Olympics: Brenden Morrow?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
A little bit of reputation pick, and experience.

The guy was one of the best players in '07-'08 playoffs. What a season that was....Michalek hit in OT, and then scoring major goals for Dallas.

A season and a half ago, he did have 74 points (I think).

He's their for physical play as Babcock has already told him that he's playing on the fourth line.

Their isn't a single player that I disagree on with Yzerman.

bigtimehockeyfan

Nov 26, 2009
A little bit of reputation pick, and experience.

The guy was one of the best players in '07-'08 playoffs. What a season that was....Michalek hit in OT, and then scoring major goals for Dallas.

A season and a half ago, he did have 74 points (I think).

He's their for physical play as Babcock has already told him that he's playing on the fourth line.

Their isn't a single player that I disagree on with Yzerman.

I agree he's been great in the past, but he has not been himself since that injury last season. He has been terrible. This was a huge head scratching pick in my opinion.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
Dude is clutch. Strong defensively. Provides grit when playing the scrappier teams.

I maintain that the stranger choice is Toews over St. Louis.

BlackAces*

I don't find the Toews selection strange at all. He is as clutch as they come; talented scorer; solid playmaker; strong in his own end; wins faceoffs; great on the power-play; kills penalties; can play wing or Centre, natural leader.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
To a certain degree he's gonna bring what Peca did for Canada in 2002. In your face hockey while being able to take care of business in his own end.

BlackAces*

To a certain degree he's gonna bring what Peca did for Canada in 2002. In your face hockey while being able to take care of business in his own end.

And when we need somebody to get to the front of the net on the PP, or otherwise, you know where you can find him.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
He can be a bust, but can also become their spark plug if the going gets tough. I don't know much about him, how is his speed, it is very very important in these games to have speed and stamina. Hitting is not really a factor at such high level.

BlackAces*

He can get up and down the ice just fine. No worries there. His job on this team will be to wear down opposing D-men down low and going to the next, while being responsible defensively.

Hitting is a factor at any level.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Is anyone in Canada questioning the selection of Niedermayer? He's nearly 40, a -16, teeters on retirement every offseason, and it's not like Canada would be lacking in leadership without him. I think Mike Green's defensive "woes" aren't so significant that I wouldn't take him over Niedermayer. Is it possible Yzerman let his sentiment get to him on that one?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Is anyone in Canada questioning the selection of Niedermayer? He's nearly 40, a -16, teeters on retirement every offseason, and it's not like Canada would be lacking in leadership without him. I think Mike Green's defensive "woes" aren't so significant that I wouldn't take him over Niedermayer. Is it possible Yzerman let his sentiment get to him on that one?

His role on Team Canada will be different than his current role with the Ducks. He will be relied on to play a lot less minutes and in a lot less situations. Similar to Mario Lemieux's role in 2002. Niedermayer has won literally everything that matters. You need someone like him to steady the dressing room and guys on the bench when things get tight. Niedermayer can also handle the media most of the time and let Crosby, Nash, and Doughty just focus on playing hockey.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia

I have and was even before the selection was announced. It almost lead to a couple of fights with some drunk fat guys. I found the situation humerus so I made fun of there weight problems which was not nice on my part, but its hard to have rational hockey conversations with drunks. I just hope he's able to step it up and make those defensive/offensive plays like in the past.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
How did this dude get in the Canadian roster? This is one of the "few" picks made by Yzerman and his committee that has made me believe they are eating salad with a spoon.

Don't worry too much, if Morrow can stay healthy long enough to reach the Olympics all power to him, if not the next guy called up will be Jeff Carter. Carter is next in line to replace any injured player that can't make the Olympics.

Shaka

Aug 13, 2006
I have and was even before the selection was announced. It almost lead to a couple of fights with some drunk fat guys. I found the situation humerus so I made fun of there weight problems which was not nice on my part, but its hard to have rational hockey conversations with drunks. I just hope he's able to step it up and make those defensive/offensive plays like in the past.

Did I just watch a family guy clip?

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Don't worry too much, if Morrow can stay healthy long enough to reach the Olympics all power to him, if not the next guy called up will be Jeff Carter. Carter is next in line to replace any injured player that can't make the Olympics.

I appreciate the inside info, Mr Yzerman

Sony Eriksson*

How did this dude get in the Canadian roster? This is one of the "few" picks made by Yzerman and his committee that has made me believe they are eating salad with a spoon.

We think Morrow has been playing it conservative so far this season to be ready for the Olympics. As to question why Morrow should be on the team leads me to the question "Do you watch more than 1 game a year that involves Dallas?". If the answer is yes then you have answered your own question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad