Value of: Brendan Smith

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Brendan Smith has been playing well and has displayed a good mix of versatility and ruggedness and all around good mobile veteran team player.

Rangers likely need to make room for Miller or Rykov or Hajek and have cap issues. Smith just turned 31, has 1 year left @4.35 Cap.

I think if Rangers retain about 1/3 of his salary there should be several teams interested.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Figure NYR pay 1m salary bonus which makes a 4.35m cap number a 2.35m base salary. Pick up 25% for Ottawa. and it makes for 3.1m cap and 1.8m salary. I could see Ottawa biting.

Reactions: Morrison

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Not that B Smith is good but I just have less faith in Ottawa owner worrying about doing right thing vs cheap thing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brendan Smith might be the dumbest player in the league. It’s a shame because most of the skills for a quality 2nd pairing dman are there and you’ll see them fairly often. But then he single handedly loses games with awful turnovers.

So, given this ^ which gives Smith benefit of the doubt, and given assets are commodities with a range of negative - positive values, what do we think Rangers have to cough up to move him?

I agree that he would finally be expiring would be a big dif.

Only other factor is if Marc Staal does not retire, do they buy HIM out? If yes that may provide better $ cushion than buying out Smith.
[So cost of buyout Smith v. cost of buyout Staal is possible competing option.]

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Brendan Smith might be the dumbest player in the league. It’s a shame because most of the skills for a quality 2nd pairing dman are there and you’ll see them fairly often. But then he single handedly loses games with awful turnovers.

Any defenseman can have awful turnover.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Did he move back to playing defense? I know he was getting tried out at forward for a while. (something that was tried in Detroit as well)

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Any defenseman can have awful turnover.
You might sell that load of crap to other fan bases who knew as much as the Rangers did when they traded for him and then signed him to that ludicrous contract. But don’t try to sell that to Wings fans that know he’s dumb and it’s not about a single turnover. It about his constant bonehead plays. Just because in your mind he’s been better lately doesn’t erase his career.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO Smith goes for periods of time trying to play outside his limitations and really I don't see second pairing skills so much as a guy who was a big deal offensive player in college who never quite figured out that those offensive skills he had in college didn't really make the leap with him to the pros. So when he tries the fancy shit he tends to get burned. When he sticks to just playing his position and letting the points come when they come he's somewhere between okay and pretty good.

He has his moments. I like his edge though he can go over the top in that regard too--sometimes taking dumbass penalties and sometimes at dumbass times. He fought Jamie Benn last night and did pretty well. No one was hurt or landed a really big shot but if there was an edge to be given I would give it to Smith.

What's he worth? If a team were interested we're probably talking about a 4th rd.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
IMO Smith goes for periods of time trying to play outside his limitations and really I don't see second pairing skills so much as a guy who was a big deal offensive player in college who never quite figured out that those offensive skills he had in college didn't really make the leap with him to the pros. So when he tries the fancy shit he tends to get burned. When he sticks to just playing his position and letting the points come when they come he's somewhere between okay and pretty good.

He has his moments. I like his edge though he can go over the top in that regard too--sometimes taking dumbass penalties and sometimes at dumbass times. He fought Jamie Benn last night and did pretty well. No one was hurt or landed a really big shot but if there was an edge to be given I would give it to Smith.

What's he worth? If a team were interested we're probably talking about a 4th rd.

The wings will give you Madison Bowey for him. :sarcasm:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I feel like you have to retain 50% on Smith to even have a shot at not adding to him to dump his contract. It’s not like they’re going to be that tight to the cap, so just suffer through another year, and then make the push when Smith and Staal come off the cap.

Figure NYR pay 1m salary bonus which makes a 4.35m cap number a 2.35m base salary. Pick up 25% for Ottawa. and it makes for 3.1m cap and 1.8m salary. I could see Ottawa biting.

Even then though, there’s likely better options for Ottawa. Kris Russell for example fits better in every way. He’s a better dman than Smith, and he makes 1.5 against a 4 million cap hit

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I feel like you have to retain 50% on Smith to even have a shot at not adding to him to dump his contract. It’s not like they’re going to be that tight to the cap, so just suffer through another year, and then make the push when Smith and Staal come off the cap.

Even then though, there’s likely better options for Ottawa. Kris Russell for example fits better in every way. He’s a better dman than Smith, and he makes 1.5 against a 4 million cap hit
Ottawa owner as cheap as he is would take both, Toronto long term ir's etc. He is a snake oil salesman. But I agree Russell is better than Smith. And if Smith doesn't go to Ottawa even at 2.2m cap at 50% I have doubts anyone else would pick up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad