Brock Boeser out indefinitely with blood-clotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
You asked why we were hearing about blood clots more often now (presumably in the context of the NHL), I think my post addresses that question with a reasonable explanation.

If this happened to a player in the 80's, I bet we never hear about it and he plays despite the risk. Times have changed, and I think for the better in this regard.
Of course not back then men were men, no one would have missed a game 7 unless they were on their death bed

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Hate to see this.

Hope his docs can manage or clear it up in short order.

We all love this game. We get into petty, stupid (and frequently, fun) fights about our differing loyalties to our usually geographically-assigned franchise of choice... but while hockey=life... life>hockey. My best wishes aren't worth squat, but he's got them regardless.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
When it rains it pours.
Yeah it sucks, wish we had won game 6 but then again we would basically have 0 chance of doing anything next series. But beating the Oilers and losing the next series would still be fine with me, as long as the Oilers would have been eliminated. Now its hard to beat Oilers with Demko and Boeser out, injured Hughes and a depressed Pettersson.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Of course not back then men were men, no one would have missed a game 7 unless they were on their death bed

Yeah you tell him. He should put his health on the line for a hockey game, that's a very brave thing to say from behind a keyboard.

I'm sure next time you face a medical emergency, you'll ignore all the advice of your doctors and not miss a second of work, no matter what the consequences may be. You only live once, might as well live it to make your employers happy at the cost of your own health and well-being.

Reactions: Tempo and elmaco

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
That's probably the Canucks' season done.

Absolutely brutal. After everything Brock has been through, he comes back and has the best year of his career so far and finds yet another gear in the playoffs only to have it end like this. Shitty.
Losing Brock is huge for you guys, but the series is definitely not over. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Blood clots are no joke no matter time of year it is, but I'm sure he's probably more upset than anyone that he won't make game 7.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
That's probably the Canucks' season done.

Absolutely brutal. After everything Brock has been through, he comes back and has the best year of his career so far and finds yet another gear in the playoffs only to have it end like this. Shitty.
Yeah i feel for Brock. He is a good guy and has rotten luck with his dad passing away, being depressed for a while and now this. Hope Canucks win the game tomorrow for him

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Brutal news. He’s a great guy from all accounts.

Wish him the best. He has just hit his stride too.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You should be ashamed, comparing a player that can play with a little booboo with someone who has blood clot and will miss the game.

I was responding to a post saying how many breaks do Edmonton need. Both teams are getting plenty of breaks.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I was responding to a post saying how many breaks do Edmonton need. Both teams are getting plenty of breaks.
Edmonton is actually pretty healthy. No key guys out compared to Canucks who will now have Boeser and Demko out for game 7. Who is out for Edmonton??

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton is actually pretty healthy. No key guys out compared to Canucks who will now have Boeser and Demko out for game 7. Who is out for Edmonton??

Edmonton isn’t healthy they’ve just got players who are playing through issues. McDavid is clearly hurt, Drai and Ekholm too. Kane has a sports hernia and can’t skate properly. Henrique is out now and when he was playing was trying to skate with an ankle injury.

As I said both sides getting breaks. I think playing against McDavid who can’t shoot properly and is basically only a passing threat is a pretty big break.

Reactions: TKB21

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So you're one of these people that want to pretend that this has always been happening.

Blood clots? No, they weren't invented this year and professional athletes do face some potential risk factors for them (frequent flights, injuries, dehydration). But it can happen to anyone at any time, so there's no use speculating what caused his particular case.

Even back in 2015 they were becoming more commonly diagnosed in sports, Dupuis had to retire because of it that very year:
Reasons vary, but with better awareness of the problem, more athletes are being diagnosed with and treated for blood clots than in the past.

"It's getting more common," said Fleischmann, a Florida Panthers forward who has now played almost four years since clots were found in his lungs. "I think it's one thing you've got to be watching and be careful about in the hockey world right now."

It's all about them," said the married father of four. "If all this was on me or if I would have taken a selfish approach to this, I would still be playing.
-Dupuis on his retirement

I think that kind of sentiment is more common among athletes than it was in the past. Dupuis put his family above himself, and others are just plain putting their health above their employer's bottom lines.

Sadly, blood clots have always been a thing. But players are often able to return, hopefully Boeser will be back next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad