Post-Game Talk: Bread Wings

3 Stars

• Total voters

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
... which is why it's a mental thing.

I'm no expert on the Xs and Os of hockey but I'd bet that he's slower to adapt to the ins and outs of the new scheme than Lafreniere has been and that's about 60% of the problem right now.

It may be over for Kakko ever being a real impact-like player, but trading him for a rental or even a 2-year player who is over 30 is a horrible idea if you can unlock 25-25-50 out of him, like an age 25-28 Chris Kreider with plus defense. You don't trade that for a third line player, you package it for a star maybe.
Absolutely think it’s mental. He has the ability to get around defenders but he’s so reluctant to try. I could almost see him overthinking things when he had the puck. I might be projecting but i really think he was gonna break out soon if not for the injury.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It’s hard to not like a guy that’s all heart and he is

But he’s got zero skill
He’s small
He’s become a punching bag that no one respects in the league. They run him nightly

he plays with arguably the best partner in the world. That props anyone up.

But he’s going to be due a raise. He can’t make a simple play. There’s zero chance I can sign him. None

Zucc Tarasenko maybe vatrano. All guys I think they’re going to seriously look at.

Kakko is no longer going to be considered an option for the top 6. So I think they’ll be willing to look at a good contract with some term.

Not sure what happens to kakko this summer if he doesn’t come back and have a great playoffs
Who is this about, Lindgren?

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, I agree with you. I didn't say he IS a bust. 40 5v5 points the season before, that's great. But he badly regressed before getting hurt. Of course, I want him to not bust.
Believe me I wasn’t satisfied with his start either, but he’s still a kid and it was what? 19 games? I hope you didn’t take my post as implying you WANTED him to bust.

Reactions: will1066

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
You'd get the same "moaning and groaning" for a generic $800k player if he was used as 1RW, i.e. it's not about Wheeler per se by how's he been utilized.
fair enough, but people are also calling for Vesey and his whopping 8 points to play there instead. Same cap hit btw.

people are ascribing undue expectations to him because of his name.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I know you hate Goodrow down to the core of your essence and fiber of your being, and oftentimes it's actually hilarious. If Goodrow appeared on local news as having saved an old lady crossing the street in front of a bus, and you were an eyewitness, you would have told the reporter interviewing you that he regularly gets caved in on his shifts, completely bypassing that he blocked the bus from crashing into the senior.
But I never said anything about Goodrow. I was just calling out how a young player is never appreciated by fans when they play team-first defensive/gritty hockey when theyre not producing. Meanwhile people will nut their pants when veterans do the exact same shit

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
fair enough, but people are also calling for Vesey and his whopping 8 points to play there instead. Same cap hit btw.

people are ascribing undue expectations to him because of his name.
8 whopping points from the 4th line, which to start the year went entire games without getting a shot on net. Vesey has been extremely productive 5v5 considering his role. His 2.44 5v5 P/60 is second on the team behind Panarin (2.62) well ahead of Laf in 3rd (2.13). Not sustainable in his current role, but he can't be accused of not producing.

FWIW Vesey is perhaps the winger that has statistically worked best next to 20-93 since Buch, Fast and Zucc left (driving play without scoring drying up entirely like with Kakko). So unless we trade for a player in the Buch/Zucc mould like Schmaltz, I'd like to see how well Vesey can emulate a Fast type impact with a better scoring touch.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
We need Gus with Fox and let Lindgren help out Schneider.
I'd be interested in at least trying Gus-Fox and see if they can work together in a Hughes-Hronek manner, though I'm slightly worried about the other pairings in that scenario considering the inconsistency of Miller-Trouba and that Lindgren-Schneider sounds like a pairing that only manages to enter the offensive zone once per period.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I didn't get a chance to comment after the game. Glad we won. Great to see Laffy look so good. But I personally found the first period and part of the 2nd very frustrating. The team in the first period was dominating possession at times 5v5. They had good zone time. Yet towards the end of the period, the shots were like 8-6 us. And 6 of our shots were on the PP.

I get that we have a lot of high skilled players, but the over reliance on making the perfect finesse plays at 5v5 are a real problem. We would gain the zone, enter it, get control of the puck and then literally just skate around the boards and blue line like we were drawing an outline around the zone. We turned away from shots if they weren't perfect. Players without the puck veered away from the front of the net. We were not trying to set up any screens, deflections, anything. It was a very indirect style of hockey that was easy to defend as the Wings could defend the center of the ice, just sorta let us tire ourselves out and then could counter when opportunity presented. That game should NOT have been close. We out possessed them for large stretches, but we are falling back into the rut of last year where we don't attack the middle of the ice enough and we then don't defend the middle of our ice enough.

We were also not simply getting pucks in deep. We were turning pucks over in dangerous spots which meant more rushes the other way. We were doing much better earlier in the year at puck management in general and we looked faster. We're looking a bit slower and a bit easier to defend by adding in too much east west in the NZ and OZ. And it's no mistake that players like Cuylle look a little less effective. Luckily the 4th line still plays N/S and more direct and you can see they've become one of the more effective 5v5 lines.

2 of our 3 goals were those pretty plays where we pass across the royal road. The Vesey goal, which turned out to be the game winner was one of the few times when a player (Laff!) decided to take a shot eventhough he knew it had no chance of going in and it created a rebound that Vesey converted cause he drove to the net.

The sky isn't falling. We keep winning. But we need some correction. This style works ok the first 50 games of the season. But it won't work down the stretch and it won't work in the playoffs.

Finally, someone mentioned, I think it was Brooks, that the Rangers have always had more finesse teams. It's true. Aside from black and blue rangers years. But it's also interesting to note that the Garden ice is notoriously shitty and filled with ruts (see kakko's latest injury) and it's amazing that Rangers teams don't bother to adapt their game to fit their home barn a bit more. IT's just harder to play a finesse game on bad ice. And it's fun to note that the black and blue shirts were by far the most successful run of hockey outside of 90-94 in my lifetime and I'm nearly 50.

In any case, I hope coaching staff is rectifying and finding ways to be a little smarter about their 5v5 play style. Gonna bite us biiiig time in playoffs if we aren't used to playing a playoff brand of hockey come postseason.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Vince says it's possibly Quick tomorrow and Shesterkin on Sunday.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I didn't get a chance to comment after the game. Glad we won. Great to see Laffy look so good. But I personally found the first period and part of the 2nd very frustrating. The team in the first period was dominating possession at times 5v5. They had good zone time. Yet towards the end of the period, the shots were like 8-6 us. And 6 of our shots were on the PP.

I get that we have a lot of high skilled players, but the over reliance on making the perfect finesse plays at 5v5 are a real problem. We would gain the zone, enter it, get control of the puck and then literally just skate around the boards and blue line like we were drawing an outline around the zone. We turned away from shots if they weren't perfect. Players without the puck veered away from the front of the net. We were not trying to set up any screens, deflections, anything. It was a very indirect style of hockey that was easy to defend as the Wings could defend the center of the ice, just sorta let us tire ourselves out and then could counter when opportunity presented. That game should NOT have been close. We out possessed them for large stretches, but we are falling back into the rut of last year where we don't attack the middle of the ice enough and we then don't defend the middle of our ice enough.

We were also not simply getting pucks in deep. We were turning pucks over in dangerous spots which meant more rushes the other way. We were doing much better earlier in the year at puck management in general and we looked faster. We're looking a bit slower and a bit easier to defend by adding in too much east west in the NZ and OZ. And it's no mistake that players like Cuylle look a little less effective. Luckily the 4th line still plays N/S and more direct and you can see they've become one of the more effective 5v5 lines.

2 of our 3 goals were those pretty plays where we pass across the royal road. The Vesey goal, which turned out to be the game winner was one of the few times when a player (Laff!) decided to take a shot eventhough he knew it had no chance of going in and it created a rebound that Vesey converted cause he drove to the net.

The sky isn't falling. We keep winning. But we need some correction. This style works ok the first 50 games of the season. But it won't work down the stretch and it won't work in the playoffs.

Finally, someone mentioned, I think it was Brooks, that the Rangers have always had more finesse teams. It's true. Aside from black and blue rangers years. But it's also interesting to note that the Garden ice is notoriously shitty and filled with ruts (see kakko's latest injury) and it's amazing that Rangers teams don't bother to adapt their game to fit their home barn a bit more. IT's just harder to play a finesse game on bad ice. And it's fun to note that the black and blue shirts were by far the most successful run of hockey outside of 90-94 in my lifetime and I'm nearly 50.

In any case, I hope coaching staff is rectifying and finding ways to be a little smarter about their 5v5 play style. Gonna bite us biiiig time in playoffs if we aren't used to playing a playoff brand of hockey come postseason.
Good points. While the team is way better this season, it seems to be mostly due to the defense. The offense is better too but it’s more of an incremental improvement. Still too much east-west. They’re going to the net more than they did the last few years but not a ton more.
Still think they’re basically moving in the right direction. Just the offense coming along a little more slowly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad