Player Discussion: Brayden Point - Part 3

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
For anyone who hates tax arguments and wants to have some VERY ROUGH number's to use to refute stupidity, here you go:

Desmos graph

Free Income Tax Calculator - Estimate Your Taxes | SmartAsset

This will give you a rough ballpark of what constitutes an equivalent take home in different tax jurisdictions. I wouldn’t use it in a real debate, but it gives you a starting point and a ballpark number. And it’s certainly closer to the mark then just using the local tax rates and applying it to all 82 games

And before anyone complains, no I am not going to go into excel and check different cities and get a more robust number, this is just a way to make it easy and fast to compare.

ps. can hockey start so I can waste time watching that instead of on here :naughty::nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I don't think 1.8m is a cave when Point could easily be asking for 10. 7.5 might well be the middle ground. I just have a hard time believing all these RFAs are gonna sign for 8-10 and then our guy's gonna come in under 7.

I mean, yeah, it's a bridge, but we've never seen a player with this kind of resume bridged, so far as I can remember. So it's gonna be an expensive one.
The definition of bridge deal implies that the player doesn't get "fully paid" and will be well remunerated in his next contract.
So, no, if it's a bridge it's not gonna be 7+. And I don't see how or why BriseBois would allow that. It's already training camp and his best offer was 5.7? He's definitely not gonna go over 7 now in a couple of days.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Really wish some news would break.
I'm afraid this will go all the way to the wire and maybe even a little beyond. Sounds like JBB wants to pay as little as possible and has probably upped his offer a bit from 5.7 mil. I don't think Point will take less than 7.5, seeing how there is cap space available.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The definition of bridge deal implies that the player doesn't get "fully paid" and will be well remunerated in his next contract.
So, no, if it's a bridge it's not gonna be 7+. And I don't see how or why BriseBois would allow that. It's already training camp and his best offer was 5.7? He's definitely not gonna go over 7 now in a couple of days.
Uh huh. Because 7+ isn't fully paying for a guy who put up 90 points and, over the past 2 seasons, 73 goals.

Nobody with that kind of resume has ever been bridged. Because normally they wouldn't accept it.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Uh huh. Because 7+ isn't fully paying for a guy who put up 90 points and, over the past 2 seasons, 73 goals.

Nobody with that kind of resume has ever been bridged. Because normally they wouldn't accept it.
I guess it would depend on what his next contract would cost. If they feel like they wouldnt be able to afford the appropriate % increase because they gave him 7+ on his bridge then maybe they wont do it.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I wonder if Point would take Aho-like contract. 8.4(or whatever cap space is available) x 5.
Also, could some extra cap space be made available involving Ruuta and Witkowski?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I guess it would depend on what his next contract would cost. If they feel like they wouldnt be able to afford the appropriate % increase because they gave him 7+ on his bridge then maybe they wont do it.

I don't think there's an appropriate % increase. Stamkos got an extra million dollars on his payday contract. We'll give him an appropriate percentage of cap--somewhere around 11% of whatever the cap is in 2022, most likely. Less than Stamkos and Kuch at the time of their signing, but it will equal out to more dollars. It's just a benefit of being born later in a hockey world where the salary cap rises.

We're also on pace for the new TV deal, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the same year. So the cap could go up dramatically. These aren't bad points to emphasize in the current negotiations. Taking a bridge deal ensures Point becomes the richest Lightning player in franchise history down the road.

Point's gonna get his big payday, it's just a matter of when. I hope JBB fights for every nickel, but that doesn't mean upwards of 7m isn't fair on a bridge deal for Point. Again, we've never seen a bridge deal, unless I'm forgetting someone, for a player who has a 90 point season in the bank so it's pretty hard to find a comparable.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if Point would take Aho-like contract. 8.4(or whatever cap space is available) x 5.
Also, could some extra cap space be made available involving Ruuta and Witkowski?

He'd probably take it, but I think JBB is gonna fight against it to keep his next contract RFA.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He'd probably take it, but I think JBB is gonna fight against it to keep his next contract RFA.
Well, something's gotta give. AAV or UFA years. 3-year bridge would be ideal but, I can see a big but from Point's angle.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, something's gotta give. AAV or UFA years. 3-year bridge would be ideal but, I can see a big but from Point's angle.

Me too. I think that's exactly the contract Point is likely asking for. And it's a totally fair deal, and probably a discount, especially when you consider what Marner just signed. I just don't see JBB giving it to him. We probably see the holdout go into the regular season if Point sticks to 5 years. Honestly, I don't think it'd be the end of the world to give it to him. I just think JBB and Yzerman were built in the same factory, and they are programmed to sign their players to bridge deals.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Me too. I think that's exactly the contract Point is likely asking for. And it's a totally fair deal, and probably a discount, especially when you consider what Marner just signed. I just don't see JBB giving it to him. We probably see the holdout go into the regular season if Point sticks to 5 years. Honestly, I don't think it'd be the end of the world to give it to him. I just think JBB and Yzerman were built in the same factory, and they are programmed to sign their players to bridge deals.
Hopefully both sides don't end up being intransigent; a lengthy holdout is in no one's interest.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hopefully both sides don't end up being intransigent; a lengthy holdout is in no one's interest.

Yeah, agreed. But I doubt it comes to that. I think Point wants to play. But it has to be at a number he can at least justify vs. his RFA peers, most of whom, if not all, he's better than.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad