Manson mouthed off at Krejci this was Wagner grabbing his attention and conveying his displeasure. It was clear as day.

You can think whatever you want the Ducks are soft as **** and Manson would have rolled over on his back. As for Ritchie the respect was for Backes who had a nice conversation with him and Ritchie listened and said little and nodded. It was like watching a kid intently listening to a coach or parent not someone who wanted to go
:bow: Your Awesome!!

You gotta love the respect Backes gets out there from his opponents. The way he carry's himself is so important and Beneficial to the younger Bruins and their Maturity as NHL players. A long with Bergy and Chara, you couldn't ask for better role models on the Bruins.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Probably because most of these players were dealt for one another.

Tatar was traded for Pacioretty.

Galchenyuk was traded for Domi

D. Strome and Perlini were traded for Schmaltz.

Pearson wouldn’t have helped, and nor would R. Strome beacause, well, he just isn’t a good player.

Not interested in Pacioretty due to his age and contract situation.
Not interested in either Galchenyuk or Domi, especially the latter considering what he’s doing in quite unsustainable.

You continuously rag on the 2015 draft, so why even mention the 3rd-overall selection from that draft who just hasn’t played anywhere near to “good” hockey. Dylan Strome just doesn’t seem to have it, in my opinion. Although that might be biased, considering I’ve never liked that player. The price for Strome was expensive, mind you.

Ryan Strome reminds me a lot like Magikarp from Pokémon– he really doesn't do much except be the source of jokes and criticism.

That leaves Skinner, who is a really good player of course. He was acquired for Cliff Pu, a second-round pick, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick. That doesn’t seem like much for one of the more prolific goal-scorers in the NHL– I’ll absolutely level with you on that one. However, you don’t know if that type of deal was the same one that was offered to Sweeney or other teams, had they even inquired. It’s not always the case.

The fact remains that Skinner, while immensely talented, might not have fit so well here for the Bruins. They currently have an abundance of left-shot wingers in the form of Bjork, Donato, Heinen and even Cehlarik who all play with finesse and skill. Was Skinner what they were looking for? Especially since he’s a pending-UFA who is going to demand quite the contract, I’d be inclined to say he wasn’t their target.

Sweeney had options in the system going into this season that had a legitimate shot to fill the voids. Whether or not they are ready is clearly in question at the moment. The Bruins need to be healthy before they start addressing the issues they have, in my opinion. This is a bad time for Sweeney to try and make a trade.

Let’s see if Bjork can finally be given an opportunity in the top-six and succeed with it.

Let’s see if Frederic can be the player everyone is asking the team acquire via trade.

Hell, let’s see if Zach Senyshyn gets a shot.

I don’t think it’s time to panic, yet. Let’s just try and remain patient while the Bruins attempt to tread water and stay afloat like they did last season.
the guy they should have been in on is Mike Hoffman. He has been outstanding in Florida and was had for dirt cheap due to the recency of that whole situation with his girlfriend. But that kind of stuff always blows over and the Boston room is rock solid. He'd have been a great pickup. For once Don Godfather has a good point which is that a lot of goal scorers have been moved over the last couple years while the Bruins have had a hard time solidifying the 2nd line wing spot. Yes they traded for Rick Nash and had some bad luck but then they did nothing to replace him. The team is still good and it's not like it's a disaster that they haven't made a trade, but it is fair to ask them to be a little more proactive when teams in their division have improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad