Breakout Player / Pleasant Surprise for 2013

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
For the last few years we've been lucky enough to have some players really come into their own as Rangers. Whether those are up-and-coming kids who we've all been watching since they were drafted (Del Zotto, Stepan, Staal), or guys who just came out of nowhere to make an impact (Girardi, Prust, Callahan). We have the typical lineup / trade threads going, but I wanted to get a different kind of discussion going. So, who is your breakout player and / or biggest surprise of the shortened 2013 season?

Personally, I'm really intrigued by Marek Hrivik. The kid has sublime hands but was passed over several times in the draft because his skating was terrible. He's made huge strides in that department, and you could even say he's "deceptively fast" at this point. He needs to shoot the puck more, but I think he could be built to succeed in the Rangers system. I think he's really going to turn some heads this year.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I agree with Hrivik. I think most of the other suspects have been covered. I will say that while I don't think either is very likely, I could see Miller or McIlrath being an injury call-up and doing well.

The main "surprise" that I think we will see is the return of a dominant Marc Staal. The great play of McD and Girardi kind of made people forget how good Staal was for the team. I think Staal will be back in a big way, reminding people what he's capable of.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Personally, I'm really intrigued by Marek Hrivik. The kid has sublime hands but was passed over several times in the draft because his skating was terrible. He's made huge strides in that department, and you could even say he's "deceptively fast" at this point. He needs to shoot the puck more, but I think he could be built to succeed in the Rangers system. I think he's really going to turn some heads this year.

Well we could certainly use a bit more depth/scoring on the bottom 6, so I hope you're right on Hrivik. That would be a nice bonus.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don't have any major dark horses, but here's 3 pleasant surprises...

1. Asham - the fans will actually take to him pretty quickly. Fan favorite. I know there's been a really negative outlook on him so far.

2. Stralman - Continues to develop this season and becomes a very solid 2-way top 4 defenseman (Though he may very well be on our 3rd pair).

3. McIlrath - actually gets a handful of games at the end of the regular season and looks very competent on the blue line. Fans will stop seeing him as just an enforcer and begin seeing some potential.

------------

Two UNpleasant surprises...

1. Stepan - is decent, but doesn't take that next step that you're really hoping to see.

2. Kreider - struggles out of the gate, and 2/3 of the board flips out. He picks things up as the season progresses, but people stop seeing him as a potential 30-40 goal scorer and begin seeing him as a nice 2nd line winger who could probably be a 25 goal - 25 assist guy.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
JT Miller.

Yeah, I said it.

Becomes a regular third line contributor before season's end.

Can he play center at all? Cause that'd be awesome.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think the biggest surprise will be Taylor Pyatt. Don't think hes been talked about much, and think he will be a big upgrade in the bottom 6.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
1. Stepan - is decent, but doesn't take that next step that you're really hoping to see.

2. Kreider - struggles out of the gate, and 2/3 of the board flips out. He picks things up as the season progresses, but people stop seeing him as a potential 30-40 goal scorer and begin seeing him as a nice 2nd line winger who could probably be a 25 goal - 25 assist guy.

I could see both these things happening, particularly Kreider.

I would love for him to be a Nash/Gaborik level player but maybe he's just more like a Ryan Callahan-level or Andrew Ladd-level player (I know, different skill set, just saying that tier of guy, a plus 2nd liner, but not an elite first liner).

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Whale use him at Center and he played as a center during the WJC.

That's what I thought, but he keeps being referred to as a winger in some reports.

I feel like I'd rather him play center for us.

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Asham - Boyle - Rupp/Haley

Seems better to be than with Boyle on the third line and Halpern on the fourth.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the Rangers site--Schoenfeld talks specifically about Hrivik--says the biggest improvement he can make is with his shot. He likes his defense, playmaking, board work. He more or less says if he relies too much on his playmaking at the NHL level--other teams will adjust and cover his linemates better. He's got to be a bit more of a goal scoring threat. Schoeny went on to say that both Hrivik and Kyle Jean are spending extra time shooting pucks to improve in that area of their games.

Sounds to me like Hrivik may not be that far away in their minds but he's not quite ready for the NHL.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That's what I thought, but he keeps being referred to as a winger in some reports.

I feel like I'd rather him play center for us.

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Nash - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Pyatt
Asham - Boyle - Rupp/Haley

Seems better to be than with Boyle on the third line and Halpern on the fourth.

What is Miller's role in this scenario? Are you expecting Boyle to be a shut-down type of guy? Because a line with Miller/Kreider isnt stopping anybody. And does that mean you're willing to give Asham/Rupp more minutes?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Completely hypothetical but

Hagelin - Miller/Boyle - Boyle/Miller

Would probably be a great shutdown line. Miller is often credited as a good two way defensive player.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
My breakout player is Stepan. I know people are still down on him after a disappointing playoffs, but considering the players he'll be playing with I can see him putting up impressive numbers. Especially if he finds chemistry with his wingers and the powerplay is at least average. Del Zotto is another candidate,but he's going to have some serious competition for ES minutes.

My pleasant surprise is Gilroy, granted that he gets signed. Injuries happen and I can see him doing pretty well. I still think he can put it together. The difference between now and 2009 is back then he was the golden boy college FA, now he's fighting for his professional career. I can see him playing with more fire, commitment, and balls.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well, I still have Christian Thomas turning into a bona fide sniper on my wish list, so we'll go with that one.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i think mike rupp is going to be a nice surprise now that he is healthy. he'll be much better than last year

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

That's the kid I've been pimping for a month now. I also would like to point out that he's very responsible defensively, having been coached by a defense-first coach in juniors. I've never seen him in Hartford thinking he isn't keeping up with others. Is he as fast as Kreider? No, but nobody is and he's no slower than most quality prospects.

I am just not seeing serious flaws with this kid. He has decent size, his skating is acceptable, he has good hands, he thinks well both on offense and defense. He's really excelled on the first line in Hartford when he was placed there, showing that he will only improve with better linemates and more responsibility.

If he has good work ethic in practice (I have no knowledge of that, either in good or bad direction), he should be in the NHL within 12 months.

Kershaw

Stick Hrivik with Gabby so the can get the Slovakian chemistry going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad