Advice: Broken Thumb

Nov 4, 2017
So I recently broke my thumb playing hockey, and I have three main problems right now. (Worth noting that I broke my right thumb, and I am right hand dominant) Problem 1: I have nothing to do. Whenever I am bored, I will lift weights, play/practice hockey, or shoot/stickhandle pucks. I can't do these things, but I want to stay active, and have something fun to do while I wait for it to heal. Problem 2: Nutrition. I am tired, and hungry alot. When I get home from school, I usually make a PBJ. I can't. Any good snack ideas? I don't like relying on my family whenever I want a snack, and I am always home for an hour before anyone else. Problem 3: There is a possibility I might make it back for our last game. It would mean I need to heal a week quicker than projected. Is there anyway to speed up bone repairing? I am drinking as much milk as possible, but I have nothing else to help. Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks, 900

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Just wanted to make it clear that any more unhelpful posts and/or posts venturing into the medical territory (question #3 is almost there...) will result in thread closure.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So I recently broke my thumb playing hockey, and I have three main problems right now. (Worth noting that I broke my right thumb, and I am right hand dominant) Problem 1: I have nothing to do. Whenever I am bored, I will lift weights, play/practice hockey, or shoot/stickhandle pucks. I can't do these things, but I want to stay active, and have something fun to do while I wait for it to heal. Problem 2: Nutrition. I am tired, and hungry alot. When I get home from school, I usually make a PBJ. I can't. Any good snack ideas? I don't like relying on my family whenever I want a snack, and I am always home for an hour before anyone else. Problem 3: There is a possibility I might make it back for our last game. It would mean I need to heal a week quicker than projected. Is there anyway to speed up bone repairing? I am drinking as much milk as possible, but I have nothing else to help. Any answers would be appreciated.
Thanks, 900
Question 1) Read, Post on HFBoards

2) Vegetables and fruit don't require any prep work

3) Vitamin D can assist in Bone Density but not necessarily Bone Repair. Keep in mind that you will probably have atrophy and won't be able to play immediately even after you reach the 6-8 week guideline.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
What hand do you shoot? You can still work on your stick handling. If you're a right shot, you can strengthen your top hand control. One handed toe drags from right to left and back, etc. Top hand does most of the work any way.

If you're a lefty, get ahold of a right handed stick and puckhandle one handed with your left hand as the control hand. Getting good at that will help with your normal stickhandling.

Reactions: 900

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Pizza pops ftw

I'd just accept now it's better to not play the last game. You might really really want too...but you kinda need a thumb, as you're seeing now.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I played with a broken thumb and a playing cast - it was on my right hand (bottom hand) - and I would not recommend it as I don't think it ever healed properly because of it. Best way for it to heal faster is to avoid using it at all. Rest Rest Rest.

As HansonBro ahead of me said your thumb is kinda important....although you might want to play that last game it's probably not worth it unless you're 100% healed.

Reactions: HansonBro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad