Kings News: Brayden McNabb + Jonathan Parker + Two 2nd's to LA for Fasching + Deslaurier ‎

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If The Kings Wanted to trade Gravel, yes he would net a better package.

Doubt it. The kid hasn't even played a single game at an AHL level. I think you're falling too much in love with your own assessment that he will be another Scuds. Heck, if you think he'll be a Scuds, then McNabb will be a Pronger.

Pronger>>>Scuds.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Doubt it. The kid hasn't even played a single game at an AHL level. I think you're falling too much in love with your own assessment that he will be another Scuds. Heck, if you think he'll be a Scuds, then McNabb will be a Pronger.

Pronger>>>Scuds.

I think Gravel will be better than Scuds. Will make the NHL at a much younger age as well.

Also I don't fall in love with prospects, If the Kings dealt Gravel at the draft. I wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

They would receive a very nice package for him.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So let's assume this for next year...

Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez and Regehr are the locks because of contracts. That makes 5. Kings need 2 more D.

McNabb, since he will have to pass waivers will be #6. So do the Kings let both Mitchell and Greene go and sign a #7 utility guy? Or do they re-sign one, put McNabb in and rotate a guy like Martinez in and out...

I just don't see the Kings making McNabb a healthy scratch and I don't see Greene or Mitchell re-signing knowing they are in the #6-#7 role occasionally playing.

Honestly, I think Dean's Plan A is to sign a UFA, probably Orpik is his #1 target.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'll answer 63 and the others who have asked me about the return here if that's cool.

We didn't only get McNabb so the question is moot. We also received 2 2nd round picks and an AHL fodder forward so we haven't any real way of quantifying the value of McNabb based solely on the amount given to bring him to the team.

Here is a better way of asking the question, do I see Gravel being the caliber of player who could replace McNabb in a similar deal? Absolutely yes. Gravel is just that special of a player. His hockey I.Q. is through the roof and he plays a smart physical game. He also has solid O skills, nothing that will make him an NHL two way Dman but that isn't his forte anyways. He makes an excellent 1st pass and never panic's with the puck. He is unquestionably a top end Dprospect. The only reason he isn't at the top of everyone in the worlds prospect list is that he doesn't put up a ton of points (no slouch but again, his focus is exceptional D play and smart O in that order).

He may net get the press but ask anyone who scouts the NCAA who their top SAH D is and more often than not they are going to say it is Kevin Gravel. Like DD A Mart Voynov Muzzin to name a few our scouts knew exactly who they were getting when they took KG and while we offered him the chance to leave STC the past two years he has decided to stay and honor his commitment.

Like I said before, in time the reasons why I and a few others have been so high on this kid is because he is the real deal. A very very good SAH Dman who plays a way above average smart game and likes to mix it up a bit too.

McNabb is a very very solid young player and I have raved about him both during his draft year and yesterday when we picked him up. I am very happy he is a King and he is going to be in time a good one too, I just see Gravel as being better at what he does today, at this stage in his career compared to what McNabb did at the same point. Nothing against either of them and in fact I can only think of very positive things to say about either of them.

It is a great life/time/day to be a Kings fan for sure.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
God I hope not. His foot speed is terrible now and is getting burned a lot from the games I've watched

Yeah, but Dean seems to like Orpik. It's all speculation, but Mitchell and/or Greene have to be replaced at some point. I don't think Dean is going to count on McNabb to do that.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I'll answer 63 and the others who have asked me about the return here if that's cool.

We didn't only get McNabb so the question is moot. We also received 2 2nd round picks and an AHL fodder forward so we haven't any real way of quantifying the value of McNabb based solely on the amount given to bring him to the team.

Here is a better way of asking the question, do I see Gravel being the caliber of player who could replace McNabb in a similar deal? Absolutely yes. Gravel is just that special of a player. His hockey I.Q. is through the roof and he plays a smart physical game. He also has solid O skills, nothing that will make him an NHL two way Dman but that isn't his forte anyways. He makes an excellent 1st pass and never panic's with the puck. He is unquestionably a top end Dprospect. The only reason he isn't at the top of everyone in the worlds prospect list is that he doesn't put up a ton of points (no slouch but again, his focus is exceptional D play and smart O in that order).

He may net get the press but ask anyone who scouts the NCAA who their top SAH D is and more often than not they are going to say it is Kevin Gravel. Like DD A Mart Voynov Muzzin to name a few our scouts knew exactly who they were getting when they took KG and while we offered him the chance to leave STC the past two years he has decided to stay and honor his commitment.

Like I said before, in time the reasons why I and a few others have been so high on this kid is because he is the real deal. A very very good SAH Dman who plays a way above average smart game and likes to mix it up a bit too.

McNabb is a very very solid young player and I have raved about him both during his draft year and yesterday when we picked him up. I am very happy he is a King and he is going to be in time a good one too, I just see Gravel as being better at what he does today, at this stage in his career compared to what McNabb did at the same point. Nothing against either of them and in fact I can only think of very positive things to say about either of them.

It is a great life/time/day to be a Kings fan for sure.

Thank you, for this explanation.
I would like to solicit your opinion about hypothetical changes to this deal.
Let’s imagine that three parts were not included in this deal (ND, one second round draft pick and AHL fodder).
Would you like this more or less?
In my opinion ND is more valuable than second round draft pick and AHL fodder.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Thank you, for this explanation.
I would like to solicit your opinion about hypothetical changes to this deal.
Let’s imagine that three parts were not included in this deal (ND, one second round draft pick and AHL fodder).
Would you like this more or less?
In my opinion ND is more valuable than second round draft pick and AHL fodder.

I agree entirely. NickD is worth more to me then the 2nd pick and or soon to be waived pick up (end of season he is a gonner).

So the deal then becomes Hudson for McNabb and a 2nd, hmmmmm. I don't think the Sabres make that deal. I would have if I were them but that's me. I think they valued Nick and targeted him as part of the package. Just my opinion but I have reached out and if I hear otherwise I will post it.

I think the deal had to go down the way it did in order for it to happen. McNabb has been on our wish list and we paid heavy to get him but the two seconds back balances the deal about right to me. It was a good hockey trade for both teams. On paper anyways.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Didn't see this posted. Philaster linked to this article about our new prospect, Jonathan Parker, in the comments section of JewelsfromtheCrown.

Steven Parker, parent of Sabres prospect Jonathan, was the 'ultimate hockey dad'

Parker, a 21 year-old from Solona Beach, Calif., is entering his third season with the Buffalo Sabres organization, playing for the AHL's Rochester Americans. This year will be vastly different for the younger Parker, however, as for the first time in his life, his father won't be there to support him and watch him play the game he loves. That's because the elder Parker died of cancer last Thursday after a three-year battle with the disease.

"Growing up, trying to play hockey and progress to the higher levels is very tough in California. It requires a lot of time, travel and money. My father raised my sister and me by himself and worked full-time. He had to sacrifice a lot for me to get to where I am now. He kept me on the right direction, always pushed me harder than I thought I could go and always had my back. He was the ultimate hockey dad."

With cancer getting the best of his father, Jonathan Parker's family situation worsened. His sister, Charlene, had a devastating ankle injury that complicated the family's issues.

"My sister completely shattered her ankle a couple years back. She's had to get multiple surgeries and to this day she has trouble walking and doing daily activities. She quit her job and school to come home six months ago to take care of my dad. I didn't realize how much work it was and what she went through until I came home after the season to help. She put [off] her life and potential surgery to be able to live a healthier life to take care of my dad."

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I love heart warming stories.

Having said that, Jonathan Parker should get his dad and maybe even his sister some cannabis. And no, I'm not joking.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
So let's assume this for next year...

Doughty, Voynov, Muzzin, Martinez and Regehr are the locks because of contracts. That makes 5. Kings need 2 more D.

McNabb, since he will have to pass waivers will be #6. So do the Kings let both Mitchell and Greene go and sign a #7 utility guy? Or do they re-sign one, put McNabb in and rotate a guy like Martinez in and out...

I just don't see the Kings making McNabb a healthy scratch and I don't see Greene or Mitchell re-signing knowing they are in the #6-#7 role occasionally playing.

DL mentioned that talks with Greene and Mitchell were harder because of the weaker CDN dollar. He let out that the cap now might only be 68M vs the 71M they announced in Dec. So I think this is a nice safety net to have a player on a cheap contract that is NHL ready even if he is not what he would be replacing. It gets us under the cap.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I agree entirely. NickD is worth more to me then the 2nd pick and or soon to be waived pick up (end of season he is a gonner).

So the deal then becomes Hudson for McNabb and a 2nd, hmmmmm. I don't think the Sabres make that deal. I would have if I were them but that's me. I think they valued Nick and targeted him as part of the package. Just my opinion but I have reached out and if I hear otherwise I will post it.

I think the deal had to go down the way it did in order for it to happen. McNabb has been on our wish list and we paid heavy to get him but the two seconds back balances the deal about right to me. It was a good hockey trade for both teams. On paper anyways.

Thank you

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I would like this deal more if Deslauriers was not part of it and we received only one 2nd round pick.
Deslauriers will be ready for NHL next year…

Let's say he is ready (and I'll debate that, but for the hypothetical let's just assume he is) where do you slot him?

So, you think in a trade, Gravel would have netted us more in return than McNabb did?

What did McNabb net us? I think everyone here will agree that Fasching is the better of the two guys (value speaking) we sent to Buffalo, so what did McNabb really cost? NickD and a 3rd, give or take? If so, yes, I think Gravel could fetch that quite easily.

Des should be an nhler by next year. I have no idea how anyone can think that this kid can't make it to the nhl. To me, it's a no-brainer that this kid makes it. So much heart, size, grit and he can actually skate and score. It's a slam dunk!

All tools, no toolbox.

Can he play in the NHL? Sure. Can he be anything better than a 3rd/4th line guy? I have my doubts. Brian Boyle met the same description you gave (he had a 31 goal season in manchester) and how has he panned out? He had a 21 goal season which was largely the result of scoring like 10 goals in a 15 game stretch and other than that he's been a 3rd/4th line banger. He may get five goals and 20 points this season.

If Deslauriers does that, sure he's playing in the NHl but is he a big loss? Not in the least.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Sabres just called up Deslauriers, if you guys were interested.

Thanks! Here's hoping he does well for you guys. Having been through the Kings being where Buffalo is now, I wish you guys all the best and many goals from Deslauriers and Fasching.

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
Sabres just called up Deslauriers, if you guys were interested.

Nice keep us posted! Buff is rebuilding the right way, it's actually exciting if you burn it all down and let the kids play. It's those just missing the playoffs years that really suck, GL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad