Injury Report: Brett Pesce

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This, right here, is why acquiring Orlov and even TDA was a prudent idea despite the positional overload in the regular season. Even with Pesce's injury, we still have 4 top-4 caliber defensemen, and we know from the 1st season without Hamilton that TDA can play quite well when attached to a defensive D like Skjei or (especially) Slavin. I'm not terribly worried as long as injuries are not a repeated pattern.

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Assuming it is long term, he's now suffered season-ending* injuries in last night's game and the david ayres game.

hey, brett - the two most painful games in your career? Yeah, people will love them forever!

(*ignoring covid season weirdness - he would have missed the rest of a normal season that year)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If that's the case, it's a bummer, but I'll wait and see. There have been plenty of times things looked or were reported to be bad and it wasn't that bad.

If so, everyone deals with an injury or two like this if the go all the way. Our depth after Tony D isn't exactly inspiring, but that's one of the reasons to have this high end D lineup. We can absorb it. You'd like to be able to plug every single hole at the deadline but sometimes it doesn't come together.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Hoping the best for Pesce, but I’m rooting for Tony if he steps in. He sat in the pressbox all season, and took it like a champ. It would be a great story if he comes in and plays like a monster. We know he can at least be serviceable if paired with someone defensively responsible.

Honestly, he would be an upgrade on Burns on the PP. TDA is better at distributing the puck, the only thing Burns adds to it is his Shot, but he can’t seem to ever get it on the net this season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Damn. We go from a huge strength on this team to a question mark. We needed all 6 guys and now we need the 7th. For sure Tony will be the go-to, but that makes me hesitant given the warts in his game. Probably many of them have been from not seeing game time for months of the regular season. Now he gets to go. Burns had a lot of oops moments last night with the puck, and a playoff team can't handle too much of that. Tony needs to be pick his moments wisely. He does give us some puck movement options. And it's better to stick in Tony at 2-0 in the series than at any other point.

A defense with Slavin, Burns, Skjei, DeAngelo, Orlov, and Chatfield should hands down be the best puck moving group of defensemen in the NHL.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Orlov is fine. He's not worth 8m but he is still fine defensively these days with chats. Im not sure if that's chats, orlov, or both.

Just keep TDA away from him. Far away.
1713877478203.jpeg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sucks this happened and really sucks it happened in a contract year

That said, the team has the depth to withstand it so I'm not overly worried. We go from the deepest defensive core I've seen in the cap era to just a very deep one.

Also, for those hoping to keep Pesce going forward, this could be a way to make that happen, because it's going to kill his value in FA. Which sucks, big time sucks.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
While a team like Buffalo might still throw a big dollar contract at him that's just such brutal timing for him financial wise as well if it's an ACL or something long term.

Hopefully Rod's medical knowledge comes through again and he's back soonish.
This injury is why it’s hard to blame players for taking the $ when the opportunity presents.

Wish him the best.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A right side of Burns-Pesce-Morrow next year is more confidence-inspiring than Burns-Chatfield-Morrow. But that also would depend on what Pesce signed for. IF they could somehow keep Skjei and Chatfield, I’d hope they go down that path before giving Pesce term.

Hopefully his current injury isn’t as bad as feared.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Non-contact isn't good but the way he skated off the ice I really believe it wouldn't be worse than a grade 1 or borderline grade 2 tear if it is ACL or MCL related.

Doesn't answer anything for these playoffs but would at least be a better long term prognosis for him. Fingers crossed.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Non-contact isn't good but the way he skated off the ice I really believe it wouldn't be worse than a grade 1 or borderline grade 2 tear if it is ACL or MCL related.

Doesn't answer anything for these playoffs but would at least be a better long term prognosis for him. Fingers crossed.

This reminds me of Svech last year. I don't know the grade he had, but I bet Brett is done for the season.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sadly, the wear on his body, and this is only adding to it, is why I've repeatedly advocated for moving on from him after this season. I hope he can come back for this run, and I hope he gets paid a lot for a long time, but not by us. If it is a catostrophic leg injury, that just takes a part of his game that might already be deteriorating and possibly makes it worse. I might not even really be open to a short term contract pending the outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad