Breaking News NHL TV Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

dwkdnvr said:
Some quick thoughts:
- IMHO, it's clear that Comcast is looking to transition OLN from what it is now to something more broadly sports oriented. Complaining that the NHL is now on the 'rodeo network' misses much of the point, since the NHL will be a key part of their re-branding away from rodeo/hunting/fishing.
- Getting away from ESPN is IMHO a good thing. ESPN is increasingly less about *showing* sports and more about sports as an avenue to advance ones ego - it's all about spouting strong opinions, focussing on 'bad boy' players and scandals, bragging rights in fantasy leagues etc. It's patently clear that the ESPN viewers couldn't care less about hockey, and that probably won't change any time soon, so staying slavishly beholden to them is a losing proposition.
- A new Comcast net will initially attract more open minded/curious viewers looking for an alternative to ESPN, and thus might be a more receptive audience than we'd find on a more established station
- HD MUST be a big part of the equation. IMHO this is so important that if the only way the NHL gets widespread HD coverage is to go with ESPN, it may be worth it just for that.

Okay, maybe not the most coherent collection of thoughts, but I think this may be a good thing overall.

Solid post.

Hate to say it but the absolute key to this deal would be if Comcast lands the NFL package. The encouraging thing is they have the deep pockets to do it. Then I would agree that there would be some major NFL/NHL cross promotion going on.

I know locally here in C-bus we get OLN and both INHD channels in the Time Warner Cable package.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
santiclaws said:
What else could it possibly apply to? There are no national channels carrying games unless you count NBC.

I would assume it's pertaining to any Centre Ice games that are being broadcast during that specific time slot on the day in question. But - that's just speculation - I'm sure when this thing gets finalized - we will get that info.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Here's some food for thought...

E-mailed InHD last week, asking if they were going to pick up any NHL hockey this year. (They did pick up a couple CSTV College Games last season) -- I have yet to get a response.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
I'm getting center ice, so it doesn't matter to me. For the NHL's sake I hope they get more than 2 games (pathetic) a week on OLN and I hope there can be an effort to change the name of the channel. Hockey on the Outdoor Life Network? C'mon.....it might as well be on Oprah's channel.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I think they have focused more recently on using just the letters-- they may redefine what they stand for. Having a US broadcast partner is largely to grow the game. Hard core will opt for Center Ice

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Well if Comcast owns INHD and INHD2 then I stand corrected about what i said earlier about not wanting this deal to go through. INHD/INHD2 are 2 of my favorite channels considering how few channels there are in HD (on Time Warner Cable i get about 20.) This would be easily as good as if not better than an NHL deal on ESPN, as ESPN HD hardly ever even shows anything in HD. Why they have an ESPN-HD2 is anyones guess...but i don't even get that yet. This sounds exactly like what the NHL needs.

and INHD already broadcasts 3 MLB games a week in 1080i with 5.1 sound...

http://www.inhd.com/item.jsp?item=11

sounds like the NHL would be a nice addition to their lineup.

after a little more research it appears that INHD is owned by Comcast iN Demand Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications Inc., and Time Warner Entertainment–Advance/Newhouse partnership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INHD

Last edited:

LightningVinny

Jul 5, 2005
bubba5 said:
This is great news, comcast owns INHD, so hockey in HD, Awesome!

They do? Damn, I might have pay that extra 6 bucks a month to get that channel (along with like 4 other HD channels). I'm on a free preview for it at the moment.

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
Joe_Strummer said:
no, Comcast owns OLN, and the rumor is that they're going to turn OLN into Comcast Sports Net sports flagship channel ... I'm stoked ... **** ESPN & their fishing, poker, cheerleading & spelling bee specials :madfire:

I hope OLN gets it. ESPN has proven they don't need to be anywhere near hockey when they would rather show crap like fishing and cheerleading. Screw ESPN.

Now if OLN could pick up Formula 1 too, I'd have no reason to leave my couch.

Last edited:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Niftyone said:
Also, I wonder what a $100 millon dollar TV contract does to the salary cap for next year? :dunno:

$50M per year won't really make much of a dent in this 1.5 to 2.1 Billion dollar per year revenues.

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm actually hoping ESPN matches the offer just so I can watch other games... our campus cable system doesn't carry OLN.

They do get Fox Sports Pittsburgh :D

ostiguy

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
dwkdnvr said:
The article was pretty vague on the HD connection. The InHD stations would be the logical avenue, but for Colorado folks that could be interesting. Last year, Altitude took over one of the InHD channels for HD broadcasts of Nuggets home games, and the obvious assumption is that they'll do this for Avs games as well. If Comcast plans to run additional new/commited programming through them, it could lead to conflicts.

IMHO anyone that picks up the NHL but doesn't get it on HD is desperately in need of a clue.

Of course, InHD would screw the satellite guys out of HD - it's a cable-only property right now.

In Boston, there have been occasions when the NESN Bruins HD telecast was run on one INHD, and the FoxSports New England Celtics has been on the other one.

You are right with your HD concerns though - INHD = cable systems only.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
From Todays Buffalo News

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050813/1046630.asp

Comcast has made what the Sabres believe to be a two-year, $135 million offer to carry NHL games on its Outdoor Life Network, best known for its Tour de France coverage. ESPN has until next week to match the offer, which would give the Sabres about $2 million a season. OLN is only available to Adelphia subscribers who have digital cable. So hockey fans would be much better off here if ESPN decides to match Comcast's offer.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Comcast may be able to get into more homes once they rebrand away from OLN. ESPN charges cable companies a fairly hefty rights fee to carry their networks on a cable system, and some of the cable providers have locked horns with ESPN in the past in regards to the fees.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Briere03 said:
OLN is in the standard cable package here in Nova Scotia, so I'm good! :D
But that's OLN Canada, this is a TV deal for the states.. I'm not sure we in Canada will get the games.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Scugs said:
ESPN will rue the day they didn't pick up the NHL when it was cheap.

"Rue the day? Who talks like that?"

Seriously, though, the OLN deal is amazing for one reason: That there are actually networks willing to pay the NHL up front after Bettman brokered that pathetic public access deal with a network in a ratings freefall.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Interesting that the Philly radio report put Comcasts offer at 125- 150 million. The Buffalo News put it at 135.

In a range of 60-75 million per year. The Figure ESPN already passed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad