A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

46481772-1cae-4c79-95cc-f5e219605662_text.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If it's an ACL, then put a brace on to keep it from failing laterally, give him pain killers and put him on the ice. No need for the knee to move that direction in hockey and it won't cause him any more damage.

I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight, so you can take this diagnosis to the bank.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A funny (at least to me) story when I was in my early 20s, we played on a softball team. We had 10 guys and my roommate, who was our left fielder was going back for a long fly and tore his ACL. We called the ambulance for him, but like stupid 20 year olds, we couldn't finish the game without 9 players so we let him go to the hospital on his own while we finished the game.

Before the 9th inning, we see this same guy jogging (yes, jogging) across the field toward us. They gave him a brace at the emergency room and told him he needed ACL surgery, but there was nobody to give him a ride back, as we were all playing the game, so he hitch hiked (this was in the early 90s) back to the ball field to join us. His knee was really swollen and he didn't go back in, but he came to the bar with us after the game and seemed normal.

He got his ACL surgery a couple weeks later.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What about a defensive lineup of

Slavin. TDA

Skjei. Burns

Orlov Chatfield

Slavin was able to work well with TDA 2 years ago

Burns and Skjei I believe could be a good pairing

And we know how well Orlov and Chatfield work together

PK benches TDA, and PP TDA goes Point on first unit and Burns and Skjei fill out second unit, with Burns playing forward

Reactions: The Jerk Store

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What about a defensive lineup of

Slavin. TDA

Skjei. Burns

Orlov Chatfield

Slavin was able to work well with TDA 2 years ago

Burns and Skjei I believe could be a good pairing

And we know how well Orlov and Chatfield work together

PK benches TDA, and PP TDA goes Point on first unit and Burns and Skjei fill out second unit, with Burns playing forward
That seems way more complicated and disrupts the other two pairings, which work well presently.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A funny (at least to me) story when I was in my early 20s, we played on a softball team. We had 10 guys and my roommate, who was our left fielder was going back for a long fly and tore his ACL. We called the ambulance for him, but like stupid 20 year olds, we couldn't finish the game without 9 players so we let him go to the hospital on his own while we finished the game.

Before the 9th inning, we see this same guy jogging (yes, jogging) across the field toward us. They gave him a brace at the emergency room and told him he needed ACL surgery, but there was nobody to give him a ride back, as we were all playing the game, so he hitch hiked (this was in the early 90s) back to the ball field to join us. His knee was really swollen and he didn't go back in, but he came to the bar with us after the game and seemed normal.

He got his ACL surgery a couple weeks later.
A coworker of mine who’s a big runner and skier talks about his ACL all the time. He ripped it skiing but had no idea he had done it. He did another run to be sure he was done for the day, went home and rested it. Some ice and ibuprofen the next few days then he went to work. It hurt bad enough to eventually get it checked out, the doc told him the news and since it was doing ok and getting mildly better he decided he didn’t want surgery and the doc agreed. He rehabbed it and he’s still a marathon level runner and shreds on the slopes.

Playing in the NHL in the first few weeks? Not so sure about that. I’d imagine the swelling would be a huge issue early on, and we all react differently to these things.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
A coworker of mine who’s a big runner and skier talks about his ACL all the time. He ripped it skiing but had no idea he had done it. He did another run to be sure he was done for the day, went home and rested it. Some ice and ibuprofen the next few days then he went to work. It hurt bad enough to eventually get it checked out, the doc told him the news and since it was doing ok and getting mildly better he decided he didn’t want surgery and the doc agreed. He rehabbed it and he’s still a marathon level runner and shreds on the slopes.

Playing in the NHL in the first few weeks? Not so sure about that. I’d imagine the swelling would be a huge issue early on, and we all react differently to these things.

I'm no doctor (well, not that kind any way), so forgive the ignorance, but if it is not a big deal, why did Svech get shut down?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm no doctor (well, not that kind any way), so forgive the ignorance, but if it is not a big deal, why did Svech get shut down?
Everyone is different with different circumstances. My buddy isn’t a pro hockey player on a huge contract with expectations. Not getting it fixed can still have consequences and affect you down the road. It may not heal well, you may always have trouble with it. Just because you can maybe skate without one doesn’t mean you’re going to be fine in all circumstances. Especially at Svech’s age, getting it done right and hopefully get close to full strength on it makes a difference long term. I also don’t know if I believe you don’t need it for skating. A stronger all around knee is a stronger all around knee. There’s a give and take based on age, lifestyle and expectations. My buddy knew not fixing it might have complications, but it was going well and it didn’t stop him in the end…..while not having to stop life/work when he has three kids and be out of service for months when he was in his early to mid 40’s. My work does a decent job taking care of us overall but if you’re out more than three months you’re on disability which has some consequences. I’m on that right now recovering from a surgery and while getting normal sleep for an extended period of time is amazing I would rather not be on disability and I’m looking forward to getting back to work.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Because we had just signed him to an 8-year extension?

Right now the decision is "do you want that to be Pesce's last game as a Hurricane or not?"

As bad as it is to say, for Pesce, the Canes likely don't care about the long-term implications of not fixing the injury. That's the team that signs him next year's problem.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Right now the decision is "do you want that to be Pesce's last game as a Hurricane or not?"

As bad as it is to say, for Pesce, the Canes likely don't care about the long-term implications of not fixing the injury. That's the team that signs him next year's problem.

Yeah, but I bet he cares. If he has a torn ACL, I doubt he steps on he ice for the Canes again....without a new contract.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If I recall, the games we played without 22 this year, we looked damn good.
The real big problem arises if we lose another one. Matchups on the road would be the death of us if that happens.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

There’s the flip side of that from Pesce’s side, how many chances will you have to win the cup? If/when he leaves will he be in this position ever again? He’s old enough to know there’s no guarantee you’re getting on another team like this. Even with a bad knee injury he’ll be wanted and has value. I have no doubt the gm’s of the league would giggle about this boards view of Pesce and his play. He’s going to find work even with a knee that will need some time. Us not having him will impact this team. Skjei has become what he is in no small part because of Pesce. It’s not different than the effect playing with Slavin has had with three other righties since Pesce.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad