News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
“It means the Islanders are contracted that with a group in OVG that one private equity firm is betting big on becoming a gigantic in the arena business.”

What? I’ve read this a dozen times and still not sure what it says. Did he miss a comma? A couple commas? Misplaced a couple words? Misspelled a word? Added a word? Gigantic is a noun? WTF? Can someone put this on google translate?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Public Hearings Regarding Belmont Stadium March 22

'The hearings will take place on Thursday, March 22, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Elmont Memorial Library, 700 Hempstead Tpke., Elmont.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, comments may be sent to Michael Avolio at Empire State Development, 633 Third Ave., New York, NY 10017 or by email to [email protected]. The deadline for submission of comments if 5 p.m. on April 12...'

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Public Hearings Regarding Belmont Stadium March 22

'The hearings will take place on Thursday, March 22, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Elmont Memorial Library, 700 Hempstead Tpke., Elmont.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, comments may be sent to Michael Avolio at Empire State Development, 633 Third Ave., New York, NY 10017 or by email to [email protected]. The deadline for submission of comments if 5 p.m. on April 12...'
Let me guess, you’ve sent Mr. Avolio at least 4 cryptic messages even though you don’t even live in the town/county/state/time zone/country.

Reactions: Costigan77

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
“It means the Islanders are contracted that with a group in OVG that one private equity firm is betting big on becoming a gigantic in the arena business.”

What? I’ve read this a dozen times and still not sure what it says. Did he miss a comma? A couple commas? Misplaced a couple words? Misspelled a word? Added a word? Gigantic is a noun? WTF? Can someone put this on google translate?

The PE firm have seen the projections and like what they see. So they decided to make an investment. I don't think they do this if they had doubts about the arena never getting built or significantly delayed. I see this as only good news.

Reactions: periferal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
And never set foot in Belmont Park, rode the LIRR, driven on Hempstead Tpk or Plainfield Avenue.

Fair point. Love to visit NYC area by 2020. Looks like there are a lot of horse barns between Hempstead Turnpike and Plainfield Avenue acording to Google maps.

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Fair point. Love to visit NYC area by 2020. Looks like there are a lot of horse barns between Hempstead Turnpike and Plainfield Avenue acording to Google maps.
Yeah. There’s tons of horse shit in Nassau county. Especially in the town of Hempstead.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Which genius handles the building of this arena? wang? Ledecky? malkin? they cant even hire a front office for a hockey team. I see this building being as safe as the 6 million dollar foot bridge that collapsed on the 2nd day in florida last week.

gbislander

Sep 21, 2015
Which genius handles the building of this arena? wang? Ledecky? malkin? they cant even hire a front office for a hockey team. I see this building being as safe as the 6 million dollar foot bridge that collapsed on the 2nd day in florida last week.

And the dumbest comment of the week goes to...

The week? More like the dumbest comment since HFBoards started.

Reactions: Eberzal

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

Usually an architect.

Also, Malkin is a real estate person. Not a hockey person.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Well my comment isnt even a joke because alot of people died on something that was so simple...a pedestrian bridge. Does malkin or ledecky or Wang have a nephew or family connected friend just out of architect school? someone they have a hunch can build this? or will they go with the lowest bids that maybe dont have a great track history. I always laughed at the thought that Wang could build a whole city if given the rights to the coliseum parking lot. He couldnt even hire a competant coach or GM. a whole city? ledecky and malkin? are we asuming they build buuldings way better than hockey teams? like the opposite? they hire the best architects not the cheapest? the best products in the builing? the best construction companies? its hard to imagine they hire the best anything with the way they run the islanders.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Usually an architect.

Also, Malkin is a real estate person. Not a hockey person.
I think Oak View is driving it. Leiweke was on Toronto radio this week talking about Seattle's building and franchise and also mentioned OV is driving the Belmont project and that it was on schedule for OCT-2021...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Well my comment isnt even a joke because alot of people died on something that was so simple...a pedestrian bridge. Does malkin or ledecky or Wang have a nephew or family connected friend just out of architect school? someone they have a hunch can build this? or will they go with the lowest bids that maybe dont have a great track history. I always laughed at the thought that Wang could build a whole city if given the rights to the coliseum parking lot. He couldnt even hire a competant coach or GM. a whole city? ledecky and malkin? are we asuming they build buuldings way better than hockey teams? like the opposite? they hire the best architects not the cheapest? the best products in the builing? the best construction companies? its hard to imagine they hire the best anything with the way they run the islanders.

It was meant as a joke and a distasteful joke at that. Considering Malkin has built some amazing malls, I am pretty sure he can build a f***ing hockey arena.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
My only concern with Belmont is that the railroad extended service won’t happen. At the end of the day people will just have to car pool or uber. Most nights the 7,000 something spots will be enough

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
My only concern with Belmont is that the railroad extended service won’t happen. At the end of the day people will just have to car pool or uber. Most nights the 7,000 something spots will be enough

hmm, so for 40 years outside of the years they were good and tickets were ridiculously cheap or our supposed "final year" at the Coliseum we couldn't draw attendance for crap, yet we are expecting thousands of extra people to make the trek to a more of a pain the ass place to go because supposedly the bathroom lines are going to be shorter and there might be better options to eat(who gives a crap about that?)

mark my words, Belmont attendance is going to be worse than Barclays and NVMC

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
hmm, so for 40 years outside of the years they were good and tickets were ridiculously cheap or our supposed "final year" at the Coliseum we couldn't draw attendance for crap, yet we are expecting thousands of extra people to make the trek to a more of a pain the ass place to go because supposedly the bathroom lines are going to be shorter and there might be better options to eat(who gives a crap about that?)

It's all about building a winning team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

You're missing the bigger picture here. The Islanders will get money from everything related to the arena, something that wasn't true at the Coliseum. So even if the Islanders aren't successful at first, if the arena/development is, that benefits the Islanders owners who can then invest into the team if they choose. People will be more excited to go to events when there's more to do than just sit in a parking lot.

Reactions: Costigan77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad