Speculation: Brandon Pirri

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Why isn't he garnering any league interest?
Personally I'd love him on the Canucks, but I don't understand why more teams aren't wanting him.

It looks like he will be getting no more than $1.5M on a 1 year deal so why isn't he a hot commodity?

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
At the trade deadline we thought that we could get at least a 3rd for him and we ended up with a 6th.

20 goal scorer, RFA

but he's just an awkward fit in the NHL.

He doesn't play defense, he's a poor skater. He isn't a good playmaker. He plays a very pre '04 lockout game in that he has a beam of a shot, but in today's NHL you can't just linger in the high slot and wait for the opportunity to snipe.

He doesn't have the legs to play in a teams top 6, he doesn't have the defense to play on a team's defensive third line. He doesn't have the offensive skill to carry an offensive third line. He's way to soft to play on a 4th line.

Basically, he needs a slow moving, playmaking center, and a speedier, defensively capable RW and to play on a third line that goes up against third pairing D-Men to be successful.

He'd be better served living the easy life in the Alps.

He'll be this year's Tyler Kennedy. PTO to a bad team that needs scoring, will be underwhelming, NLA/DEL by next year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He's been linked to the Oilers a couple times now, but who knows if that's still on the table. There's a lot of good players out there, and not a lot of salary/roster space

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Hudler, Wisniewski, Vrbata, Elias, Tanguay, Versteeg, Boyes, Pirri, Cullen, Vermette, Fleischmann, Fontaine, Kennedy, Russell, (in that order) all deserve NHL deals but money and age plays a factor. Most of these guys can be replaced internally by youth so no team wants to pay them multimillion dollar deals. However Hudler and pre-injury Wisniewski are top 6 and top 4 players that cannot be replaced very easily and should be paid multimillion dollar deals, id be shocked if both end up in Europe.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Hudler, Wisniewski, Vrbata, Elias, Tanguay, Versteeg, Boyes, Pirri, Cullen, Vermette, Fleischmann, Fontaine, Kennedy, Russell, (in that order) all deserve NHL deals but money and age plays a factor. Most of these guys can be replaced internally by youth so no team wants to pay them multimillion dollar deals. However Hudler and pre-injury Wisniewski are top 6 and top 4 players that cannot be replaced very easily and should be paid multimillion dollar deals, id be shocked if both end up in Europe.

Five of those players played for the Panthers recently!

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He cannot skate at the NHL level, or anywhere near it. Unreal shot though, just too predictable.

Could the Canucks get some NHL caliber play if we paired him with two good skating defensive players? IMHO I'd like to try him LW to Sutter Burrows to add a better scoring punch to that line than adding Hansen to their RW.
I'd go as high as 2 million if he'd agree to some power skating training until training camp. Canucks barely break even if Eriksson produces the same rate as first year Vrbata, so we still lack 20 goals or so to push us back into the Top15 of scoring and not 3rd worst.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Could the Canucks get some NHL caliber play if we paired him with two good skating defensive players? IMHO I'd like to try him LW to Sutter Burrows to add a better scoring punch to that line than adding Hansen to their RW.
I'd go as high as 2 million if he'd agree to some power skating training until training camp. Canucks barely break even if Eriksson produces the same rate as first year Vrbata, so we still lack 20 goals or so to push us back into the Top15 of scoring and not 3rd worst.

You'd be silly to go above $1.25mil per. Nobody should give this guy $2mil per unless it's one year and you desperately need an extra 10-12 goals a year. He has a decent shot and some nice shootout moves. That's about it unless he puts the work in to become a more defensive minded player.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Brandon Pirri should end up with a PTO before training camp starts. Weather he makes an NHL roster is a different story.
I also read a story a while back that the flyers may invite one player out of Jiri Hudler, Brandon Pirri and 1 other forward that I can't remember, to a PTO before training camp, if they are unsigned by any NHL team by September.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Burrows is not as fast as he used to be. Don't think he has the speed to compensate for pirri. Don't think he makes sense for the Canucks.

Mist of the forwards remaining don't help the Canucks roster. They need some more size, physicality, speed, scoring. Think anyone they add should fill out two if those needs. These guys seem to only fit one area, which isn't enough.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah. That'll fix it. I'm sure the idea has never occurred to him as a 25 year old professional hockey player to bother taking a couple months of "power skating training" to rectify a major deficiency in his game. :laugh:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hes probably good for 20 goals if he plays 82. He should definitely be on a team.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site

The Canucks already have Virtanen, Etem and Rodin that would do a better all round job at that position than Pirri. Alternately the Canucks could Jorden Subban up to play wing. All four Canuck players are above average in speed, hockey IQ and defensive awareness. Three important skills that Pirri seems to lack.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A lot of prospects are starting to eliminate jobs for guys like Pirri.

You need to be able to skate and play a 200 ft. game to make an NHL squad, and NHL teams are starting to press this more and more in their farm system.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah. That'll fix it. I'm sure the idea has never occurred to him as a 25 year old professional hockey player to bother taking a couple months of "power skating training" to rectify a major deficiency in his game. :laugh:

All he needs is a couple months of power skating and for someone to tell him to try hard and be good defensively, easy stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad