• Teemu Selanne

Votes: 107 53.2%
  • Even

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Hull had the better career. He had the big peak and was healthier throughout his career, and while he was on much better teams he also has a much better playoff record. He won the Hart and Lindsay Selanne didn’t and has the same three seasons leading the league in goals. I think Selanne was probably better though. Better puck carrier, passer and overall play driver of the offense, while being a similar goalscorer. Despite the injuries, he has more seasons in the top 10 in scoring and 1 more season in the top 5 in goalscoring. And while his playoff record isn’t good, he didn’t get a lot of opportunity in his best seasons, and his great record in best on best tournaments makes me think it’s probably more sample size than anything.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hull became a lot better later in his career, but he was much more 1 dimensional than Selane during the first half of his career.

It's a coin flip, imo.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I think Selanne was the more talented of the two players but Brett was the better goal scorer for sure. Personally I liked Hull better as a player but I have to go with Temmu on this one

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think Hull had the better career. He had the big peak and was healthier throughout his career, and while he was on much better teams he also has a much better playoff record. He won the Hart and Lindsay Selanne didn’t and has the same three seasons leading the league in goals. I think Selanne was probably better though. Better puck carrier, passer and overall play driver of the offense, while being a similar goalscorer. Despite the injuries, he has more seasons in the top 10 in scoring and 1 more season in the top 5 in goalscoring. And while his playoff record isn’t good, he didn’t get a lot of opportunity in his best seasons, and his great record in best on best tournaments makes me think it’s probably more sample size than anything.
Pretty much sums it up for me. Brett Hull is really close with Kurri. I think Teemu is a tad better than both.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Here's how they compare in award voting and stat finishes.

Selanne

Hart: 3, 5, 5, 6, 9, 13, 21

PPG: 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 8, 8

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 10

GPG: 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 8

Hull

Hart: 1, 3, 3, 6, 23

PPG: 3, 5, 7, 9

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10

GPG: 1, 1, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10

Selanne is the better overall offensive player and had the better prime. Both by significant margins. Hull's time as a high end point producer was very short while Selanne had nearly a decades worth of elite point production.

But Hull was a better goal scorer both in peak and prime, and in general had the better peak. Playoffs is also largely in his favour. A lot of that has to do with Selanne not playing much in the postseason during his best years. But credit where credit is due, Hull's goalscoring was just as good in the playoffs as it was in the regular season.

Reactions: Xspyrit

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Here's how they compare in award voting and stat finishes.

Selanne

Hart: 3, 5, 5, 6, 9, 13, 21

PPG: 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 8, 8

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 10

GPG: 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 8

Hull

Hart: 1, 3, 3, 6, 23

PPG: 3, 5, 7, 9

Goals: 1, 1, 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10

GPG: 1, 1, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10

Selanne is the better overall offensive player and had the better prime. Both by significant margins. Hull's time as a high end point producer was very short while Selanne had nearly a decades worth of elite point production.

But Hull was a better goal scorer both in peak and prime, and in general had the better peak. Playoffs is also largely in his favour. A lot of that has to do with Selanne not playing much in the postseason during his best years. But credit where credit is due, Hull's goalscoring was just as good in the playoffs as it was in the regular season.
And then you remembered Hull scored at a 40 goal pace for 3 seasons in Dallas with hitchcock in the D.P.E. And the remainder 3 yrs in Detroit in his 37-39 aged years at a 30-35 goal pace.

Reactions: Riddum

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Selänne overall, Hull was up there with Oates but otherwise never reached quite the same level. Hull had the better early 30s though whereas Selänne had become quite useless before his lockout recovery. But even regarding longevity Hull was completely done after that lockout whereas Selänne ultimately had quite a bit of gas left in the tank still in his 40s. Skills-wise Hull was an epic shooter and quite elusive, Selänne better at almost everything else.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think if Selanne was on better teams it be not that close. I mean he played most his career with the Ducks. They had maybe 3-5 years where they were not terrible and that's it. Hull played for stacked team in Detroit and prior was on tough Stars team who won cup. Best player Selanne had for team-mate was Kariya.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Selanne had a great carrer, 1st ballot HOF and the whole nine. But Brett Hull had the better peak, career, and accomplishments. This is easily Hull.

I think if Selanne was on better teams it be not that close. I mean he played most his career with the Ducks. They had maybe 3-5 years where they were not terrible and that's it. Hull played for stacked team in Detroit and prior was on tough Stars team who won cup. Best player Selanne had for team-mate was Kariya.

If only Selanne had a star player on his line that he had great chemistry with during his time in Anaheim...

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I voted Hull but this is really closer than I thought when I look at Selanne’s numbers. I remember his year in Colorado was trash and he was declining but the rule changes after the lockout really helped revitalize him. Hull didn’t have that benefit. Even though Selanne was gold at age 40 and beyond, I still have to give Hull the edge.

Brett just didn’t score off that great shot of his, he scored a lot of goals in the trenches too and was great with the deflections.

Interesting to note, when comparing the 2, they both had 110 game winning goals and each had a shooting percentage of 15.1 and 15.2.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Teemu Selanne and Brett Hull are probably the 2 most underrated players in NHL history.

Fun fact, both Brett and Teemu started their career at 22 years old and they're number 1 and 2 in NHL career goals for all players if you look at stats after players turn 22. Ovechkin will probably pass them both once his career is over but still pretty impressive...

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I’m going to get crucified by Blues fans here but I’m saying Teemu. He didn’t play in as many postseasons as Hull.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yep, it's a no brainer. I'm guessing the only reason Selanne is ahead because of the younguns on this site who never saw Hull play, especially in his prime.
HoH sub-forum (that has mostly history nerds and old timers) ranked Selanne quite clearly ahead of Hull in each of their collective rankings.

Reactions: The Pale King

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
Teemu by a hair
Teemu had great hair 🙌
110017951_original.jpg

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
HoH sub-forum (that has mostly history nerds and old timers) ranked Selanne quite clearly ahead of Hull in each of their collective rankings.

The only reason I can think to give Selanne the nod would be longevity. Hull has him beat in points per game (1.10 to 1.0), goals per game (.58 to .47), playoff points per game (.94 to .68). And I have nothing against Selanne, he is one of my favorite non-Blues of all time.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad