Confirmed with Link: Brian Rolston Retires

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Wish him nothing but good things, always a class act.

Brian Rolston, a Michigan-born winger who scored 342 National Hockey League goals playing for five teams, retired from the league after 17 seasons on Tuesday.

Rolston, who made his NHL debut in 1995 playing for the Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, also had stints in Colorado, Boston, Minnesota and New Jersey for a second time before finishing his playing career in the 2011-12 season, splitting time between the New York Islanders and a second stint with the Bruins. He appeared in all seven games of the Bruins Eastern Conference Quarterfinal loss to the Washington Capitals, notching a goal and two assists.

"Getting the chance to play the game I love for 17 years has truly been a dream come true," said Rolston. "My career has taken me to many great places where I had the privilege to play with some exceptional teammates and in the best league in the world. The memories of all my experiences will certainly stick with me for the rest of my life. I am grateful for the overwhelming support of my friends, family and fans throughout my career."

Rolston was drafted 11th overall in the first round of the 1991 NHL Entry Draft. After attending Lake Superior State, Rolston spent nearly two years with the AHL's Albany River Rats, before being called up to New Jersey for their first championship season and never looking back. Rolston will be noted for having a particularly excellent slap shot, as evidenced by nearly 350 goals, as well as his solid two-way play, learned by playing for many years under Jacques Lemaire.

The Flint, Michigan native also represented the United States in international competition. He played in the 1994, 2002 and 2006 Winter Olympic games, scoring seven goals in eight games at Lillehammer in 1994. He also played -- albeit, only in one game -- on the winning Team USA 1996 World Cup squad assembled by Lou Lamoriello. He also represented the U.S. in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, and in the 1996 World Championships.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/4/30/4286238/brian-rolston-retirement-nhl

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nooooooooo!!!!

He's part of my American come back plan for the Devils...Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Scott Gomez, Paul Martin, and Brian Rolston must return!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If we held on to the lead in Game-7 vs Carolina he would have scored the GW goal of the series.

He was a great player and a first class gentlemen off the ice.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
maybe he can get that winking thing looked at now

35komld.jpg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The thing I choose to remember about his 2nd stint in New Jersey is the way he played after he got waived. He didn't complain, or *****, or demand a trade, or refuse to report. He said the right things and he played his ass off.

Really admire that. Showed a lot more class than our captain at the time did. He seemed like he really wanted to be here and it's unfortunate things ended the way they did.

Semak

The man just retired and was a class act through and through. If you have nothing nice to post, don't post anything at all. Move along.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Always liked the guy. Wasn't crazy about his most recent contract, but that wasn't his fault, and I never doubted his heart.

Maybe we'll see him in Devils Alumni games now. ;)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Loved him during his first stint. Was even kinda mad that Jacques made him a healthy scratch for much of the 95 playoffs. I did really like the way he played during the second half of 10-11 too. He was a big part of that run.

I've also heard he was a real sweetheart of a guy too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Now which Devil is Lou going to bring back next year now?!? :rant:

Seriously though he was awesome and a class act. Always was a big fan of his. I do hope that he shows up if we do an alumni thing at the outdoor game next year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The man just retired and was a class act through and through. If you have nothing nice to post, don't post anything at all. Move along.

wait what? we cant post our views on a player if they aren't positive? i never minded rollie myself, but that seems kinda weird. may we extend this policy to marty as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad