Speculation: Brent Burns Next Contract? Does He Stay in San Jose?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am a big time Burns fan and would love to have him on my team. That said he is a pending UFA coming off of a couple of big seasons and he is still young enough to warrant a big time contract as an UFA. Does Wilson lock him up? If so what type of a deal do you see him getting? I'm thinking $8 million AAV for 8 years or $8.5 million AAV for 7 years. The first deal would take him until the age of 40, the 2nd deal to the age of 39.

Naturally he won't be worth his cap hit probably from age 36 on but I doubt that any GM would go that much higher than those cap hits.

What do you see in terms of a total value of a.....

6 year deal
7 year deal
8 year deal

Likelihood that he stays in SJ?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am a big time Burns fan and would love to have him on my team. That said he is a pending UFA coming off of a couple of big seasons and he is still young enough to warrant a big time contract as an UFA. Does Wilson lock him up? If so what type of a deal do you see him getting? I'm thinking $8 million AAV for 8 years or $8.5 million AAV for 7 years. The first deal would take him until the age of 40, the 2nd deal to the age of 39.

Naturally he won't be worth his cap hit probably from age 36 on but I doubt that any GM would go that much higher than those cap hits.

What do you see in terms of a total value of a.....

6 year deal
7 year deal
8 year deal

Likelihood that he stays in SJ?

I see you are an Oiler fan . So am I and I would do terrible things to have him on the Oilers :sarcasm: Will not that terrible but would love to have him . He would complete our D .

Klefbom Burns
Sekera Larsson
Davidson Fayne
Oesterle/Nurse/Reinhart

Drool . I wish but I can not see the Sharks letting him get away

Thorburnt

Jul 16, 2015
MTS Centre
Expect a similar deal to the one Byfuglien signed in February. 5 years at 7.6M AAV. It is worth noting that Burns is a couple years older though.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Out of all the best dmen in the league he's definitely the most underpaid. Probably the most underpaid vet in the league for a few years now. Definitely hard to predict what he's going to do.

Free Agent $
5yrs - 9.5mil - $47.5mil

San Jose home town discount $
5yrs - 7 mil - $35mil

I don't think he can sign a 8 year contract, too old.
The Sharks have some big free agents next year.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think he stays in San Jose, but neither party should be looking for an 8 year deal. 6 years, $50m would be my guess. It takes him to 38, so through the rest of his career, and at a reasonable $8.33m cap hit.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
I'll say 5 for $40 million or $8 AAV. Luckily he really is dead set on staying here so we should be able to resign him at a better rate than almost any other team. We can offer him a lot of things (fan favorite, a shot at the cup and players that he loves) that some teams simply cant

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Doug doesn't like extending his deals too far beyond 5 years

Realistically I see a 6 year extension at about $7.75M/season, but I would love to see an even greater hometown discount

On the open market a RHD that scores 20+ goals and 60+ points is worth $9M/y+

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's from Barrie, so shouldn't that mean he will want to go back to Toronto to team up with Tavares?

His contract is going to depend a lot on what the priorities of the team that signs him are. If they are contending, I could see a 7 year deal (or if SJ maybe 8) in order to keep the cap hit down. A team could probably shave 1.5M-2M off the first half of the deal by going long term.

Byfuglien got 7.6M on a 5 year term but got his contract when he was a year younger than Burns will be. Burns just had a monster career year, but what he does next season will be more important in determining the contract. Not saying there isn't an upside for him to repeat his near PPG totals, but 20 goals/60 points would be a safe guess for Burns next year.

If he stays with the Sharks, 8 years 6M. Long term as a UFA 7 years 6.5M. He'd probably get 8M for the first few years of the contract.

If he only goes 5 years, probably around 7.5M-8M. If he goes with the safe 3-4 year term, someone will have to pay him big money.

It would make sense that Burns would probably push for an extension right now with SJ before the season starts. He just came off one of the most productive non-Karlsson seasons that a modern day defender has ever had. He's pretty old in hockey years. It would be an advantageous time to cash in on an extension.

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
6 years, 48.8 mil. The number 88 is important to him and he made sure to put it in his last contract.

He stay in SJ. He loves it here, and so does his family from what his wife and grandparents told me.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
6 years, 48.8 mil. The number 88 is important to him and he made sure to put it in his last contract.

He stay in SJ. He loves it here, and so does his family from what his wife and grandparents told me.

This makes a ton of sense actually. That's right at about 8.1 AAV, which sounds right.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I feel very confident that Burns sticks in SJ. He's very entrenched in the community and has a young family that I highly doubt he wants to move. I expect a deal for 5 years, between $7.5-8M and I'm a-okay with that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I feel very confident that Burns sticks in SJ. He's very entrenched in the community and has a young family that I highly doubt he wants to move. I expect a deal for 5 years, between $7.5-8M and I'm a-okay with that.

Cool, thanks. Naturally I'd love for him to join my team but if he's happy in SJ and they take good care of him he should be happy to play out his career there. I would suspect that this is his last big payday so I wonder if he pushes for that 6th season?

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
He is a great player but there is a high chance he gets way overpaid. His ability is likely going to decline throughout the length of the contract. The sharks are looking at around 8 million per AAV and the term will depend on how nice Burns is. Best case scenario for the sharks would be a 5-year 40M$ deal, a lot like the Byfuglien deal.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Exactly...

Why in hell would he sign for less then Victor Hedman when he's a UFA?

He'll get 9M$+ Easily

Doug Wilson has done a great job making The Sharks a team that players like to be part of. He has gotten many players who could have cashed in on the open market to sign reasonable contracts. I expect the same will happen with Burns. My best guess is 7.5 X 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad