Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
It is, but skill is more important. You can have both skills and compete level, who knew.
Don't disagree with either of those statements, but compete maximizes skill as well. Look at Gallagher, he honestly shouldn't even be in the NHL, yet he's a 30 goal guy. Also compete is part of our identity, look at Tatar, Domi, Shaw, Danault, Gally, etc... the guy's who don't compete (Drouin, Galchenyuk) stick out like a sore thumb- and not in a good way.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Don't disagree with either of those statements, but compete maximizes skill as well. Look at Gallagher, he honestly shouldn't even be in the NHL, yet he's a 30 goal guy. Also compete is part of our identity, look at Tatar, Domi, Shaw, Danault, Gally, etc... the guy's who don't compete (Drouin, Galchenyuk) stick out like a sore thumb- and not in a good way.
Thats ridiculous. Stop underselling Gallagher. You dont score back to back 30+ goals season while playing with Danault and Plekanec if youre not talented. I think thats the most ridiculous thing about this fanbase.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Thats ridiculous. Stop underselling Gallagher. You dont score back to back 30+ goals season while playing with Danault and Plekanec if youre not talented. I think thats the most ridiculous thing about this fanbase.
His combination of size, skating, and skill level isn't that of a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. That's why he went in the 5th round. He's a 30 goal scorer because of his elite intangibles.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Gallagher statistiques - CH.jpg

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I called this level of performance from his rookie season.

So many fans doubted his ability to become a legit sniper, but imo you see the trajectory unfolding from his draft year on & as soon as he showed his ability to handle the jump to the NHL despite his size, it was a matter of time before he'd get to this consistent level.

Athletes wired like him continuously improve far longer than more "talented" guys (like Drouin), so while the initial impact isn't as sexy, betting on a long steady upward slope is warranted.

(I've been wrong on far more bets about player development than I've hit, to be sure... But like PK becoming a Norris caliber dman, this one was a slam dunk in my mind from a very early point. Just wish I could've actually bet on it lol)

Big thing with Gallagher is that he spent alot of time being the only one going into the corners while DD and Max floated and waited for the pass. He didn't have many opportunities to show off his shot, which has always been strong. All his goals came from the crease, so people wrongly thought he had a muffin for a shot. And really all his offensive skills improved. Gallagher is the long-term investment that pays off. Smart and athletic enough to get better, and not just polish what he was born with.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Big thing with Gallagher is that he spent alot of time being the only one going into the corners while DD and Max floated and waited for the pass. He didn't have many opportunities to show off his shot, which has always been strong. All his goals came from the crease, so people wrongly thought he had a muffin for a shot. And really all his offensive skills improved. Gallagher is the long-term investment that pays off. Smart and athletic enough to get better, and not just polish what he was born with.
Brendan exploited his full potential since a while. Before, he was not much a complete player. Waiting just for rebounds. Hiding the view of the goalkeepers. He acquired further versatility. On working during summers to develop some aspects of his game.To reach out his upsides.

Solid shots. Extra frame. Great physical conditioning. Absorbing hits. And doing more bodychecks. The puck appeal/cross-appeal soccermethod. Etc...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's always a little extra sweet when a guy picked in the later rounds turns into a great player like he has. If only some of his work ethic could rub off on others.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not to mention he is probably the only power forward on his line... Pretty impressive at 5” something.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
It's always a little extra sweet when a guy picked in the later rounds turns into a great player like he has. If only some of his work ethic could rub off on others.
A earlier or later round it's just a simple ranking. Smarter players won't staying on it any longer. Moving up quickly. And going to prove themselves into a day to day basis.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So if Gallagher's elite intangibles made him a 30-goal scorer, wouldn't that make his skillset pretty tangible? What's more tangible than goal-scoring in hockey?
Tangible skills refer to skills such as strength, skating, shooting, hands, etc. Gallagher wins by outworking opponents.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Tangible skills refer to skills such as strength, skating, shooting, hands, etc. Gallagher wins by outworking opponents.

I think the issue here is that there's a misunderstanding of what a tangible skill is. If a skill is intangible, then it's necessarily difficult to measure. Instead, we've got a very clear tangible result: Gallagher scores goals. So it must be that Gallagher's tangible skills are very high, because he is performing well in the most tangible metric possible (scoring goals). He may be lacking in athletic prowess (such as strength, skating, etc. each of which have a debatable correlation to goal scoring). Just because a player looks bigger, or benches more weight, or skates faster, doesn't mean that they have more tangible hockey skills; positioning and being ahead of the play is critical. And both positioning and being ahead of the play are very tangible skillsets, since they allow players to get more shots on goal & superior opportunities (which this thread began with).

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the issue here is that there's a misunderstanding of what a tangible skill is. If a skill is intangible, then it's necessarily difficult to measure. Instead, we've got a very clear tangible result: Gallagher scores goals. So it must be that Gallagher's tangible skills are very high, because he is performing well in the most tangible metric possible (scoring goals). He may be lacking in athletic prowess (such as strength, skating, etc. each of which have a debatable correlation to goal scoring). Just because a player looks bigger, or benches more weight, or skates faster, doesn't mean that they have more tangible hockey skills; positioning and being ahead of the play is critical. And both positioning and being ahead of the play are very tangible skillsets, since they allow players to get more shots on goal & superior opportunities (which this thread began with).
So your calling goals a skill?

Most scouts break it down to
Size
Skating
Skills
IQ
Compete

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I've never read where Gally and talent/talented were in the same sentence. This guy scored a lot because he was not afraid to go to the dirty areas of the offensive zone and he parked himself in front of the opposing goalie and took much physical abuse.

There have been a few NHL analysts who think with Gally consistently playing hard shifts, his small body will wear down within a few years and the Habs may move him before that happens.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
What I find fantastic about Gallagher's season is that he reaches the 300 shots while playing with second liners, with second line ice time playing tough opponents and wasn't a fixture on the first wave of the powerplay. All others who have this number of shots output are elite players playing 2+ minutes and those extra minutes are mostly played with an extra man. It makes wonder what he could do with better linemates and that extra powerplay time. I am intrigued what he could do with domi which I don't think happened this season even tough Gallagher - Danault - Tatar was great all year around and should be back as a unit next year. I wonder if he could hard work his way into a 35-40 goals with better circumstances and a healthy year.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Indeed an talented warmhearted player. Compensating a lot of lacks by other elements. His size, etc. Kinda survived. And adapted himself to each of the NHL newest style. Which growing up at a lightning speed . Acquired the leadership. Hate to lose. Making and makes his teammates better. Everyone wants to have that prototype of player on his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad