Confirmed with Link: Brayden Schenn traded to St. Louis for 27th OV, Jori Lehtera, Future 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I told a Blues fan not to expect to hear "what a setup by Schenn" too often next season.

Having said that, maybe it was our system, maybe it was his line mates, or a combo of both and he'll prosper at center in St Louis. I wish him luck and hope he succeeds.

We'll probably try him at centre, and if it doesn't work then he'll be a RW.

The thing about Tarasenko and Schwartz is they create their own offense, getting someone who can keep up with them and be another goalscoring threat at centre might be ideal. We don't really need a playmaker in there, we need someone to keep the defense honest.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a playmaker in that role.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We'll probably try him at centre, and if it doesn't work then he'll be a RW.

The thing about Tarasenko and Schwartz is they create their own offense, getting someone who can keep up with them and be another goalscoring threat at centre might be ideal. We don't really need a playmaker in there, we need someone to keep the defense honest.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a playmaker in that role.

Might be a problem. He's neither physically fast, nor mentally fast.

He's definitely a good player, I liked him a lot and defended him when nearly everyone else wanted him gone (like two offseasons ago before he started really scoring), but he definitely has his spots where he's good and spots where he's... less than ideal.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Might be a problem. He's neither physically fast, nor mentally fast.

He's definitely a good player, I liked him a lot and defended him when nearly everyone else wanted him gone (like two offseasons ago before he started really scoring), but he definitely has his spots where he's good and spots where he's... less than ideal.

But he is an improvement from Lehtera for the Blues and will help their PP.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well yeah, definitely an upgrade. I'm just saying expecting him to keep up with them, especially at center, might be a bit optimistic.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Well yeah, definitely an upgrade. I'm just saying expecting him to keep up with them, especially at center, might be a bit optimistic.

I agree...he will help on PP. Lehtera lost his PP time. Schenn replaces him & should help the Blues in that aspect. If he stays at center... I will be surprised. The Blues are in win now mode.... but I would love if they falter and end up with the the 11th pick next season. :)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree...he will help on PP. Lehtera lost his PP time. Schenn replaces him & should help the Blues in that aspect. If he stays at center... I will be surprised. The Blues are in win now mode.... but I would love if they falter and end up with the the 11th pick next season. :)

Thanks to the draft lottery, I think we've used up all of our draft pick luck already. :laugh:

But yeah, that's best case scenario........ and now they'll win the cup.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks to the draft lottery, I think we've used up all of our draft pick luck already. :laugh:

But yeah, that's best case scenario........ and now they'll win the cup.

I know ....add getting Provorov to Patrick two out of the last three years. And our draft lottery luck may have run out. But you never know.... if Edmonton can do it; why not us.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
A few of the individual Flyer fans arguing in the trade board Schenn thread (and representing Flyer fans) aren't regulars here (some, I suspect, for good reason.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A few of the individual Flyer fans arguing in the trade board Schenn thread (and representing Flyer fans) aren't regulars here (some, I suspect, for good reason.)

That really bothers me for some reason.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Yeah, there are a whole bunch of those guys around. I can't stand it, so I just stay away.

WRONG!!!!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Has it been said what happens if the pick doesn't convey in 2018 or 2019? Unprotected?

Yeah plus they get a third rounder in 2019.

Edit: Actually capfriendly changed the conditions.

Old Description:

Condition: If the 2018 draft pick becomes a top 10 pick, Blues have the option to move the pick to 2019. If it is a top 10 pick in 2019, Blues have the option to move the pick to 2020. If the pick is moved to 2019 or 2020, the Flyers will also receive a 2019 3rd round pick.

New Description:

Condition: If the 2018 draft pick becomes a top 10 pick, Blues have the option to move the pick to 2019. If the pick is moved to 2019, the Flyers will also receive a 2020 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Yeah plus they get a third rounder in 2019.

Edit: Actually capfriendly changed the conditions.

New Description:

Condition: If the 2018 draft pick becomes a top 10 pick, Blues have the option to move the pick to 2019. If the pick is moved to 2019, the Flyers will also receive a 2020 3rd round pick.

Hmmm, so it's unprotected in 2019? We need some clarification here. An unprotected 1st in 2019 sounds fantastic. I'll take that all day.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hmmm, so it's unprotected in 2019? We need some clarification here. An unprotected 1st in 2019 sounds fantastic. I'll take that all day.

Yeah, I've been confused about that part of the condition. Can the Blues defer the pick to 2020 if it's both a top ten pick in 2018 & 2019? I've seen that listed as a condition in some places but not others.

If they can't defer to 2020, just think of it: the Blues hand Schenn the first line center spot. On his very first preseason shift, he accidentally runs right into Tarasenko, injuring him for the year. The Blues are devastated and finish out of the playoffs and with the # 10 pick in hand, choose to defer to 2019. In Sept. 2018, the Blues, having learned their lesson or so they thought, decide against letting Schenn on the ice at the same time with Tarasenko and suit him up at RW on the second line. On his very first shift of preseason, he accidentally runs into Pietrangelo, injuring him for the year. On the way back to the bench, a deeply ashamed Brayden Schenn isn't paying attention and accidentally runs into Tarasenko who is just jumping off the bench, injuring him for the year again. This Schenn-caused catastrophe leads the Blues to put up the worst season in their history. HFboards collectively loses their minds when on lottery night it is revealed that the 2019 President's trophy winning Flyers, led by sophomore sensation Nolan Patrick and Norris candidate Ivan Provorov, are awarded the top pick in that years draft.

What? It could happen...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, I've been confused about that part of the condition. Can the Blues defer the pick to 2020 if it's both a top ten pick in 2018 & 2019? I've seen that listed as a condition in some places but not others.

If they can't defer to 2020, just think of it: the Blues hand Schenn the first line center spot. On his very first preseason shift, he accidentally runs right into Tarasenko, injuring him for the year. The Blues are devastated and finish out of the playoffs and with the # 10 pick in hand, choose to defer to 2019. In Sept. 2018, the Blues, having learned their lesson or so they thought, decide against letting Schenn on the ice at the same time with Tarasenko and suit him up at RW on the second line. On his very first shift of preseason, he accidentally runs into Pietrangelo, injuring him for the year. On the way back to the bench, a deeply ashamed Brayden Schenn isn't paying attention and accidentally runs into Tarasenko who is just jumping off the bench, injuring him for the year again. This Schenn-caused catastrophe leads the Blues to put up the worst season in their history. HFboards collectively loses their minds when on lottery night it is revealed that the 2019 President's trophy winning Flyers, led by sophomore sensation Nolan Patrick and Norris candidate Ivan Provorov, are awarded the top pick in that years draft.

What? It could happen...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is quality :yo:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Chris Nichols†@NicholsOnHockey 10m10 minutes ago

Dreger: "I know that Montreal was one of the teams in on Brayden Schenn, but the cost was too much." #Habs #Flyers #stlblues 690

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Jonesy on WIP this morning, they spoke about the Schenn trade for a second. Jonesy ripped Schenn, saying his hockey IQ is lower than Herrera's batting average and that the organization tried everything to "unlock" his talent, but couldn't. Moved him around the lineup, put him on the 1st line, tried him @ 2C, then got forced to wing. Also took a shot at him for how he only scores on the power play, and some pretty awful players have more even strength goals than him. It was pretty good rip and Jonesy wasn't trolling, he was a little annoyed maybe at Angelo ripping the trade (Angelo was clearly being hyperbolic though) and said these things rather forcefully.

Apparently, I'm not alone in thinking Schenn is a blockhead.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not sure I have every heard someone say Schenn is smart or has a high hockey IQ. So no, you are not alone. In fact you are in a roomful of people who all think that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought Schenn was fine, as a RW.

Problem was he and the team thought he was a center, which is a mistake, he's neither a playmaker nor a good enough skater to be a two way centerman like Couts and Patrick.

As a goal scoring RW who brings physical play he's a solid player, but it's hard to argue with 2 1st rd picks for a guy who's replaceable. Trading Schenn allows Konency to move to RW, to be replaced by Lindblom, which makes it a wash. I think Lindblom will be a better winger than Schenn in two years.

I also think that Weise finally getting comfortable was an influence on this trade, Weise has been a 25 point ES guy when he plays with the right linemates (29, 21 ES points before last season).

Schenn has averaged 13-18 31 at ES.
So Hextall probably thought he wouldn't take an ES hit trading Schenn, and that he had options on the PP to replace his scoring.

Lindblom - G - Simmons
Weise - Couts - Voracek
Filpulla - Patrick - Konency
Laughton - Lehtera - Raffl/Read
or switch Weise and Raffl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad