Braydon Coburn, Zone Entry Data featured on FiveThirtyEight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-people-pushing-the-nhl-into-the-advanced-stats-era/

Eric Tulsky's first piece for 538 focuses on zone entry data and features Flyers defensemen pairing of Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn.

Opposing teams seem to be attacking Timonen’s side of the ice somewhat more often than Coburn’s. Through 70 games, it was 25 percent more common for Timonen’s man to attempt a zone entry when both Timonen and Coburn were on the ice together. There’s good reason for teams to stay away from Coburn: Opponents are 16 percent less likely to successfully carry the puck into the offensive zone when attacking his side of the ice — and more than twice as likely to see the play broken up altogether.

Coburn has clearly been the player helping the Flyers obtain possession at the defensive end. Without Schmidt, we wouldn’t know that with any accuracy because Coburn’s results have come from a collection of small plays, unrecorded in the box score and overlooked by most observers.

The magic of analytics is in recording all of the small things lost to memory that add up to something significant. As this sort of micro-tracking spreads and eventually becomes automated, we’ll get better and better at capturing and valuing the cumulative impact of these small plays. Once teams can easily access a season’s worth of data – along with zone exits, passing maps, shooting tendencies, defensive positioning and the rest of it — there will inevitably be significant changes in both evaluation and strategy.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
This is very interesting, Coburn seems to make some bonehead mistakes but he is probably the most sound defensemen in our own zone. Coburn has all of the right tools to be a great #2 guy with his speed,strength, and defensive IQ. If only he had more "natural gifts", he could be a #1.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Finally had a chance to sit down and read this. Really interesting stuff and it highlights how badly we need SportVu or similar in the NHL.

Unfortunately, as is noted, there's some issues to be worked out (stick and puck placement being the two big ones), but I still think that within 5 years we (or at least teams internally) will have that level of data.

It's a project I'd love to devote my development time/effort to if I had enough of either to really make a difference.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Really well-done article (I'd expect nothing less from 538) - thanks for posting it.

Zone entries are something I've always been intrigued by, and I love the tracking that's being done here.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'd be interested to see how many times the play was going Coburn's direction and the guy looked cross ice for a pass, skated across the ice to attack Kimmo's side, or chose the dump into Kimmo's corner instead of Coburn's. As a player, I'm sure everyone can agree when you have time and space and you're coming down the middle, it's not uncommon for a player to look up, and choose the weaker defenseman to attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad