Confirmed with Link: Bratt signs (2 x $2.75)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah long term for the team this isn't a good deal. Takes him right to arbitration.

Assuming he performs, his agent is going to be able to force the team to pay up big time for him.

I assume that was what the hold up was. Team wanted longer term but wouldn't give him the dollar amount to go with it and his agent held out.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah long term for the team this isn't a good deal. Takes him right to arbitration.

Assuming he performs, his agent is going to be able to force the team to pay up big time for him.

I assume that was what the hold up was. Team wanted longer term but wouldn't give him the dollar amount to go with it and his agent held out.
Other teams didn’t hand out long term deals going into UFA years with young RFAs either. I could see Fitz wanting 3 years pretty badly, Bratt has arbitration rights with both his last two RFA years, so this was likely about a failed attempt at a three year deal.

I don’t see an obvious desirable long term deal here. How many years and what AAV are people proposing here? Bratt might not be as expensive as people think in two years and he’s actually not someone I would give a massive deal to. I would preferred a three year version of this deal, apparently Fitz would have too, but this is what it took.

Reactions: My3Sons

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Bratt will have arbitration rights but we can worry about that later, he’s signed and he’ll still be an RFA.

Evolving hockey has two years at 2.51m but 2.75m seems about as cheap as it really was going to get.
CapFriendly doesn't say he has arbitration rights yet. Maybe they're still doing the math?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
CapFriendly doesn't say he has arbitration rights yet. Maybe they're still doing the math?
He didn’t now. Bratt will have arbitration rights after this contract. People are already worried about future negotiations.

Cap Friendly even tells you with the little brown hammer symbol when an RFA gets arbitration rights. (Which I assume you saw but pointing out for everyone for reference.)

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So why exactly did this holdout last so damn long if Fitz was just gonna give in at the end anyway? Might as well have given him the two-year deal three weeks ago, at least he wouldn't have had to miss the entirety of camp plus multiple games.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So why exactly did this holdout last so damn long if Fitz was just gonna give in at the end anyway? Might as well have given him the two-year deal three weeks ago, at least he wouldn't have had to miss the entirety of camp plus multiple games.

I do not understand how you can ascertain from what transpired that this is what happened. How in the world do you know that this is what happened?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do not understand how you can ascertain from what transpired that this is what happened. How in the world do you know that this is what happened?

You guys are the ones pointing out this deal is bad cause it takes Bratt to his arb years and he has a higher salary at the back end before arb to boot, this obviously wasn't what Fitz wanted unless he's that down on Bratt he wasn't convinced he'd be worth a long-term deal.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
So many possibilities here its almost pointless to speculate.

Maybe Fitz didnt want him long term but Bratt did, maybe it was the other way around, Maybe Bratt's camp was asking for 3.2 and Fitz was looking for something closed to 2.4 and they eventually came to the middle. Maybe the number was ok but the years was the debate.

Maybe Fitz is the one who got what he wanted more then Bratt. So much go into this stuff that unless someone just comes out and says how it went down you we cant possibly know what happened during the negotiations.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
He didn’t now. Bratt will have arbitration rights after this contract. People are already worried about future negotiations.

Cap Friendly even tells you with the little brown hammer symbol when an RFA gets arbitration rights. (Which I assume you saw but pointing out for everyone for reference.)

For some reason they are not showing the gavel in his RFA symbol, but I'm not sure why, I'm almost 100% sure he's arbitration eligible after this season.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Isn't arbitration after 4 years in the NHL? he would have been eligible after this season, so you could say that Fitz did "buy" one year of arbitration.

We're all just speculating here, but my guess is that Bratt wanted significantly more than what Fitz was offering at every contract length, and Fitz never budged, so Bratt gave up and signed the shortest deal. If that is indeed what went down, Bratt will wring every nickel he can from the team on every contract from here on out.

I'm sorry, it's f***ing stupid that he's making what Miles Wood makes. It's f***ing stupid.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
For some reason they are not showing the gavel in his RFA symbol, but I'm not sure why, I'm almost 100% sure he's arbitration eligible after this season.
I see it on Bratt’s page above his contract. It looks like you’re correct about the year but it won’t matter until the contract is over in two years.

E2F02597-F8E6-43FA-B8EA-4CF7E8717D08.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You guys are the ones pointing out this deal is bad cause it takes Bratt to his arb years and he has a higher salary at the back end before arb to boot, this obviously wasn't what Fitz wanted unless he's that down on Bratt he wasn't convinced he'd be worth a long-term deal.

As a GM, you always have to have the bridge deal on the table as a worst-case scenario.

Bratt is always going to be arb-eligible at the end of this deal because arbitration eligibility comes after 4 saesons.

The higher salary on the back end is absolutely not a concern, if Bratt isn't worth more than that at the end of the contract that's his fault and not Fitzgerald's.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
As a GM, you always have to have the bridge deal on the table as a worst-case scenario.

Bratt is always going to be arb-eligible at the end of this deal because arbitration eligibility comes after 4 saesons.

The higher salary on the back end is absolutely not a concern, if Bratt isn't worth more than that at the end of the contract that's his fault and not Fitzgerald's.

And just to be clear, the higher second year does not impact his qualifying offer. That changed, it's now based on the AAV of the contract.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

What deal kind of long term deal did want him to get and which comparable players got a similar deal? I’m only seeing shorter for RFAs like him right now so either GMs are failing all over the place or this the market.

I don’t know if three years thing is a solid rumor or I’m assuming it because I agree with it. Who knows, maybe we’ll learn a bit more after the dust settles.

The only RFAs I’ve heard that GMs were trying to lock long term were Dubois, who turned down a 8 year deal, and Barzal, who was likely proved too expensive for the NYI’s cap right now. Locking up a 1C is a different kettle of fish though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad