Proposal: Bring Lucic to MN

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You're justifying Rask, Foligno and a 2nd for #8, Lucic and Gagner with "if you're afraid to ask for the moon you'll never get it." Does that not more or less concede the point Dr Jan Itor was making? That this is a bad trade for the Oilers?
This is a thread about the Oilers dumping Lucic.

Why would the Wild help them in that regard unless we were well compensated?

Why would we fear them saying no?

We don't care one way or the other.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This is a thread about the Oilers dumping Lucic.

Why would the Wild help them in that regard unless we were well compensated?

Why would we fear them saying no?

We don't care one way or the other.
You including Rask kinda defeats the point, does it not? No way they send 8th overall with Lucic if we are sending Rask back.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Lucic is so much worse than Rask. He shouldn't be in the NHL are this point.

Rask we hate because he cost us Nino, but he is still an upgrade at 3rd line center for a team like Edmonton.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Their numbers seem pretty similar the last couple years actually.
Rask is 5 years younger and hasn't fought his entire career. He needs a healthy season, skating coach, and a different situation.

Lucic is already in the best situation for himself and he can barely move around the rink.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

From cap friendly

• The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Rask is 5 years younger and hasn't fought his entire career. He needs a healthy season, skating coach, and a different situation.

Lucic is already in the best situation for himself and he can barely move around the rink.

I have my doubts that either of them are anything more than 4th liners at best. Being young doesn’t automatically mean that you can get better.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I have my doubts that either of them are anything more than 4th liners at best. Being young doesn’t automatically mean that you can get better.
That is fine but I still would not negotiate against ourselves. Chia screwed the Oilers in more ways than one, and they are in a tough spot.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So, if you were GM of the Edmonton Oilers, you’d trade 8th overall+Lucic+Gagner for 2nd+Rask+Foligno?
Depends on what else I could get for the 8th overall (e.g. RHD) or what moving Lucic would cost me elsewhere.

But I would consider it. Better 3rd line. Better center depth. Money to get a needed free agent or buyout another Chia mistake. Positive for lockeroom. On ice addition by subtraction with dumping Lucic. And I will get a good player with that 2nd rounder.

And I probably do not have the time to wait until that 8th overall player is an impact player because McDavid will have demanded a trade by then if the Oilers havent improved.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
8th + Lucic for Zucker might do it for EDM. They get immediate forward help, and get rid of a big cap headache in Lucic. Depends on how desperate they are, but the 8th pick is probably 2 years at a minimum from being a factor in the NHL, maybe 3. And then there are those who take longer than that, let alone those who simply just don't turn out.

Lucic...ugh, that's an ugly contract to have around, but that 8th and the 12th together would give us a shot at having a relevant forward group in a couple/three years, assuming KK comes over and is as advertised.

EDM is definitely motivated to get their shit together sooner rather than later, but I don't know if Leipold is very patient, either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just no.
- NMC: he'd probably only agree to a waive it from EDM if he it would be guaranteed to his next team. Expansion draft protection.
- Expensive, long-term, buyout-proof contract.
- He fits nowhere on the roster. Foligno is better, half the price, and less term.
- There are better ways to spend $6m/yr.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
From cap friendly

• The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Could they buy him out before the expansion?

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Lucic's buyout is awful. Unless you mean compliance buyout?

How so?. I mean if we bought him out and didn't have to protect him in the expansion wouldn't it be worth the 8th overall?

I have really no idea which is why I asked. I suppose if it was that easy Edmonton to do it

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How so?. I mean if we bought him out and didn't have to protect him in the expansion wouldn't it be worth the 8th overall?

I have really no idea which is why I asked. I suppose if it was that easy Edmonton to do it
His buyout is almost as bad as just keeping him on the roster. The only upside would be to not protect him in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad