Brett Pesce or Matt Dumba

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
A lot of rumours about us trading for Pesce for top pair RD to play with Josi.
But he will not be cheap and rumour is asking price status with a first which I cannot see that being something Trotz wants to part with considering current half rebuild we have going on.

So I was thinking, why not just keep assets and sign Dumba? He is better than any RD we have despite having a bit of an off season last year. I imagine he rebounds nicely playing with Roman.
I do not think there is much of a gap between Pesce and Dumba to be honest. Dumba is a bit better offensively while Pesce is better defensively.

Then on top of not spending assets on Pesce and getting Dumba for free, we can then more carrier or Fabbro or both and bring in even more assets.

Is this a good idea or what?

2023-24 defense then looks like this:

Josi Dumba
McDonagh Barrie
Lauzon Schenn
Livingstone

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dumba seems to have fallen off a lot hasn't he? I don't see him beating out Schenn/Barrie/Fabbro/Carrier on our team. There's a reason he's not signed. He probably doesn't realize that he's that bad yet, I guess.

Pesce is actually good. But we'd have to be trading mostly $$$ to get him, not picks or prospects, that is not our current Way.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wouldn't necessarily hate the idea of signing Dumba and hoping he bounces back, but he's probably only signing a one year deal somewhere and hoping he bounces back and can get a longer deal next offseason. Although at that point I'd personally rather give that ice time to Fabbro/Carrier and hope they can take the next step.

Pesce is more of a long term acquisition that is going to get a big deal and we hope to anchor our defense for several years. I'm also personally not crazy about that move either, but it doesn't seem to be the same role as what Dumba would provide.

Reactions: hockey diva

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Dumba seems to have fallen off a lot hasn't he? I don't see him beating out Schenn/Barrie/Fabbro/Carrier on our team. There's a reason he's not signed. He probably doesn't realize that he's that bad yet, I guess.

Pesce is actually good. But we'd have to be trading mostly $$$ to get him, not picks or prospects, that is not our current Way.
Dumba had one off season but I mean that happens. Doesn’t mean he’s done. He’s younger than Pesce too.

But word is the hurricanes want assets from us for Pesce to use in a deal to get karlsson. Starting with a first round pick. Which I don’t like the idea of trading…

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Depends on how much Dumba would sign for.

1689289437542.png

Dumba's usage would be a better fit paired with Josi, but Pesce's size, sweet mother of GAWD. Pesce would definitely put Schenn in the box or 3rd pairing. Dumba is a PIM magnet. Dumba had more minors in 27 than Pesce had total in 16.

I also think a Pesce trade clears contracts and brings in a 1st.

It depends on where the plus is on a deal. If Nashville has to add majorly to a Pesce deal, then enh, Dumba. BUT if the rumored deal of Nashville getting a 1st with Pesce, then yes, Pesce. I also think Fabbro is gone.

Nice catch Maple

Reactions: maplepred

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't see Dumba as a fit with Josi stylistically. Pesce makes sense player wise but likely not for the cost. Dumba isn't nearly as strong defensively to cover in his own zone for Josi. I see Fabbro is just as good an option as Dumba.

Insert Thanos gif for acquiring all the bottom 4 RHD.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
On the Pesce rumor, I feel like, when a trade rumor is around for more than several days (like this one), it fizzles out pretty quickly. I'm sure we were asking, but I'd be surprised at this point.

I personally like where the team is at. Some good vets and locker room presence with room to play the kids. Another huge draft next year. I don't see a reason to add.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
On the Pesce rumor, I feel like, when a trade rumor is around for more than several days (like this one), it fizzles out pretty quickly. I'm sure we were asking, but I'd be surprised at this point.

I personally like where the team is at. Some good vets and locker room presence with room to play the kids. Another huge draft next year. I don't see a reason to add.
Yeah I think it's done. Usually once they lose momentum like this it means the teams have moved on.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah I think it's done. Usually once they lose momentum like this it means the teams have moved on.
Makes sense, or they are just waiting for the hurricanes to figure out their plan with karlsson and/or tarasenko which is also a very likely situation/hold up.

It sure would be nice to finally get Josi a top pair RD, imagine how much better he could be when he is already insane good?!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Makes sense, or they are just waiting for the hurricanes to figure out their plan with karlsson and/or tarasenko which is also a very likely situation/hold up.

It sure would be nice to finally get Josi a top pair RD, imagine how much better he could be when he is already insane good?!
No offense but he had one of the best seasons in over 2 decades with Fabbro. He already had his RD and Hynes blew it up.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Rather spend big money on high end forwards then defensive defensemen like Pesce.
Not me. Let the kids play. If guys like Tomasino, evangelista, glass, novak, Parssinen, can all build one last season it could be a good result with some solid defense. I’m still not happy about nyquist addition, just a waste of a roster spot. Getting rid of pylon Johansen freed up roll then we bring him in!?

But yeah we could use a top pair RD for sure.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Not me. Let the kids play. If guys like Tomasino, evangelista, glass, novak, Parssinen, can all build one last season it could be a good result with some solid defense. I’m still not happy about nyquist addition, just a waste of a roster spot. Getting rid of pylon Johansen freed up roll then we bring him in!?

But yeah we could use a top pair RD for sure.
Why not apply the let the kids play logic to defense too though? Fabbro has already shown he makes a great pairing with Josi and despite feeling older than he is since he's been with the team so long he's only 25.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Why not apply the let the kids play logic to defense too though? Fabbro has already shown he makes a great pairing with Josi and despite feeling older than he is since he's been with the team so long he's only 25.
Oh I agree but I mean we have a lot more young forwards with big time potential than we do defensemen. Sure Fabbro but outside of him who else do we have?

I definitely say if no moves are made we pair fabbro and josi for sure.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder how much Josi will still be allowed to dictate things? I get the feeling he was given more than a little leeway in the past to choose his own partner. He wanted Ellis. For some bizarre reason, when they obviously clashed as player types. Maybe he decided he didn't want Fabbro, even after that big year? Which the Hynes/Poile duo might just have gone along with and tried their various "Fails" to accede to Josi's wishes?

Fabbro obviously worked well with him. But given how far out of the way the team went to avoid reuniting them last season, I suspect it would be a little naive to hope for any change on that front. :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder how much Josi will still be allowed to dictate things? I get the feeling he was given more than a little leeway in the past to choose his own partner. He wanted Ellis. For some bizarre reason, when they obviously clashed as player types. Maybe he decided he didn't want Fabbro, even after that big year? Which the Hynes/Poile duo might just have gone along with and tried their various "Fails" to accede to Josi's wishes?

Fabbro obviously worked well with him. But given how far out of the way the team went to avoid reuniting them last season, I suspect it would be a little naive to hope for any change on that front. :(
I don't care if he is the Captain, if I'm the coach or the GM I'd be damned if any player dictated to me who or where they played. They could get the heck out of dodge if that's what they think.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't care if he is the Captain, if I'm the coach or the GM I'd be damned if any player dictated to me who or where they played. They could get the heck out of dodge if that's what they think.
I think those kinds of privileges came with the Country Club membership card?

Maybe that has been revoked now, we can hope!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad