Brantford Bulldogs 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
The other day during the online broadcast against Kitchener, Reed and Troy didn’t even say his name when they said who all was scratched and talked about them. I just went on the OHL website to look at the pre-season roster and he isn’t listed. I’m beginning to wonder if he’s not returning, which if that’s the case, we have an open OA slot.

They need to figure out the goaltending situation. IMO Egorov needs to play ~25 games. That can't happen if they keep 3 goalies.

I am always of the mind that unless you are a contender, and the goalie is elite, you never use an OA spot on a goalie.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
They need to figure out the goaltending situation. IMO Egorov needs to play ~25 games. That can't happen if they keep 3 goalies.

I am always of the mind that unless you are a contender, and the goalie is elite, you never use an OA spot on a goalie.
I fully agree about Egorov. He needs OHL starts. He’s a good goalie but needs the experience to get comfortable at this level. I’d like to see him as the backup, even if they start him with the Kiltby B’s for a little bit and then call him up.

That leaves Drobac and Malboeuf. I’d be okay with the tandem to start but I think Egorov shouis be the #2 goalie by around November. Normally I’d suggest promoting the backup (Malboeuf in this case), because of the OA slots as you suggested, but in this case I’d keep Drobac. He’s just more consistent and I feel he can help win more games.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Good win tonight. That’s the most complete Bulldogs lineup we’ve seen so far this preseason.

A few individual notes:
Solid game for Egorov. That’s the most comfortable he’s looked at this level, which is exactly what he needed. 29/32 I believe and the Rangers had some quality chances.

Vanacker has been looking really good so far. If he keeps up how he’s been playing, he could have a breakout season.

Okitundu seems to be playing with more of a chip on his shoulder between whistles. Loved this addition since the Bulldogs acquired him.

Tsherna has showed he’s not afraid to jump in on scrums or stand up for teammates. Don’t know anything about his game, but it speaks volumes when a 16 year old jumps in to stand up for teammates without hesitation.

Unless I missed something, it appeared Sherk didn’t play the latter half of the game. Not sure if he got injured but hopefully he’s fine.

Reactions: Jawk

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Little interesting side note, I've heard from a reliable source that some of the kids are still billeted in Hamilton if they are able to drive themselves to Brantford, but as soon as,

1. They say they don't like the drive, or
2. They are late

The team finds a Brantford billet for them.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Cheering for Brantford. Havent been to Brantford since the Flint Bulldogs played the Brantford Smoke.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Haven't followed the team that much throughout camp.

It looks like VanAcker might have learned how to score. If he has, he could have a big year.

Any idea on what the projected lines might look like?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Just based on preseason lines, I’m guessing the lines will look something like the last game, which were:

Lardis - Sherk - O’Brien
Vanacker - Thomas - Brown
Xhekaj - Bujold - Rebelo
O’Keefe - Wray - Tsherna

Donovan - Moore
Van Vliet - Chen
Cheynowski - Okitundu

Egorov
Drobac

I’m just spitballing but I’d go with something along these lines:

Vanacker - Thomas - Lardis
Xhekaj - Sherk - Brown
Rebelo - Bujold - O’Brien
Nelson - O’Keefe - Tsherna
Wray

Van Vliet - Donovan
Chen - Moore
Cheynowski - Okitundu
Roberts

Drobac
Egorov

I was a bit torn between figuring out Nelson, O’Keefe, and Wray. I’m also not 100% sure of who can play which side since a few guys and play C and wing or LW and RW. Also not if Chen plays LD but I wanted to keep the others fairly consistent.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I didn't keep up to date on everything. Reading this I ask. Was Hamilton given the opportunity to play at home this year and chose not to? Are there renovations going on currently that will stop in December allowing lacrosse to be played?

Reactions: Roadhog

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto

I didn't keep up to date on everything. Reading this I ask. Was Hamilton given the opportunity to play at home this year and chose not to? Are there renovations going on currently that will stop in December allowing lacrosse to be played?
I just saw the post on Facebook and now I'm wondering wtf is going on behind the scenes. This and the Cirque du Soleil show are intriguing.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

It’s been nearly half a year since the group tasked with modernizing FirstOntario Centre said things were just about ready to get going. The t’s were almost all crossed and the i’s were nearly all dotted at last. “We’re closer than we’ve ever been” were the exact words used.

Yet this week the city said it still hasn’t received any applications from the Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) or developer Oak View Group (OVG) to begin renovations.

It seems HUPEG doesn't even have the paperwork done at this point

Reactions: Roadhog

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

I think it’s safe to say the Bulldogs did not have the opportunity, or at least in time. The OHL and team needed a solidified location for next year, and the Rock are just announcing now that due to a timeline shift, they can play their season at the FOC. Take the timeline into account for Brantford Civic Centre renovations and move into consideration, and the team would have had to have a guarantee that they could remain at the FOC by at least April or earlier.

Edit: also factor in how Andlauer has been previously jerked around by the city and tenants were blindsided by the eviction. Even if there was a glimmer of hope that they could possibly stay but wouldn’t receive official word until August or September, I think it’s fair to expect Andlauer and the Bulldogs had to find a solution.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Just based on preseason lines, I’m guessing the lines will look something like the last game, which were:

Lardis - Sherk - O’Brien
Xhekaj - Bujold - Rebelo
O’Keefe - Wray - Tsherna

Donovan - Moore
Van Vliet - Chen
Cheynowski - Okitundu

Egorov
Drobac

Xhekaj - Sherk - Brown
Wray

Van Vliet - Donovan
Chen - Moore
Cheynowski - Okitundu
Roberts

Drobac
Egorov

I was a bit torn between figuring out Nelson, O’Keefe, and Wray. I’m also not 100% sure of who can play which side since a few guys and play C and wing or LW and RW. Also not if Chen plays LD but I wanted to keep the others fairly consistent.

I like your lineup better. They need Thomas playmaking abilities paired with Lardis.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021

I think it's been pretty obvious since the start that the new arena management group that is tasked with the renos has no interest in the Bulldogs (or the Badgers) playing in their arena. Unfortunately, the previous city council signed over all control to the management group.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

They were not, they were told the renos would be starting in December. The Mercanti's jerked the Bulldogs and Badgers around for reasons I still don't understand. Frankly, this is par for the course from these guys. They promised a new hotel in the core when they took over the convention center, still waiting on that one. That the new council has to go through hoops just to look at the deal is absurd in itself as well.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Lardis - Sherk - O’Brien
Xhekaj - Bujold - Rebelo
O’Keefe - Wray - Tsherna

Donovan - Moore
Van Vliet - Chen
Cheynowski - Okitundu

Egorov
Drobac

Xhekaj - Sherk - Brown
Wray

Van Vliet - Donovan
Chen - Moore
Cheynowski - Okitundu
Roberts

Drobac
Egorov

Nick Lardis needs to play right wing. He is more effective there. I think the main reason for his increase in goals when he was traded to Hamilton is that they moved him to right wing. He played mostly left wing in Peterborough as there was no room at right wing with Connor Lockhart and Chase Stillman ahead of him on the depth chart. I think his goal numbers were impacted because of it.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Nick Lardis needs to play right wing. He is more effective there. I think the main reason for his increase in goals when he was traded to Hamilton is that they moved him to right wing. He played mostly left wing in Peterborough as there was no room at right wing with Connor Lockhart and Chase Stillman ahead of him on the depth chart. I think his goal numbers were impacted because of it.
I completely agree. Sometimes he still gets put on the left but he seems more effect on the right, especially for the shot on the power play. When I made those lines, that’s where I started. Put the top player in the place where he would be most effective.

That’s interesting that he played on the left in Peterborough. I didn’t quite realize that, but it makes sense with the depth the Petes had.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Each year I try to follow along with Bulldogs gone to NHL Rookie Camps and ones who get an invite. As long as I didn’t miss anyone, 7 current players and 11 alumni are attending camps.

Current:
Cole Brown (New Jersey - drafted)
Jorian Donovan (Ottawa - drafted)
Nick Lardis (Chicago - drafted)
Lawson Sherk (Buffalo - invite)
Patrick Thomas (Washington - drafted)
Noah Van Vliet (Edmonton - invite)
Florian Xhekaj (Montreal - drafted)

Alumni:
Mark Duarte (Calgary - AHL signed)
Artem Grushnikov (Dallas - drafted)
Avery Hayes (Pittsburgh - AHL signed)
Logan Morrison (Seattle - FA signed)
Navrin Mutter (Nashville - FA signed)
Jan Mysak (Montreal - signed)
Sahil Panwar (NY Rangers - AHL signed)
Alex Pharand (Chicago - drafted)
Nathan Staios (Florida - FA signed)
Gavin White (Dallas - FA signed)
Ryan Winterton (Seattle - drafted)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Been following the rookie tournament in Buffalo online and Mysak and Hayes both had goals for their teams today. Donovan has also been playing well for Ottawa.

All games from the tournament in Buffalo are being streamed online free by the teams. Most are video only, but Buffalo announces theirs and Montreal provides a French broadcast. Haven’t been following Traverse City as much but I believe those are also streamed for free online.

Since Sherk was injured in the last Bulldogs preseason game, he’s at Buffalo’s camp but not playing.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
We still have an open OA spot and with Gill Shane missing could use some veteran experience. Any out there that would fit in with this group?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

The developer tasked with revamping Hamilton’s downtown arena expects the nearly $300-million project to wrap up by October 2025.

Oak View Group (OVG) offered city council that long-awaited update Wednesday for the planned transformation of FirstOntario Centre.
Work will begin early in 2024 focusing on a vast and empty concourse space, a phased approach that will allow the Toronto Rock lacrosse team to play out their season in their adopted Hamilton home rink, Pistore said.
But after that, OVG will shut the rest of the arena down for the bulk of the renovations with a goal of reopening in October 2025....

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Compared to original rendering of the exterior, the latest one doesn’t look nearly as exciting as the first one. It appears the city is getting being taken for a ride, considering the shenanigans that have been going on with HUPEG and the secret deal which current council have to jump through hoops to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad