Bruins Board 2014 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I like 4 out of 5 picks, Pastrnak was IMO the best option at 25

Ive seen Donato play, he's good, just wish he was playing at BC or BU

Danton Heinen? Redline rates 316 players, he's not one of them....

Bjork and Johansson, ISS has Jo at 53, Bjork at 104, Red Line Jo 267, Bjork 178, The Hockey news had Bjork at 78, not bad

Interesting that they took 0 CHL players, was it just the way it fell or is it they want more control over their prospects:deadhorse

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

Bjork and Johansson, ISS has Jo at 53, Bjork at 104, Red Line Jo 267, Bjork 178, The Hockey news had Bjork at 78, not bad

Interesting that they took 0 CHL players, was it just the way it fell or is it they want more control over their prospects:deadhorse

Given the youth in Boston and the strength of the prospect pool the Bruins need a longer run up to the contract decision. This is the second year using that strategy.

GM Chiarelli expounded on it yesterday:

“Here’s the attraction to an NCAA pick, or even a European pick: If they’re in a good program, they’ll develop, and you get him for four years, essentially,†Chiarelli said. “Sometimes that youngster isn’t ready, or strong enough, when he turns 20 to play in the American League. So you get that little period where he gets a little stronger, and provided it’s a good program — whether it’s in the European leagues or colleges. Colleges, we see a little more, we’re closer to. We get a lot of good players coming out of college. I like their development, too.â€

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=30327&navid=DL|BOS|home

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really like this draft quite a bit - like last years and also getting Gryzlcyk. Many of these guys were classified as sleepers or under radar guys from at least one of the draft guides or areas I subscribe to or visit. I got my favorite people and fishing holes over the years whose opinions I've noticed seen to have strong success rate on players in the draft and the Bruins drafted 3 this weekend and 3 last year

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

The Heinen selection is a real head scratcher. They must really see something in him but you have to figure based on the fact that no one selected him last year and he was not on any of the scouting reports, that there would be no one else interested in him. Sounds like a good 7th round spoiler to me. No need to take him so high.

HanktheHammer*

Where is Hankthehammer when you need him?

I'm here. I check up on Bruin news from time to time. I can't be on H. K. all the time. I work weekends, SE.

I like the Pastrnak pick. The Donato pick was the best option available in the draft order, so I'm okay with it. I notice that there wan't any selections from the CHL/OHL. Will this be a growing trend for the Bruins? I still like the Bruins to have selected some Canadian kids. The last two drafts were too Euro for my liking. The summer selection of Team Canada U20 came out and NOT one Bruin prospect was called for the summer camp. I'm just putting it out there.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
For those of you worried about the Danton Heinen pick because he wasn't ranked don't be at all. In fact I think he might have been the Bruins best pick for value. I coach Jr Hockey in BC and have seen Heinen closely for the last three years in Major Midget, Junior B and last year in Junior A.

He is an exceptional skater with smarts that separate him from other players at his level. He will be a project in terms of how long until you see him (I expect he'll play at the very least two years at Denver) but he will be a pro. One of the hardest working, classiest kids I've ever met, scouted or Coached against. I know for a fact he had at least a dozen teams that showed strong interest in him. If they didn't take him where they did they likely would have lost him as I know NYR and MTL were two of his strongest suitors. Those two held three of the next nine picks after Heinen's selection. Smart to grab him when they did.

A+

Reactions: bearcountry17

HanktheHammer*

Given the youth in Boston and the strength of the prospect pool the Bruins need a longer run up to the contract decision. This is the second year using that strategy.

“Here’s the attraction to an NCAA pick, or even a European pick: If they’re in a good program, they’ll develop, and you get him for four years, essentially,†Chiarelli said. “Sometimes that youngster isn’t ready, or strong enough, when he turns 20 to play in the American League. So you get that little period where he gets a little stronger, and provided it’s a good program — whether it’s in the European leagues or colleges. Colleges, we see a little more, we’re closer to. We get a lot of good players coming out of college. I like their development, too.â€

Chiarelli has his biases towards the NCAA players because he played college hockey for Harvard. I think the style of play in college doesn't suit the Bruins style of play. I see alot of cheap stickwork and slashes in one college game than in 10 CHL/OHL games altogether. The CHL/OHL path allows the young player to be solely focused on Hockey. The better college prospects don't stay on their full four year commitment. Does the college athlete lose interest in their development there? No, they feel the need to make some money before a potential career threatening injury prevents them from cashing in. And I don't blame them for looking after their future earnings

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

Aaaaand that's why we can't have nice things.

Seriously, that's our justification for passing over better players from the CHL?

Great.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Honestly, could care less if a kid is picked from Europe, NCAA, CHL. I`ve seen plenty of busts in this organization and others from all leagues/countries. About the only kids I`m weary of are those hailing from Russia with that ever present threat of them wishing to return home.

The draft is a crapshoot other than a few can`t misses, and for those of us with a few grey hairs on our head who have watched the draft for decades, we`ve seen more than our share of can`t misses who are packing groceries within a few years too, and many of them hail from the CHL

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
For those of you worried about the Danton Heinen pick because he wasn't ranked don't be at all. In fact I think he might have been the Bruins best pick for value. I coach Jr Hockey in BC and have seen Heinen closely for the last three years in Major Midget, Junior B and last year in Junior A.

He is an exceptional skater with smarts that separate him from other players at his level. He will be a project in terms of how long until you see him (I expect he'll play at the very least two years at Denver) but he will be a pro. One of the hardest working, classiest kids I've ever met, scouted or Coached against. I know for a fact he had at least a dozen teams that showed strong interest in him. If they didn't take him where they did they likely would have lost him as I know NYR and MTL were two of his strongest suitors. Those two held three of the next nine picks after Heinen's selection. Smart to grab him when they did.

A+

That's interesting, thanks. Looking forward to seeing him at development camp.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I'm really happy the Bruins took off their blinders and are now open to the world. Those CHL-OHL days haven't produce much those last years. Plus Sweden developps way too many gems since 2008 to continue ignoring them. Just took the player you think is the best in the world, not just the one you think is the best in the OHL and your chance of success will raise.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
You guys know where the Heinen connection comes from?

Heinen signed with Denver, whose coach is former UMaine star Jim Montgomery. This will be Montgomery's first season at Denver, and Heinen's part of his first recruiting class. Previously, Montgomery had been the Head Coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints... who are owned by Peter Chiarelli.

FWIW, before the draft, Montgomery told a local writer that he believed Heinen could go as early as the 3rd round.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Aaaaand that's why we can't have nice things.

Seriously, that's our justification for passing over better players from the CHL?

Great.

Actually, the numbers point to Collegiate players being grossly undervalued, and Major Jr players being overvalued in the draft. If anything it would appear Chia's ahead of the curve. Now of course, under no circumstance should you choose an inferior player because you think College is a better route, that would be just as silly as picking a worse Major Jr player because, hey that's where real hockey players are grown.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-undervalued-in-the-nhl-draft-and-heres-why/

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
You guys know where the Heinen connection comes from?

Heinen signed with Denver, whose coach is former UMaine star Jim Montgomery. This will be Montgomery's first season at Denver, and Heinen's part of his first recruiting class. Previously, Montgomery had been the Head Coach of the Dubuque Fighting Saints... who are owned by Peter Chiarelli.

FWIW, before the draft, Montgomery told a local writer that he believed Heinen could go as early as the 3rd round.

Good catch. Just a guess, but my gut tells me Montgomery talked to PC, mentioned that the scouts should take a look at him. They probably did, and came away more impressed than his stats and history let on.

Hence why is was selected - PC likely had a list of guys that had to picked before him, but obviously he was next on the list when they got to him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Where do you get "passing over better players" from that?

How many prospects in the last two years have we drafted out of the CHL?

Any?

I think what Colt is saying here, is that there seems to be an effort to avoid the Canadian major junior leagues. And that it's troubling, because they have historically produced by far the most talent and continue to do so.

I'm sorry Colt, if I'm putting words in your mouth. I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but I AM concerned for the same reasons. And it seems as though this team wants to get smaller. And I have concerns about that too.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
seems like they're drafting from europe and college in order to stash the prospects away for a bit since they're are no spots open and they have a bunch of prospects in providence waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad