Confirmed with Link: Brindley Signs

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Teams have players under control for 7 years with the standard ELC. Making it 6 years by playing in a single game.

It really doesn't make any difference long term. If the kid is a keeper, all it means is that he'll get an RFA raise a year earlier.

Oops. I forgot that Johnny "59 points -30" Hockey and 8 year Severson will still be on the books.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Teams have players under control for 7 years with the standard ELC. Making it 6 years by playing in a single game.

3 with the standard, 2 by playing a single game.

I know you're talking about the RFA years, but that's different from the ELC.

It really doesn't make any difference long term. If the kid is a keeper, all it means is that he'll get an RFA raise a year earlier.

This part sounds right to me.

He can become a UFA in 7 years after playing his first 40 game season, that more important clock hasn't started yet. It looks like we just started it with Jiricek though, that's just great.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
3 with the standard, 2 by playing a single game.

I know you're talking about the RFA years, but that's different from the ELC.

This part sounds right to me.

He can become a UFA in 7 years after playing his first 40 game season, that more important clock hasn't started yet. It looks like we just started it with Jiricek though, that's just great.
RFA years was my intention.

I just don't think the year is anything to worry about. I also think that 6 years of club control is more than enough.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Burning a year of eligibility seems to be the norm for kids of certain pedigree. It's a non-issue and could be the tipping point in getting a kid into the system instead of giving him more time to decide to return to school when it's clear the team wants him under their control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
*scratches head

So like, are they doing this to keep Brindley happy or something? Why not just wait in the off-season to sign him?

(I'm just confused since it's not like he can help the Monsters' playoff run)

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
*scratches head

So like, are they doing this to keep Brindley happy or something? Why not just wait in the off-season to sign him?

(I'm just confused since it's not like he can help the Monsters' playoff run)
Its an incentive to get someone off the fence. Nice signing bonus, one year closer to big boy contract, a fair (but not likely) chance to make the team.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'm thinking he would like to be getting paid quicker. Elvis did the same thing.

Honestly whatever. This franchise doesn't exactly have the winning pedigree to tell young kids with talent to shutup and earn it for 3 years so if it got him signed so be it.

If he plays in any games I think we'll have our answer.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
$95,000 in signing bonuses + an NHL game check (should be another $12k or so) + getting to RFA a year sooner is a really strong incentive to turn pro tbh.

on the CBJ side, it ensures that they don't lose him as a college UFA in a couple years (even if it was a remote chance) + gets a player who they are clearly very high on into their hands for development.

Reactions: Doggy and Seedtype

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This guy will play here 12 years and some of you will still gripe about burning a year. Jarmo's fault. CBJ doesn't know what they are doing.

There is little impact to this and more incentive for the player to get going. Nazar did the same thing. This is common these days. He's signed and in the fold... take a minute to be happy for goodness sake. Not everything needs to be run through the mud for cbj.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad