GDT: Bruins (2) at Leafs (0). You have got to Win. Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I think we should load up the 4th line to try and shut down their top line

Martin-Levio/Plekanec/Brown

Move Kapanen to the Bozak line

If we were allowed to play Martin and Leivo on that wing at the same time that line might be able to stop three or four of the seven goals that the Marchand line would score against them.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm just looking at the goals scored and where and I don't see Rielly in many of those sequences.
Rielly had 9% possession in game 1 and was on for 2 goals against at 5v5. 54% CF in game 2 (but -9 relative) and on for 3 goals against 5v5.

He's been pretty bad. I love Rielly but he's honestly looked overwhelmed and lost.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That would be a very, very hard position to put Grundstrom in. Not sure if I'd be up for throwing him into the fire in a must win game. Maybe try Leivo? Not sure if he can handle the speed we need to be running at though. I think they go with Moore in the end.

Grundstrom has played in the playoffs for Frolunda and the Marlies. There are plenty of rookies that play for the first time in the NHL in the playoffs. If we wanted a like for like replacement, Grundstrom is a fantastic choice. He's going to be the Komarov replacement starting next year.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I don't know but I don't see him being an issue on any of the first 3 goals last game?
Really ? like Really ? are you watching old reruns of games you played on your XBox ? Figure it out bud if guy is on for 5 goals and not involved in the play how is he doing his job ? Like when he ran over Andy instead of boxing out the trailer who scored or when he wheeled away from his man and let him walk out of the corner unapposed to score on McBackup .The guts a freaking tire fire on D

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Don't think Martin is necessarily the "answer", but having him in there and making a big hit here and there to get the crowd fired up isn't the worst idea.
Game 3 last year, leafs were down 2-0 and the life was sucked out of the ACC until Kadri laid 2 big hits on Orpik and moments later Auston scored.

You know what gets the crowd fired up?

Playing well. Creating chances. Scoring goals.

Not Matt Martin sitting on the bench for 54 minutes of a 60 minute game.

The 4th line has been abused this series. Putting a plug on it isnt going to help

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Saw someone (Chris Johnston?) suggest a Nylander-Matthews-Marner first line.

What is there to lose at this point? Can't beat 'em join 'em.

I suspect the lines will be similar to the lines that started the game. Babcock was desperate so he optimized his lines. Unfortunately, a coach won't give up his philosophy for the most important game of the season.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Don't have much hope but if we want any chance at winning this series, winning this game is a must. I see goalies around the league making spectacular saves keeping their teams in it and Freddie lays an egg to start the game and it's always tough to catch up no matter who you have for forwards.

People here always blame the defense but Andersen hasn't made one save this entire series. Yeah we've had bad luck with bounces but that doesn't change the fact that he's been way below average.

Another concern is that the Leafs don't look they are playing playoff hockey. We're not a physical team but if a hit is there to make or take, at least go for it instead of side stepping it.

Those goalies usually end up having to make one or two or maybe three spectacular saves a game...not a spectacular save every shift. Eventually you'll get scored on and regularly. The main issue has been with the defence. Freddy made some pretty good saves early on...even after the 1st goal, he was still pretty dialed in. When the 2nd goal went in (off a tip in I think), he was out of it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Really ? like Really ? are you watching old reruns of games you played on your XBox ? Figure it out bud if guy is on for 5 goals and not involved in the play how is he doing his job ? Like when he ran over Andy instead of boxing out the trailer who scored or when he wheeled away from his man and let him walk out of the corner unapposed to score on McBackup .The guts a freaking tire fire on D

What? There are 5 players on the ice. Sometimes a sequence happens that is out of your control. Rielly hasn't been that great just like his teammates but I'm looking at all of the goals scored against and if you're trying to pawn off all the blame on Rielly, you should probably look at the reruns from my xbox as well.

Speaking of which, did you type your message from your computer at school?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly had 9% possession in game 1 and was on for 2 goals against at 5v5. 54% CF in game 2 (but -9 relative) and on for 3 goals against 5v5.

He's been pretty bad. I love Rielly but he's honestly looked overwhelmed and lost.

What's Hainsey at?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Rielly is a defender worst -3 and he has 2 even strength points. So that's 5 goals against in 2 games.

No other defender has an even strength point.
Yes thanks for the numbers but I said directly responsible. From what I remember Zaitsev has more missed assignments.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think we forget that Andersen was able to make saves too... that helped. ;)
Yeah. Man that guy goes hot and cold. If he had one of his hot streaks, we might be sitting here with a tied series and just be a bit of worry about the bad tendencies in our games so far. I don't think we would have imploded as bad in either game if he had been on his game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes thanks for the numbers but I said directly responsible. From what I remember Zaitsev has more missed assignments.

But then he would have been given a minus if he was on the ice ... unless it is the PK you're talking about. Rielly is 5th. for PK TOI/g for defenders.

Maybe it is time to put Rielly on the PK, at this point it can't hurt.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Has anyone on the Leafs even introduce themselves to the Bruins first line outside of Leo? Leo is broken down and is a shadow of his former self he's done and the Bruins know that. They got what 20 points and have they got hit once?

We have to get more physical players in the lineup. Martin, Levio, Mòore and even Carrick or Borgmen would be a welcome sight.

Fist round of the playoffs it is hit or be hit.

Babcock so far is coaching like he's in Europe not the NHL. Be interesting to see the line rushes today.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
This game will determiine who shows up when times get tough and who cowards away. I expect our Big 3 + Andersen to show up, anything less than a win will be devastating.

It's playoffs so finish your checks but don't go chasing hits. Play fast and outwork them.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
But then he would have been given a minus if he was on the ice ... unless it is the PK you're talking about. Rielly is 5th. for PK TOI/g for defenders.

Maybe it is time to put Rielly on the PK, at this point it can't hurt.
Rielly's total ice time might be a bit much if he takes control of the PK too. I agree that something does need to happen when your PK is running at 50% though with 5 goals against.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Maybe whoever put up the chart still has it ... IIRC Rielly was on for 5 against.
I think Riellywas on the ice but I think @SprDaVE means the front of the net that was supposed to be cleared was not Rielly's assignment at the time of the goal. There was a dfd trying to do that job at the time of the goal.
That was my take on what's being said

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Babcock, not the players should watch the Vegas playoff games on why they are so successful.

Yeah it would be nice if he relied on talent.

Karlsson and Marchessault play together whenever possible. I can't believe it but I really hope he's watching games across the league and learning from an expansion team.

Gallant is an amazing coach. Thank god he's not in our division or it would be one more coach that is forward thinking like Cassidy.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
nGxHwD8.jpg

pF6zm9T.jpg

8xR8LVW.jpg

I am optimistic but even I can't think the Leafs can win 4 straight games if they lose Tomorrow.
So don't lose tomorrow.
for God sakes, kick their butts.
Stealing my hard work is NOT ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad