Value of: Brandon Saad

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
4.5M cap hit for 2 more full seasons. 8M in salary owed. Turns 32 to start next season.

My stance is that the blues should try to unload any tradeable assets if they aren't part of the long term core. You can pretty much pencil him in for 20 goals every season. 25 on the year with the blues thus far. Hoping for futures only unless there is enough incentive coming back with another contract.

What teams would have interest?

Edit: Looks like he has a full NTC for next season and in 25-26 turns into 12 team no trade list.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He has struggled this year to provide secondary offense and is living off a high shooting percentage. What is the ask?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks need NHL talent, If Blues just look to move him for cap reasons the an offer of Sens 3rd + Hawks 2026 5th

Opens up 4.5M in cap room for Blues while giving Hawks an NHL talent to slot into lineup for next 2 years while we wait for kids (Nazar, Moore, Lardis) up front

But Blues could probably get better offer somewhere else for Saad

Reactions: Crow

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Hawks need NHL talent, If Blues just look to move him for cap reasons the an offer of Sens 3rd + Hawks 2026 5th

Opens up 4.5M in cap room for Blues while giving Hawks an NHL talent to slot into lineup for next 2 years while we wait for kids (Nazar, Moore, Lardis) up front

Yeah, if blues get similar offer from anybody else I'm sending him there, haha. But I'm petty.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
He has struggled this year to provide secondary offense and is living off a high shooting percentage. What is the ask?

The blues as a whole have struggled creating offense on the year. They are 26th in the league in goals for per game. Goaltending is the main reason we're in the playoff hunt.

Yeah, he's shooting 20% this season. 15%,22%,15%,15% are his previous 4 seasons. I'm selling him as a 20 goal scorer. If he were shooting 15% this year he'd have 18ish goals so still within reason of hitting 20 once again.

What's the offer? Would just want the best futures available.

I’d rather keep him for one more season while we wait for Dvorsky and Snuggerud to show up. I think it would be smart to keep his 20-25 goals in the lineup, especially now that Snuggy decided to stay at Minnesota.
You must be on team "re-tool" ;).

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
The blues as a whole have struggled creating offense on the year. They are 26th in the league in goals for per game. Goaltending is the main reason we're in the playoff hunt.

Yeah, he's shooting 20% this season. 15%,22%,15%,15% are his previous 4 seasons. I'm selling him as a 20 goal scorer. If he were shooting 15% this year he'd have 18ish goals so still within reason of hitting 20 once again.

What's the offer? Would just want the best futures available.

You must on team "re-tool" ;).

I am haha. I don’t think this team is as far off as others, especially with the salary cap jumping up again right at the same time we’re going to be bringing in highly touted prospects on ELC’s.

2 days ago you could’ve convinced me to move him this summer, but now we have one more middle 6 spot to fill, and I think he may have more suitors with just one year on his deal next summer.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Throughout his career most of his goals have come right around the net so I wouldn’t scoff at a high shooting percentage. This is without having seen the games though.

My offer wouldn’t be high enough. It just doesn’t make sense for a rebuilding team. I think you could get a 2nd for him if you retain a million.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Throughout his career most of his goals have come right around the net so I wouldn’t scoff at a high shooting percentage. This is without having seen the games though.

My offer wouldn’t be high enough. It just doesn’t make sense for a rebuilding team. I think you could get a 2nd for him if you retain a million.

If the blues are going to retain they may as well just keep him until the trade deadline or next, when they aren't eating as much salary and get a similar offer.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
i'd take him on the canucks for a mid round pick. we could use another top-6 winger, and i feel like his game could complement miller well.

cap hit to production is a bit questionable vs just promoting some of the younger guys like podkolzin into that ice time, but similar ufa options like bertuzzi or mantha will probably go for more dollar and term.

Crow

May 19, 2014
If the blues are going to retain they may as well just keep him until the trade deadline or next, when they aren't eating as much salary and get a similar offer.
Yeah his value will probably be much higher that way.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I am haha. I don’t think this team is as far off as others, especially with the salary cap jumping up again right at the same time we’re going to be bringing in highly touted prospects on ELC’s.

2 days ago you could’ve convinced me to move him this summer, but now we have one more middle 6 spot to fill, and I think he may have more suitors with just one year on his deal next summer.
You're still trading Buch right? not holding onto him for a "playoff run" are you?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most of Saad's career was close to around 50 points in his prime. 49 in 78 games for STL in 21/22. close to a 40 point pace the past 2 seasons. Probably what he's going to be as he gets older.

Veteran guy. If the Blues are just looking to shed the contract, probably can get like a 3rd for him. If a team that has been acquiring picks the past couple/few seasons, probably a fit to add him to give their kids someone to play with.

Would not go to a contender, more like a team looking to transition like Detroit this season did.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He’s got 25 goals. And has scored at least 20 all three years he’s been here. That’s kind of the definition of secondary scoring.

Not saying he’s worth a fortune. But he should be worth at least a third. Or a decent prospect plus a low pick.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't see the point in trading Saad (or Hayes Or Leddy) right now. We need to keep the younger players in leagues where they can progress, not forcing them into the NHL or having to turn around and sign another vet to play in a spot we already had filled because we wanted to push players out the door too soon.

When Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Bolduc, Dean, or any of the other prospects show they are ready, then we move the Vets. Not beforehand.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I don't see the point in trading Saad (or Hayes Or Leddy) right now. We need to keep the younger players in leagues where they can progress, not forcing them into the NHL or having to turn around and sign another vet to play in a spot we already had filled because we wanted to push players out the door too soon.

When Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Bolduc, Dean, or any of the other prospects show they are ready, then we move the Vets. Not beforehand.
Exactly. Some blues fans need to come to grips that this team isn’t being gutted. It’s not happening. Saad is the kind of transitional vet you need during the next few seasons while the NHL team will be meh and the best organizational prospects are ripening.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Exactly. Some blues fans need to come to grips that this team isn’t being gutted. It’s not happening. Saad is the kind of transitional vet you need during the next few seasons while the NHL team will be meh and the best organizational prospects are ripening.
I just don't get the point of chasing players out when the internal solutions are not ready yet.

You can easily do more harm than good forcing a player to play at a level of competition over his head a year or two early instead of playing at a level more in line of where he should be.

Or, you have to sign a player to play in the hole in the lineup that you just opened up because you were too eager to run the player out the door.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I really liked Saad on Chicago but he had the stoniest of stone hands.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

agreed. we have plenty of cap space and open roster spots right now. no need to just dump good players who can help us, as the franchise doesn't want to bottom out. the only caveat on our vets would be if someone wanted to pay up for one of the vets who won't still be contributing by time we are good. like i don't want to deal leddy, but if someone offered a 1st (or even high, high 2nd) i'd be inclined to do it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

It'll be funny to see the Hawks lose a 4th Saad trade.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
without retention, up to a 3rd plus maybe a long-shot prospect or late pick
with retention, maybe as much as a 2nd plus perhaps a mild sweetener

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
agreed. we have plenty of cap space and open roster spots right now. no need to just dump good players who can help us, as the franchise doesn't want to bottom out. the only caveat on our vets would be if someone wanted to pay up for one of the vets who won't still be contributing by time we are good. like i don't want to deal leddy, but if someone offered a 1st (or even high, high 2nd) i'd be inclined to do it.

Right, I see Saad as someone that can help the maturing of youngsters in a rebuild, along with Schenn.

So those are probably the vets we would like to keep around. I can definitely see Buch or maybe even Parayko get moved, since they would garner significant returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad