Helene St. James Brendan Smith files for salary arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Sports*

Red Wings D Brendan Smith is one of 21 players who have elected salary arbitration.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: trade him?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
:laugh::laugh::laugh: trade him?

Typically it has been Ken Holland's one-way ticket out of town. :)

Dunno. I expected 1.75 million extension for 2 years before this. Nice to see what he will get.

Year ago Quincey filed for arbitrator, but Holland re-signed him before that arbitration day. He just commented that "it was the part of the process".

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think they will work something out before arbitration, Kenny has just had other things to worry about so far in the summer(like trying to sign Cleary :sarcasm:).

Maybe they buy out Sammy now?

That's a pretty significant part of this 'deal'.

Detroit Sports*

Sammy,Bert , Cleary ,Tootoo BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remember when people tried to argue that Holland was a "genius" for keeping prospects buried so long, because it would save him money for their 1st contract after their ELC expired?

Yeah, I guess that doesn't always work.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
It's probably difficult for Smith not to compare his situation to McDonagh's with the NYR. Both guys played 3 years together at the U of Wisconsin and then started their 3 year ELC's which ended last season. Both were first round selections in 2007, with McD going 12th and Smith 27th.

McD just signed a 6 year deal for $28.2M while Smith obviously won't be seeing anything approaching that term or salary. Of course, McD is a far superior player as of right now, but I'd guess that Smith feels that he could have proved himself as a regular last season, which would have upped his salary potential.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline,

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Remember when people tried to argue that Holland was a "genius" for keeping prospects buried so long, because it would save him money for their 1st contract after their ELC expired?

How do you figure? Smith had a grand total of 8 points last year and arbitration guys love stats. This is Smith's only chance to assure he won't be lowballed to sign close to the QO money.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Smith had a lousy year statistically (and in all other ways). I fail to see why everyone is writing down a huge cap hit for the guy now, just because he filed for arb. He won't get a huge contract out of arb, though he may still get one out of Holland.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Smith had a lousy year statistically (and in all other ways). I fail to see why everyone is writing down a huge cap hit for the guy now, just because he filed for arb. He won't get a huge contract out of arb, though he may still get one out of Holland.

I know. But I'm just hoping the Wings overpay these guys in the short term so they can't bring back he who shant be mentioned.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wonder how often they will quote Zetterberg's line about creating chances... for both teams. :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

And what multimillions are you predicting him to get?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
During the summer of 2002, Brendan Morrison of the Canucks was a man being compared to a mouse. During a salary arbitration hearing, an attorney arguing on behalf of the team tried to minimize Morrison's contributions to Vancouver's just-concluded season by likening linemates Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund to elephants.
"'But for the elephant, [Morrison] never would have been able to get across the swaying bridge,' I still remember the lawyer, in a French accent, telling the arbiter," says Morrison's agent, Denver-based Kurt Overhardt. "'Monsieur arbiter, can we agree that the linemates are the elephant, and player X is the mouse?' It was hilarious. By then, my client was laughing so hard he was turning beet red. Even the guys from the league who were monitoring the whole thing were laughing."
Morrison, who had set career-highs for goals (23), assists (44) and points (67) and was plus-18 that season, laughed last after the hearing. His $775,000 salary tripled as part of a two-year, $4.6 million settlement awarded by an independent third-party. It was the second-highest arbitration increase to that point in league history.

Horror stories from old arbitration cases remain cautionary tales for both teams and players, such as the time in 1997 when former New York Islanders GM Mike Milbury reportedly reduced Tommy Salo to tears with reasons why the goalie didn't deserve his asking price.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../shea-weber-nhl-salary-arbitration/index.html

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And what multimillions are you predicting him to get?

Unless they get him to 4-5 yr contract at 2.5-3 mil, I agree. And I don't see them doing that.

Second contract is always small unless you're a star.

Subban got what, 2.8 mil?

Leddy 2.7 mil.

Kulikov 2.5 mil.

And if Smith could make a case for that type of money, he would also be much better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad