Speculation: Brent Burns Next Contract? Does He Stay in San Jose?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Exactly...

Why in hell would he sign for less then Victor Hedman when he's a UFA?

He'll get 9M$+ Easily

Maybe because Victor Hedman is five years younger? Because Hedman has a longer track record of being elite?

Remember when everyone said there was no way Stamkos would sign for under $10M?

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Doug Wilson has done a great job making The Sharks a team that players like to be part of. He has gotten many players who could have cashed in on the open market to sign reasonable contracts. I expect the same will happen with Burns. My best guess is 7.5 X 5.

Aside from the lack of 88 in that contract, I can see that being a reasonable term for both parties. Burns never struck me much as a money chaser. If he can get a fair term from SJ I can't seeing him leaving. He's made a home in the San Jose area that both him and his family is happy with.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Bigger question for me is what happens with Vlasic the following year (assuming Burns stays)

Vlasic will get similar to what Burns will get this year so about a $4 million AAV increase. Also Marleau's contract is coming off the books at that time as well, and won't get anywhere near his $6.7 mil AAV in his next contract. Worse case scenario, we let Wingels go and maybe trade one of Ward or Dillon to make the salaries work.

Re-signing Vlasic will be similar to re-signing Burns imo.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I could definitely see that 6yr, 48.8m deal being what they end up doing, since it fits the 88 motif, and would certainly be more than fair. If Burns is giving us a big hometown discount, it might come in at 5yr, 38.8m contract, which puts him at a 7.76 AAV. Actually, the more I think about it, the more the 2nd one feels right, especially since Doug Wilson has a policy of basically never giving contracts with terms longer than 5 years. (with like 1 exception ever) Obviously Burns is someone I am sure Doug Wilson would break that rule for if it was necessary to keep him, but given how much Burns likes the team and environment, I could see him giving us that kind of discount, since it gives us more room to keep a cup caliber roster together, and I'm sure that's important to him.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't see San Jose being all that competitive in a couple seasons. Not sure why Burns would want to stick around there for the rest of his career.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Doug is one of the best (if not the best) contract negotiators in the league.

He'll get him at ~7.75M x 5 years.

CEO

Jul 13, 2016
I don't see San Jose being all that competitive in a couple seasons. Not sure why Burns would want to stick around there for the rest of his career.

I must know the theory behind this thought. I think I know where your thought comes from and if that's the case then you are heavily uninformed.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Doug is one of the best (if not the best) contract negotiators in the league.

He'll get him at ~7.75M x 5 years.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think the contract will be that 5yr, 38.8m total value deal, so coming in at 7.76m AAV. I think Burns taking this gets even more likely if Doug Wilson is willing to do one of those bonus/frontloaded deals that have become all the rage this offseason, so Burns gets buyout protection. I'm sure the team would throw in some kind of NTC or even an NMC as well to further sweeten the deal.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He's from Barrie, so shouldn't that mean he will want to go back to Toronto to team up with Tavares?

His contract is going to depend a lot on what the priorities of the team that signs him are. If they are contending, I could see a 7 year deal (or if SJ maybe 8) in order to keep the cap hit down. A team could probably shave 1.5M-2M off the first half of the deal by going long term.

Byfuglien got 7.6M on a 5 year term but got his contract when he was a year younger than Burns will be. Burns just had a monster career year, but what he does next season will be more important in determining the contract. Not saying there isn't an upside for him to repeat his near PPG totals, but 20 goals/60 points would be a safe guess for Burns next year.

If he stays with the Sharks, 8 years 6M. Long term as a UFA 7 years 6.5M. He'd probably get 8M for the first few years of the contract.

If he only goes 5 years, probably around 7.5M-8M. If he goes with the safe 3-4 year term, someone will have to pay him big money.

It would make sense that Burns would probably push for an extension right now with SJ before the season starts. He just came off one of the most productive non-Karlsson seasons that a modern day defender has ever had. He's pretty old in hockey years. It would be an advantageous time to cash in on an extension.

That could be the problem for the sharks with Burns is he may wanna go home to Toronto. Never thought of that for him but IF the leafs do get better in a couple years i could see but will have to see this next year if the potential is close imo

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
That could be the problem for the sharks with Burns is he may wanna go home to Toronto. Never thought of that for him but IF the leafs do get better in a couple years i could see but will have to see this next year if the potential is close imo

He will almost surely have the same level of desire to "go home to Toronto" as all of the other players who have wanted to go back home to Toronto.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Yes, I am sure he will do that, because he is eagerly anticipating the chance to play on the same team as Stamkos. Um, wait... :help:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Aside from the lack of 88 in that contract, I can see that being a reasonable term for both parties. Burns never struck me much as a money chaser. If he can get a fair term from SJ I can't seeing him leaving. He's made a home in the San Jose area that both him and his family is happy with.

I'm thinking $7.88 x 5 years. He gets his number, we get him with good term under $8m.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'm thinking $7.88 x 5 years. He gets his number, we get him with good term under $8m.

I could see that as well. All depends on if having the 88 in the AAV is more important to Burns than having it in the total dollar value, like with that 5yr, 38.8m deal option. I can't imagine Doug Wilson not agreeing to either one of those.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
He could easily get 6+ years as a UFA.

If he hit UFA, I think Las Vegas' very first phone call when the free agency period started would be to Burns' agent offering 9-10m AAV with 7 year term, plus whatever other perks he wanted (NMC, frontloaded & bonus heavy deal for buyout protection, etc.) So what if he's a bad contract by the end of the deal. It's not like they've got other bad contracts they'd have to worry about, considering they're starting with a fresh slate. Vegas could (and would) outbid everyone if he really did hit the UFA market. I am 100% confident that he'll be staying here, though, and that we'll get an extension done before the start of next season. There's no way the team would want to let that distraction hang over the team all season. They'll get it done.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Burns signs for 5 years IMO he'd be giving up a lot of security. In all likelihood this will be his last lucrative deal in the NHL and possibly his last NHL contract period. If Wilson gets him for 5 years and the AAV is under $8 million that will be a masterful move by him. If he hit FA I could see a team signing him until he's 39 or 40, it's a big risk, but you just don't find players like Burns on the open market very often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad