• Pesce

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Brodin

Votes: 55 66.3%

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Good poll, they are both absolute rocks. I’d shade Brodin simply for a slightly higher usage and reliance level for his team. Granted, Spurgeon and Dumba aren’t chopped liver but after this season I’d consider Brodin the best defenseman on that blueline without question. Pesce usually gets second pair minutes behind Slavin and whomever he is paired with - although I’d also have no issues with him soaking up bigger minutes reliably either. Just a luxury the Canes have.

They both belong in the convo of top defensive blueliners in the league along with Slavin, Pelech, etc. The fact that the Canes can anchor two pairs with two of the best is wild. Ask the Rangers how that is working - Pesce was great the other night. Suffocating.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well it goes without saying that Brodin is better defensively, and their offensive output is pretty similar, so Brodin.

Lil rat

Oct 26, 2019
Well it goes without saying that Brodin is better defensively, and their offensive output is pretty similar, so Brodin.
Pesce is also very very good defensively, not so sure that brodin is better without any second thought

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've always found Pesce insanely underrated. He's one of the best steady defensive presence defencemen in the league. Just one of those defencemen who isn't always noticed on the ice, until you start to notice that nothing bad is ever happening when he's on the ice.

I don't know why he doesn't get the same sort of hype and adulation heaped upon Slavin tbh. I don't think they're that far apart.

Reactions: emptyNedder

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pesce is also very very good defensively, not so sure that brodin is better without any second thought

No need to muddy the waters by pretending there needs to be a conversation. Pesce can still be very good defensively, but Brodin is one of the best.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I haven't seen the stats through the end of the season, but at the AS break, Pesce/Skjei were taking slightly more difficult matchups than Slavin/DeAngelo. So Pesce is not a pure 2nd pairing Dman.

One game against the Oilers makes the case for Pesce. He was on the ice for 70%+ of the time against Draisaitl. Not only was it one of the few games Draisaitl didn't get a point, he didn't register a shot on goal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pesce is vg defensively, if not excellent. It's just that Brodin is considered by many as THE top defensive Dmen in the league. His IQ, technique, puck retrieval, and stick are superb, but his main differentiator is his skating. He is fast, but his edges and transitions are impeccable. Pesce just doesn't have the wheels to compare.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad