Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres -

Follow Brendan Guhle on Twitter at @Guhle_4 - it's him! Welcome to Buffalo! #SabresDraft2015 #OneBuffalo

Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Twitter - @PARaidersHockey.

LaxSabre - One his first tweets as a member of the Buffalo Sabres family -

Brendan Guhle ‏@Guhle_4 - So excited and honoured to be drafted by the @BuffaloSabres. Dream come true.

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres -

"My Twitter's blowing up right now." - @Guhle_4 - who is also being bombarded with texts. #SabresDraft2015

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

"Guhle led the offensive rush on several occasions and punched shots through from the point, while mixing in smart plays down low in the defensive zone. At one point early on, he stripped McDavid of the puck in a one-on-one situation. Guhle has room to mature his overall game, but you can’t help but see shades of Travis Sanheim (PHI), a fellow WHL product who was a relative unknown before lighting it up in the second half of his draft year."

:sarcasm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He'll get bigger minutes going forward. Good numbers for a draft eligible defenseman and situationally, certainly will get the minutes in all situations.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I remember at the prospects game he caught McDavid and rubbed him out a few times. Announcers were saying he was one of few players who could skate with McDavid in junior hockey. Also said he was really coming into his own. Next year should be big for him.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
CIg9pVgUAAAhQJW.png

CIg9pe5UcAIxKmW.png

Cody Nickolet ‏@DubFromAbove 32 minutes ago
LHD Brendan Guhle goes 51st to BUF. Had him rated more as a 3rd/4th. Raw but major upside here, an elite skater.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Based on what I've heard, I'm glad we didn't take Kylington. This seems like a pretty safe pick, which we need at that position.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Liked him in the interview. Seems genuine. Loved his answer when they asked what kind of defeceman are you? "I'm a do it all defenceman". Love it!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From Baker's Sabres Draft Preview:

4th round, 92nd overall

The Pick: Brendan Guhle - LHD, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), 6'2", 185 lbs.

A big body who has the look of a solid physical presence once his frame fills out, the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Guhle is a beautiful skater who embraced a big-minute role this past season after the Raiders dealt Josh Morrissey (WPG) to Kelowna. He isn't an offensive stalwart. nor is he a shutdown, top-pair anchor, but he has the tools to be a good support piece who can lend to the transition game as he settles into his growing body.

I think in most drafts he'd be a solid third round selection, so if he somehow slips to the start of the fourth, you have to look long and hard at a player who is both physical and durable with a raw yet emerging set of offensive tools. We're getting into the area where you're looking to grab developing talents with upside, and Guhle is one that stands out in this category, especially given the Sabres current situation.

So Guhle was his preferred pick for us in the 4th

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Sabres Get Two Top Performers At Scouting Combine - http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=40374&navid=nhl:topheads
By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor - 2015 NHL Draft blog.
Follow Adam Kimelman on Twitter - @NHLAdamK

Sunrise, Florida - Two of the players who performed best during the physical testing at the NHL Scouting Combine earlier this month in Buffalo were Boston University center Jack Eichel and Prince Albert Raiders defenseman Brendan Guhle. They're now teammates with the Buffalo Sabres, who used the No. 2 pick of the 2015 NHL Draft on Friday to select Eichel. On Saturday, they selected Guhle at No. 51 in the second round. "It's good city for me so far," Guhle said of Buffalo.

The 6-foot-1, 184-pound defenseman had five goals and 32 points in 72 games. But at the Combine he scored in the top 10 in seven categories, matching Eichel for the most among the prospects. His best result came on the Wingate Ergometer stationary bike test, which measures a skater's explosive power in a 30-second burst. His score of 19.9 dwarfed the leader in that category at the 2014 Combine, Toronto Maple Leafs prospect William Nylander, who had a 17.5.

Guhle also had the best long jump at 122 inches; the fourth-highest vertical leap at 27 inches; tied for the third-most pull-ups with 12; tied for the fifth-fastest in the pro agility test starting right at 4.39 seconds; the seventh-fasted in the pro agility starting left at 4.47 seconds; and tied for the seventh-most repetitions on the bench press with 15.

"I was surprised about a couple things I did well," Guhle said of his Combine performance. "Better than I thought I did. And the interview went really well." Guhle said he thought after his success at the Combine that the Sabres could be a landing spot for him. "I had a pretty good feeling about them," he said. "And they had a lot of picks, which is a good sign."

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
So why wasn't this kid ranked higher? An extremely strong and excellent skating D with a good head on his shoulders. Offensive upside doesn't seem like nothing, 32 points isn't bad at all.

I really like this pick though. Seems guaranteed to play for us in the future.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So why wasn't this kid ranked higher? An extremely strong and excellent skating D with a good head on his shoulders. Offensive upside doesn't seem like nothing, 32 points isn't bad at all.

I really like this pick though. Seems guaranteed to play for us in the future.

Good question. He seems to have a more well-rounded game, and less warts than many of the other late 1st/early 2nd round d that were taken. Seems to be exactly what we need, based on descriptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad