Votes: 83 41.3%
  • Teemu Selanne

Votes: 107 53.2%
  • Even

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I voted even but in a pinch might take Hull...or Selanne pretty close depending on which day of the week it is.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The only reason I can think to give Selanne the nod would be longevity. Hull has him beat in points per game (1.10 to 1.0), goals per game (.58 to .47), playoff points per game (.94 to .68). And I have nothing against Selanne, he is one of my favorite non-Blues of all time.
Not only longevity. Longevity as an elite scorer. There's quite a lot of discussion about these two in the projects and the general consensus among older hockey fans was that Selanne was better/greater. Not by much though. Teemu beats Kurri and Hull who were neck and neck in discussions.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The only reason I can think to give Selanne the nod would be longevity. Hull has him beat in points per game (1.10 to 1.0), goals per game (.58 to .47), playoff points per game (.94 to .68). And I have nothing against Selanne, he is one of my favorite non-Blues of all time.
And Bernie Federko (1.13 regular season, 1.11 playoffs ppg) beats both as you may be aware.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
HoH sub-forum (that has mostly history nerds and old timers) ranked Selanne quite clearly ahead of Hull in each of their collective rankings.

d1e558a1-fc81-49e9-8700-6095b2e5aac8_text.gif

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I would say Hull - and I’m a Ducks fan.

Hull was able to stay healthier and have a longer peak of a career than Selanne
Hull scored 24, 39, 30, 39 and 25 goals as aged 35-39
Selänne scored 40, 48, 12 (24 games), 27, 27, 32 and 26 goals as aged 35 to 41

and that's just goals, not to mention points

at 35 through 36, if you count the play-offs, Selänne scored total of
100 goals and 114 assists, 214 points in 197 games.
- for example, 35 - 36, Ovie scored 77 goals and 146 points, in 138 games
(if you count in the play-offs) - during era where the scoring is up again

at 40 (if you count the play-offs, Teemu scored 37 goals and 88 points in 79 games
at 41 Teemu scored 26 goals and almost 70 points.

You could say Brett Hull, but as easily you could say Teemu Selänne

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
And Bernie Federko (1.13 regular season, 1.11 playoffs ppg) beats both as you may be aware.

How is that relevant in a Hull vs. Selanne debate? Pointless comment.

Scoring was obviously higher in the 80s, and while Hull's career started a bit earlier than Selanne's they still played in close to the same era. I loved Selanne, but I'm going with the guy who's 5th all-time in goals and outscored Teemu by 57 goals in 188 fewer games. Call me crazy I guess.

Reactions: TK 421

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How is that relevant in a Hull vs. Selanne debate? Pointless comment.

Scoring was obviously higher in the 80s, and while Hull's career started a bit earlier than Selanne's they still played in close to the same era. I loved Selanne, but I'm going with the guy who's 5th all-time in goals and outscored Teemu by 57 goals in 188 fewer games. Call me crazy I guess.
Hull debuted in '86 and Selänne in '92, relative to the emergence of the DPE that's a major difference.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Not only longevity. Longevity as an elite scorer. There's quite a lot of discussion about these two in the projects and the general consensus among older hockey fans was that Selanne was better/greater. Not by much though. Teemu beats Kurri and Hull who were neck and neck in discussions.

Not really sure what more Hull could do in terms of longevity. From the ages of 23-39 Hull was basically at a PPG or higher almost every season, there were only 3 years where he wasn't above or very close to a point per game. Selanne may have played into his 40s but he also had more "non-elite" seasons over the course of his career.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I feel recency bias is giving Selanne the edge here.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Brett Hull played with likes of

Pavel Datsyuk
Brian Federko
Sergei Fedorov
Doug Gilmour
Igor Larionov
Jere Lehtinen
Håkan Loob
Mike Modano
Joe Mullen
Joe Niewendyk
Adam Oates
Luc Robitaille
Brendan Shanahan
Pierre Turgeon
Steve Yzerman
Henrik Zetterberg

and that's just the forwards

Compared to the list of players Teemu Selänne played with....

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Times on David Letterman

Brett Hull - 1
Teemu Selanne - 0

Take THAT Selanne fans!

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Not really sure what more Hull could do in terms of longevity. From the ages of 23-39 Hull was basically at a PPG or higher almost every season, there were only 3 years where he wasn't above or very close to a point per game. Selanne may have played into his 40s but he also had more "non-elite" seasons over the course of his career.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I feel recency bias is giving Selanne the edge here.

Top 10 goals: 8-6, Hull
Top 10 GPG: 7-6, Hull
Top 10 pts: 7-3, Selanne
Top 10 PPG: 7-4, Selanne
Top 10 hart: 5-4, Selanne
AST: 4-3, Selanne

Selanne had more elite seasons.

Reactions: bsu

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Shocking to see Hull trailing this voting. I wonder how many of the voters were fortunate to see both of these guys at their peaks. I'm guessing anyone under 25 has a tendency to vote Selanne. Which is of course wrong...but understandable.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I almost went with even but gave Selanne the edge for what he did later in his career!

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Yeah, still very good at 39. I really think the lockout is what finished his career. A whole year off, you know Hull didn’t stay in shape that year. Guarantee it - ha. So now he comes back at 41 and the legs weren’t there and he retired 5 games into season. No strike, and I think he still plays a couple more years and definitely plays well at 40.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
HoH sub-forum (that has mostly history nerds and old timers) ranked Selanne quite clearly ahead of Hull in each of their collective rankings.

I'm often on the HoH and I can see the rationale behind having Selanne where he is on the list, but personally I think that prime Hull has become very underrated. Although they were fantastic together, too much credit is given to Oates when you consider people have done the work to show that Hull was a lock for 70+ without him.

People who were around during those big time seasons of Hull will probably agree that, as great as Selanne was, Hull was on another level during his peak seasons, at least. If you're someone who values playoff performance that would also heavily slant your ranking of these two players.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I'm often on the HoH and I can see the rationale behind having Selanne where he is on the list, but personally I think that prime Hull has become very underrated. Although they were fantastic together, too much credit is given to Oates when you consider people have done the work to show that Hull was a lock for 70+ without him.

People who were around during those big time seasons of Hull will probably agree that, as great as Selanne was, Hull was on another level during his peak seasons, at least. If you're someone who values playoff performance that would also heavily slant your ranking of these two players.

Hull never scored 60 without Oates, how was he a lock for 70+? Hull played 18 seasons (not including 05/06), 15 without Oates. In those 15 seasons he scored 50 "only" 2x and finished top 5 in goals only 1x, despite playing his entire peak and prime before the DPE. He also never finished top 5 in hart voting or made an AST. That's a pretty average looking resume without Oates.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If you're someone who values playoff performance that would also heavily slant your ranking of these two players.
Selänne had a huge role taking the Ducks to their first cup. Arguably bigger than Hull in either Dallas or Detroit despite his memorable OT goal in '99. As for stats watching, he played more playoff hockey in his 40s than his 20s yet was still very solid.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Hull never scored 60 without Oates, how was he a lock for 70+? Hull played 18 seasons (not including 05/06), 15 without Oates. In those 15 seasons he scored 50 "only" 2x and finished top 5 in goals only 1x, despite playing his entire peak and prime before the DPE. He also never finished top 5 in hart voting or made an AST. That's a pretty average looking resume without Oates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad