Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part IV - Rookie of the Month November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Kid is just amazing. Elite shot.

Just can't get this thought out of my head ... Tkachuk-Horvat-Boeser, how sexy would that be smh

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Much better game for Boeser... found more space and time on the ice. THAT SHOT.
Im warming up to the idea that if he gets it, just unleash it... altho, in the NHL he'll need to develop using his teammates more to open up space for himself.

The competition last night wasn't exactly NHL caliber... but the kid keeps on checking off boxes. Look forward to seeing his progression as the roster quality ramps up as the preseason gms tick by..

Can't ask for much more than what's he put on display yesterday in gm 2.. More of that please.. less of gm 1.

Don't how this guy doesn't score 30 in the AHL with that shot. Sick weapon.

Was neat to see a Virtanen-Boeser line at 4-on-4 for a shift...

* I don't see Upshall making this team.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Much better game for Boeser... found more space and time on the ice. THAT SHOT.
Im warming up to the idea that if he gets it, just unleash it... altho, in the NHL he'll need to develop using his teammates more to open up space for himself.

The competition last night wasn't exactly NHL caliber... but the kid keeps on checking off boxes. Look forward to seeing his progression as the roster quality ramps up as the preseason gms tick by..

Can't ask for much more than what's he put on display yesterday in gm 2.. More of that please.. less of gm 1.

Don't how this guy doesn't score 30 in the AHL with that shot. Sick weapon.

Was neat to see a Virtanen-Boeser line at 4-on-4 for a shift...

* I don't see Upshall making this team.

I don't think Upshall *should* make the team but to be fair he hasn't really had a proper look either.

Put him on a vet team in his PK role and limit his 5v5 minutes and I suspect Green will favour him over someone like Virtanen who doesn't PK and will not be as content getting 5-8 5v5 mins per night.

I don't want Upshall to make the team but I think he fits more into the role that they envision for him than someone like Virtanen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think Upshall *should* make the team but to be fair he hasn't really had a proper look either.

Put him on a vet team in his PK role and limit his 5v5 minutes and I suspect Green will favour him over someone like Virtanen who doesn't PK and will not be as content getting 5-8 5v5 mins per night.

I don't want Upshall to make the team but I think he fits more into the role that they envision for him than someone like Virtanen.

Agree to disagree.
We'll see how the rest of the preseason goes.. but there is nothing he brings to the table other than a reputation for PKing. Didn't help his PK rep in his one game either.
But I would be hypocritical if I put too much weight on a vet's first preseason game... on the flip side he is on a PTO.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agree to disagree.
We'll see how the rest of the preseason goes.. but there is nothing he brings to the table other than a reputation for PKing. Didn't help his PK rep in his one game either.
But I would be hypocritical if I put too much weight on a vet's first preseason game... on the flip side he is on a PTO.

I agree with all of your evaluations but still think that reputation will be enough to get a spot to start season. Plus I think in a vet game and with proper deployment he probably comes closer to filling that role than he did in the LA game with a fairly non-descript roster.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Probably been posted before but why not again right?

Man, sucks that in the final year of their career (maybe) the twins may finally get to play with a 20 year old kid who, had he been born 10 years earlier, might have been *the* perfect linemate for them. Nothing against Burrows and what he brought to the table but from a pure offensive side of things Boeser's shot, puck skills, and offensive IQ is beyond any player they've ever had on their right side. I'm projecting here but I could see Brock as a regular 40 goal guy in the current NHL with prime Danny and Hank on his line.

Shame of missed timing.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how Boeser matches up against the Price's, the Bobrovsky's and the Rinnes while having to contend with the Webers, the Jones' and the Ekholm's.

If they put Boeser on the first line, I can see the opposition going easy on the Sedins and going hard on Brock as neither Sedin has much a shot right now.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Man, sucks that in the final year of their career (maybe) the twins may finally get to play with a 20 year old kid who, had he been born 10 years earlier, might have been *the* perfect linemate for them. Nothing against Burrows and what he brought to the table but from a pure offensive side of things Boeser's shot, puck skills, and offensive IQ is beyond any player they've ever had on their right side. I'm projecting here but I could see Brock as a regular 40 goal guy in the current NHL with prime Danny and Hank on his line.

Shame of missed timing.

Isn't that the story of this franchise though? :laugh: All you gotta do is look back at the Sedins Prime. We have probably our strongest teams ever but have two juggenauts emerge in our conference (along with some other very strong teams) and the year we finally make it through the gauntlet we get a horrible stanley cup matchup (canucks probably win in 5 against Tampa). We finally get through the western teams that have the elite C/D/G combo only to be rewarded with another one in the finals.

You could make a strong argument that this team has never had a franchise defenseman and that its wasted a lot of good forward talent over the past 20-25 years as a result. It's actually pretty sad to think about when you see teams with the luxury of having two at the same time and we can't even find a single one over our entire history. In some ways we are due for a franchise defenseman much like we were due for a franchise goalie like Luongo but I also have this feeling we are just a cruel joke to the hockey gods.

Getting back to Brock I think he can easily be a 40 goal scorer like Pavelski if the impossible happens and we somehow have a Franchise C/D at the same time. I think he's likely to be a 25-30 goal scorer otherwise which is still pretty damn good in this league.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

Shame of missed timing.

On the bright side, it's great that he's here now and not in a few years when the Sedins are gone. Couldn't ask for better guys to show him how to be a pro.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Shame of missed timing.

I dunno, Burrows was actually a pretty great player in terms of IQ and finishing ability, and he understood how to play with them better than anyone. The only big difference I think would be he didn't have a shot that could beat goalies from outside with regularity. But he was also a great forechecker, puck retriever and defensive winger that Brock likely won't be. And he basically scored like a 40 goal scorer with them at even strength. Where someone like Brock could have been great was on the PP

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Isn't that the story of this franchise though? :laugh: All you gotta do is look back at the Sedins Prime. We have probably our strongest teams ever but have two juggenauts emerge in our conference (along with some other very strong teams) and the year we finally make it through the gauntlet we get a horrible stanley cup matchup (canucks probably win in 5 against Tampa). We finally get through the western teams that have the elite C/D/G combo only to be rewarded with another one in the finals.

And even just the timing of the Sedins blossoming into top line players right as the WCE fell apart

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I dunno, Burrows was actually a pretty great player in terms of IQ and finishing ability, and he understood how to play with them better than anyone. The only big difference I think would be he didn't have a shot that could beat goalies from outside with regularity. But he was also a great forechecker, puck retriever and defensive winger that Brock likely won't be. And he basically scored like a 40 goal scorer with them at even strength. Where someone like Brock could have been great was on the PP

Scored 35 goals once. Never cracked 30 in any other season. Sorry, Burr was great for many reasons but his ability to score goals was not one of them. Other players are capable of retrieving pucks and making passes too. Burr wasn't some special unicorn, he was just the best we had. Boeser's skill set is potentially elite and with the Sedins could have been a RR candidate.

And this is meant as no disrespect to Burr who was a fantastic fit and player in his own right. Boeser's just so much more talented.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Scored 35 goals once. Never cracked 30 in any other season. Sorry, Burr was great for many reasons but his ability to score goals was not one of them. Other players are capable of retrieving pucks and making passes too. Burr wasn't some special unicorn, he was just the best we had.

Disagree.

Burr WAS a special unicorn and his greatest assets were between his ears and under his left pec.

Burr's spatial awareness and sense of timing was phenomenal which was what allowed him to be a good teammate to Kes as well as to the Sedins. It's also what made him such a good PKer.

Burr didn't take a shift off which, based on what we've seen from players today, is something we took for granted.

You win with players like Burr (in his prime obviously). They're all business all the time and set the tone for the rest of the team.

Boeser's skill is obviously much higher than the undrafted Burr but we have no idea what type of person he is until we do.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Disagree.

Burr WAS a special unicorn and his greatest assets were between his ears and under his left pec.

Burr's spatial awareness and sense of timing was phenomenal which was what allowed him to be a good teammate to Kes as well as to the Sedins. It's also what made him such a good PKer.

Burr didn't take a shift off which, based on what we've seen from players today, is something we took for granted.

You win with players like Burr (in his prime obviously). They're all business all the time and set the tone for the rest of the team.

Boeser's skill is obviously much higher than the undrafted Burr but we have no idea what type of person he is until we do.

Too much romanticizing going on in that post.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Scored 35 goals once. Never cracked 30 in any other season. Sorry, Burr was great for many reasons but his ability to score goals was not one of them. Other players are capable of retrieving pucks and making passes too. Burr wasn't some special unicorn, he was just the best we had. Boeser's skill set is potentially elite and with the Sedins could have been a RR candidate.

And this is meant as no disrespect to Burr who was a fantastic fit and player in his own right. Boeser's just so much more talented.

You're missing the point. 40 goal scorers don't score 40 at even strength. Burrows' even strength goals were likely not much different than Boeser's would be even if he was a 40 goal scorer, because to be one you're likely scoring 10+ goals on the PP, whereas Burrows rarely played there. In Burrows' 4 year peak from 08-09 to 11-12, he was 6th in the league in even strength goals. Burrows might not have been as talented but it's unlikely a potential Boeser would have produced more with them while also bringing less to the table. It would make more sense to put a player like that on another line given he could likely put up the same numbers without the Sedin's there, whereas Burrows couldn't, then play Boeser on the PP

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You're missing the point. 40 goal scorers don't score 40 at even strength. Burrows' even strength goals were likely not much different than Boeser's would be even if he was a 40 goal scorer. The difference would be on the PP where Burrows rarely played. In Burrows' 4 year peak from 08-09 to 11-12, he was 6th in the league in even strength goals

As he should have been. What were the Sedins in assists over that period? 1st and like 5th or something?

Played with two elite playmakers who looked to pass more than shoot. Burr did well with them, I think Boeser would have done even better.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We'll agree to disagree Mr. Vulcan.

Hey I'm not saying he can't be on posters in your room. I'm saying there's more to a great player than the things you are hyper-extolling in your post.

But whatever, I know I'm gonna get buried by a mountain of rabid Burr fans so I'm happy to leave it as is. Emotion and fandom are gonna win out in any discussion about the guy, I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad