Rumor: [Brooks] The Rangers are going to blow it all up

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Did Henrik sign off on this? I don't think he'd be too thrilled to have to go through a rebuild at this stage of his career.

IF the Rangers are retooling/rebuilding on the fly the best thing for that plan would be Henrik getting upset and demanding a trade. We have what seems to be an elite goalie in Shestyorkin who times out well with a retool in 2 years. Trading Henrik, McDonagh, Zucc, Nash, Grabner would net you an absolute King's ransom. With the young talent on the roster and in the system plus us being a popular free agent destination Rangers are 2-3 years away from being very competitive again.

Jan 21, 2018
I envisioned seeing Nash in Buffalo at the start of the season but that team's a trainwreck now.

Zuccarello seems like he can drive his own offense, should have plenty of suitors.

And obviously McDonaugh will have almost every other team interested but how many will pay the insane price to land him? Edmonton has the pieces NYR would want, and with their incompetent GM they are the most likely to overpay.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I envisioned seeing Nash in Buffalo at the start of the season but that team's a trainwreck now.

Zuccarello seems like he can drive his own offense, should have plenty of suitors.

And obviously McDonaugh will have almost every other team interested but how many will pay the insane price to land him? Edmonton has the pieces NYR would want, and with their incompetent GM they are the most likely to overpay.

Chia fleeces the Rangers - it's the Islanders he overpays.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I hate Brooks. I think he is trash. His opinions are the worst in sports. But the little worm does keep his ear pressed to the right doors and is usually right about things like this. If these players don't move i am more inclined to think they couldn't be, no one wanted them, or something changed after they decided to do it. If the rangers are rebuilding AV needs to be shown the door the day after the deadline. he shouldnt be allowed to be in the same building as youth players.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
IF the Rangers are retooling/rebuilding on the fly the best thing for that plan would be Henrik getting upset and demanding a trade. We have what seems to be an elite goalie in Shestyorkin who times out well with a retool in 2 years. Trading Henrik, McDonagh, Zucc, Nash, Grabner would net you an absolute King's ransom. With the young talent on the roster and in the system plus us being a popular free agent destination Rangers are 2-3 years away from being very competitive again.

I'm not so sure it would be all that easy to move Henrik and his contract. If he is moved, I doubt the return would be all that great.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With the resources the Rangers have, this is the right move. Not a lot of teams can be in the position to blow it up and bottom out the right way.

I'm most interested to see how they handle Zibanejad, and what kind of return he garners if traded. He has a full NMC that takes effect starting in 2019-20 (1.5 seasons), so if they decide he isn't part of the solution, they'd have to commit to moving him prior to then. He's still quite young, and when he's on he is phenomenal, but similar to his time in Ottawa, it looks like there are still some consistency issues.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
the number of expiring deals is interesting because a) i think in years like this year, where there are a lot of potential sellers (Rangers, Red Wings, Senators, Sabres, Panthers, Coyotes, Canucks potentially Oilers/Canadiens, and if things take a turn soon, Islanders), teams seem to decide they can lowball sellers because there are other places to look, and the sellers seem to end up just holding on, but with expiring deals, there's a certain "might as well" factor to it, and I could see a world where the Rangers being motivated to move guys makes a team like the Coyotes say "okay, we aren't getting what we want for Jason Demers, might as well keep him," or whatever, and b) we've seen teams with tons of expiring deals before end up not selling as much as we think because there just aren't that many teams buying, and at the end of the day, you need bodies. i wonder how much of both those factors led to a situation like when P.A. Parenteau stayed with the Leafs after the deadline in 2016. A few factors involved in both, obviously, like how much any team might want to try to contend next year despite giving up on this one, and how much "can we still tank?" plays a role here. i wonder how much of the deadline is harmed by the new draft lottery rules.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Spooner, zboril, frederic, bjork, 1st, 2nd

For

Zuccarello (1.5 million retained)
Mcdonagh

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Dallas will take Buchnevich

He is probably one of only 3-4 players they wouldn't move unless they were getting equal or better value at the same age.

And, I don't think this means the Rangers are planning on a 3-4 year rebuilding plan. Just like so many other teams around, they can very likely get better and younger.

One thing is for certain though, the coach needs to be fired ASAP. Their recent runs in the playoffs were ruined because of him. I know of few coaches who have gotten less out of his players...

Reactions: Moon Knight

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Pittsburgh Zuccarello.

giphy.gif

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Lots of good pieces there. Some teams will get nice help going into the postseason.

Unfortunately, I do not expect any of those teams to be the Pens.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Dear Rangers Fans,

I know that a rebuild sounds exciting and has long-term benefits....but it sucks. It sucks bad.

Yeah that was a crappy year lol.

But seriously, I don't see the Rangers rebuild/retool taking very long. Say they're keeping Zibanejad, Hayes, Miller, Buchnevich, Kreider, Fast, Shattenkirk, Skjei....and of course have Lundqvist between the pipes. That's a pretty good core, along with Andersson, Chytil on the way. Defense definitely needs some work, along with some top end talent...I think they can turn it around in a couple of years.

Reactions: Moon Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad