McKenzie: Brodie for Kadri almost happened

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Well of course if the Leafs win the Cup all bets are off.

Let's say the Leafs don't win the Cup and Barrie walks. How do you feel about it?

Im absolutely fine knowing that 4.5 mil we arent paying the 3C will pay to lock Muzzin up.

Question for you. How would you feel if naz only gets 40ish pts again and manages to get a lengthy (10-12) suspension and the baggage that comes with it?

risks taken by both sides here

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Dubas preferred this option. Jankowski is a big center and looks more like a 3rd line C. Kerfoot is in no way a guy you put on the 3rd line to take any of Kadri's minutes. Brodie is better defensively than Barrie, likely cheaper to resign; Barrie is the better player, but the Leafs do not lack another PP guy.

highly debatable.

Dubas doesnt care about "big " guys. He has shown that time and time again with picks,trades and signings. He cares about skill and Kerfoot handily outproduced jankowski the last 2 years.
Dont need to bring up Barrie because obviously he is in a completely different stratosphere offensively and he shoots RIGHT.

woulda preferred hamonic in a flames deal. Brodie is overrated imho and has a knack for brutal giveaways. Giordano makes guys look pretty good. Barrie hasnt exactly had d partners propping him up

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
i guess there are arguments for both packages.

Barrie is better than Brodie. But smaller and will cost more to re-sign

I’m not sure about kerfoot vs Jankowski for the 3C. Kerfoot is better offensively but will cost more.

The Calgary package in my opinion was worse, but bigger local kids who would cost probably 2.5million less to re sign

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Breezes don't start until the sun goes down and last for sundown only. Even then, they don't feel cold. Vancouver feels very hot in the summer. It's average temperatures are brought down by the sporadic rainy days

You spend the entire day in a pool? Lol where? A public pool?

Maybe you went to Vancouver once and it happened to be raining that day.

You are honestly the first person who has ever spoken highly of Toronto's brutally humid summer.

Anyways, here's the actual temperatures
https://m.accuweather.com/en/ca/toronto/m5h/july-weather/55488

https://m.accuweather.com/en/ca/vancouver/v5y/july-weather/53286?monyr=7/1/2018&view=table

Vancouver is the only city that hits thirty or above in July. There was also a ten day period where Vancouver was 28 or above, so more sustained heat too. So this kind of disproves your whole argument.

You literally just lost all credibility the second you posted AccuWeather as a source. It's an American website that neglects Canadian weather and has shown an inability to even translate MPH to KM/H properly. The contrast between sustained winds and wind gusts alone is laughable.

The fact that you posted that joke of a website in an attempt to prove a point and disregard the official Department of the Environment Of Canada is just plain strange.

Here is your real, official forecast coming from the individuals responsible for your official weather warnings and forecasts :

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html

It is expected to be cool, cloudy and rainy 5 of the next 7 days, temperatures forecasted to be below 23 degrees the entire remainder of the week. Not exactly the toasty warm temperatures that you're attempting to preach. Yesterdays official daily high was a measly 20.0 degrees.

As for your "Vancouver is the only City in Canada to hit 30 degrees in July" I have no idea what you're talking about...it is 28 degrees in Toronto as I type this and expected to hit 30 degrees today and tomorrow alone.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You literally just lost all credibility the second you posted AccuWeather as a source. It's an American website that neglects Canadian weather and has shown an inability to even translate MPH to KM/H properly. The contrast between sustained winds and wind gusts alone is laughable.

The fact that you posted that joke of a website in an attempt to prove a point and disregard the official Department of the Environment Of Canada is just plain strange.

Here is your real, official forecast coming from the individuals responsible for your official weather warnings and forecasts :

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html

It is expected to be cool, cloudy and rainy 5 of the next 7 days, temperatures forecasted to be below 23 degrees the entire remainder of the week. Not exactly the toasty warm temperatures that you're attempting to preach. Yesterdays official daily high was a measly 20.0 degrees.

As for your "Vancouver is the only City in Canada to hit 30 degrees in July" I have no idea what you're talking about...it is 28 degrees in Toronto as I type this and expected to hit 30 degrees today and tomorrow alone.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

I was talking about July 2018....I'm not arguing with you on this anymore, as you're clearly fighting a losing battle, but a few more points:

1. You are using average daily temperatures. As state, Vancouver gets cooler around dusk due to breezes.
2. Vancouver has rainy days, that bring down average temperature.
3. Government Canada is notoriously bad at measuring temperature. They use the following data for Vancouver:
Station Results - Historical Data - Climate - Environment and Climate Change Canada

They have very few weather stations in Vancouver, and most are located on or very close to the water, which skews their readings. They have a single weather stating in Vancouver proper, and it's located in the harbour. The government of Canada has actually shut down many of its weather stations in BC since 2014.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I was talking about July 2018....I'm not arguing with you on this anymore, as you're clearly fighting a losing battle, but a few more points:

1. You are using average daily temperatures. As state, Vancouver gets cooler around dusk due to breezes.
2. Vancouver has rainy days, that bring down average temperature.
3. Government Canada is notoriously bad at measuring temperature. They use the following data for Vancouver:
Station Results - Historical Data - Climate - Environment and Climate Change Canada

They have very few weather stations in Vancouver, and most are located on or very close to the water, which skews their readings. They have a single weather stating in Vancouver proper, and it's located in the harbour. The government of Canada has actually shut down many of its weather stations in BC since 2014.

1. I am using average daily HIGHS in Vancouver, not average daily temperatures so there goes that.

2. Rainy rainy days tend to happen everywhere, but yes this was literally my point from the beginning of this conversation. Albeit their precipitation totals are weak, the amount of days with clouds and drizzle are unbearable.

3. I don't care about the rest of BC, were discussing Vancouver. There are plenty of hot and toasty areas in BC, Vancouver is not one of those places. Observations from EC come directly from a weather station in Vancouver Internation Airport, and is literally updated every hour on the clock.

But sure, let's just negate that and throw it in the trash, because it doesn't fit you narrative. :laugh:

"Vancouver was hot this time last year" I don't understand your point? Vancouver is capable of being warm, that's great.... unfortunately the majority of the time it is not hot, it's mediocre to cool. Not my cup of tea.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You guys are talking about weather now? what the

In our defence, it is relevant here, as this thread is about why Kadri wouldn't want to sign in a Canadian city. This is also the first time I've ever heard anyone argue that Toronto has pleasant weather.

But yes, things have skewed off topic.

I wonder if Kadri's major concern was the media in Canada. I'd understand if he went to LA, Chicago, or NYC, why those metropolitan type cities might be appealing over Canadian cities. However, I'm not sure I see the draw of Denver over the Canadian cities.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
In our defence, it is relevant here, as this thread is about why Kadri wouldn't want to sign in a Canadian city. This is also the first time I've ever heard anyone argue that Toronto has pleasant weather.

I wonder if Kadri's major concern was the media in Canada. I'd understand if he went to LA, Chicago, or NYC, why those metropolitan type cities might be appealing over Canadian cities. However, I'm not sure I see the draw of Denver over the Canadian cities.

I don't think so, he seemed to love the attention here. No idea why he passed on Calgary though...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He might not have wanted to go anywhere at all and tried to block the teams most likely to go for him?

That’s my guess

Reactions: blankall

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
This talk is stupid. What I got from everything I've read is Kadri doesn't want to leave Toronto and won't waive for anyone on his 10 team no trade list, Colorado wasn't on that list so he had no say in it.

Reactions: blankall

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This talk is stupid. What I got from everything I've read is Kadri doesn't want to leave Toronto and won't waive for anyone on his 10 team no trade list, Colorado wasn't on that list so he had no say in it.

That actually makes a lot of sense....then yes, most of the talk in here is pretty ridiculous.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think the leafs maybe wanted to make the Brodie trade because they wanted someone a bit more defensively minded and who can PK. I think Kerfoot is much better than Jankowski with this being said.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think the leafs maybe wanted to make the Brodie trade because they wanted someone a bit more defensively minded and who can PK. I think Kerfoot is much better than Jankowski with this being said.

Jankowski will be much cheaper, kills penalties, and was similarly productive at even strength despite playing with worse players. He has proven to be an efficient 3c whereas Kerfoot hasn’t. Kerfoot has played up and down the lineup in Colorado at both the wing and C - he does not kill penalties and has been heavily reliant on the PP for his production. Give Jankowski a good chunk of time with Mackinnon and 2+ minutes a night on the PP and he’s easily a 40+ point player. I definitely see the appeal from Dubas’ perspective. The Calgary deal wasn’t nearly as “sexy” on paper but better fit the Leafs needs.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I may be in the minority but I think Jankowski is better than Kerfoot.

Barrie >> Brodie
Kerfoot < Jankowski

Toronto got the better deal with Barrie being similar to Brodie in terms of defensive play but is miles ahead better offensively. Add in the fact that he is a RHD, something Toronto desperately needed.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Jankowski will be much cheaper, kills penalties, and was similarly productive at even strength despite playing with worse players. He has proven to be an efficient 3c whereas Kerfoot hasn’t. Kerfoot has played up and down the lineup in Colorado at both the wing and C - he does not kill penalties and has been heavily reliant on the PP for his production. Give Jankowski a good chunk of time with Mackinnon and 2+ minutes a night on the PP and he’s easily a 40+ point player. I definitely see the appeal from Dubas’ perspective. The Calgary deal wasn’t nearly as “sexy” on paper but better fit the Leafs needs.

From nhl line combos it looks like jankowski played as much wing as kerfoot

I’m no expert on either but it looks like they both played C and W

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I may be in the minority but I think Jankowski is better than Kerfoot.

Barrie >> Brodie
Kerfoot < Jankowski

Toronto got the better deal with Barrie being similar to Brodie in terms of defensive play but is miles ahead better offensively. Add in the fact that he is a RHD, something Toronto desperately needed.
Agreed. Barrie is better than Brodie and Kerfoot has a slight edge over Jank. That slight edge isn't much though. Different players.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
From nhl line combos it looks like jankowski played as much wing as kerfoot

I’m no expert on either but it looks like they both played C and W

As a Flames fan I can tell you that Jankowski played exclusively at C this past season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As a Flames fan I can tell you that Jankowski played exclusively at C this past season.

Huh. That’s odd. Obviously you would know better just very weird they listed him as a winger multiple times. Must not be accurate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad