Brett Connolly

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
There is a lot of negative stuff in the last month or so on Connolly on other topics than this one.

I know there is a lot of disappointment with him. High Pick and all that.

I think he was a little mishandled from the get go. (but whatever).

I really have been paying attention to this guy. And what I see game in game out is a guy that gives his all. I mean he hustles he crashes the boards he plays a very solid defense. I'm not sure what everyone is watching out there.

I have been picked on for wanting change on the Lightning for the sake of change. I don't want this guy to go anywhere. Anyways this guy is non stop out there if you pay attention.

The key thing with Connolly is he has not for what ever reason matched up with the right chemistry.

Please Please do not trade this guy until all avenues are exhausted.

He plays hard every night and just needs to get the right chemistry. it would be a big mistake to trade him. Come on ..... relax .. this guy is very young ... wait awhile and you will see.

btw I think Drouin and Connolly and ? would make a great line in the future.

Just for the record guys I posted this quite awhile ago (Jan 3rd) in the midst of a lot of guys wanting to dump Connolly at that time.

Sometimes you guys think I'm crazy with my player evaluation (and its some guys that post a lot) But my batting average is not too bad when it comes to player evaluation.

Anyways in some of your guys defense Connolly still has to keep it going and really prove himself.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just for the record guys I posted this quite awhile ago (Jan 3rd) in the midst of a lot of guys wanting to dump Connolly at that time.

Sometimes you guys think I'm crazy with my player evaluation (and its some guys that post a lot) But my batting average is not too bad when it comes to player evaluation.

Anyways in some of your guys defense Connolly still has to keep it going and really prove himself.

Bro, you're just riding shotgun on my hype train.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I think I said this before but it seems people often expect too much. His ceiling is a decent 2nd line winger who plays with a little physicality and might pot 25-30 in a career year. That's not bad, similar to Callhan ideally speaking.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightnings-connelly-showing-more-fight/2218544
But lately, Connolly has added more bite — and fight — to his game.

Connolly said it's part of adapting to a bottom-six role, realizing he can spark the team without scoring. The 6-foot, 181-pound forward is finishing checks, leading the Lightning in hits the past two games heading into tonight's matchup with the Coyotes. He's ticking off opponents, having fun doing it.

And Connolly, who has gotten in two fights the past three months, said it's no coincidence he's playing his best hockey of the season.

"Going up through juniors, I've always been a scorer," Connolly said. "You're playing 20 some minutes a game, you kind of have to reserve your energy. But when you're playing 11 to 12 minutes, you can get a little feisty, get a little grittier, go into the corners and finish your checks.

"When I'm engaged, my game is better, I feel when I'm doing that, so I'm going to keep doing that."
But Connolly said the past three weeks he's made it a focus to get more physical. Coach Jon Cooper said Connolly is finding his way, learning that in the NHL, you "adapt or die." And with an extremely deep forward group, Connolly has to battle for his minutes.

"He's had to change his game, he's rounded his game out now where he goes to a bunch of traffic areas he probably never used to before," Cooper said. "He's playing defense. He's going into the corner and he doesn't go to tap dance around, he goes to throw his body. A lot of times, when he didn't used to come out with pucks, now he does."
"Whether it's maturity or a sense of what we're lacking as a team, he's figuring it out," veteran wing Brenden Morrow said. "The last month or so, he's had some more bite in his game.

"You can't fake it. Maybe it just comes with being more comfortable."

Connolly said while playing on the fourth line with Morrow and Boyle, he understood that bringing energy could be big. And, Connolly has carried that over on the third line with Cedric Paquette and Valtteri Filppula, finding out he gets more scoring chances with a scrappy style.

"It's fun," he said. "I'm going to continue to play that way."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad