Rumor: Brandon Pirri is a "name to watch" in trade market

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
i assume the rangers main priority is to resign yandle, it won't come cheap, if they can't move girardi and/or staal and theyre kinda forced to possibly move nash for cap purposes we better be going hard after him. its not often top offensive wingers (the thing we umm.....kinda need) become available. if not him look at jvr or if eberle is available. i don't mind guys like vrbata, or iginla, or even skinner, i would still love to get one of ladd or boedker in free agency, but i just want a big stand alone impact player for once. the other guys are fine but we always needed that one guy capable of more and we never get it because we're too conservative and not aggressive enough to go after guys like that when they become available (which isnt often but you gotta be in the mix).

We don't know yet, Yandle is most definitely still playing for his next contract. I don't see them moving Nash.

We don't need Boedker.

Ladd is never a bad thing to have.

JVR and Eberle? No, we have Huberdeau.

Don't want Vrbata, Iggy, or Skinner. Their value is decreasing.

I wouldn't mind bringing Lucic and Byf together. That should put some lead in our pencils, let our skilled guys do their thing finally.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If we can get Byfuglien, we get him whenever it's possible. We're going to lose Kulikov either way by end of next year. He obviously more than makes up for losing Pirri's shot. If we are going to make a play for any UFA, he should be it. He can be put in front of the net when needed, we still don't have the Hayes replacement there yet either.

I'd like him to get a small taste of what it's like to be in South FL to make him feel like he wants more and would re-sign.
Teams rarely let young top4 d-men walk these days, let alone trade them for upcoming UFAs.

Then when you trade Kulikov, that hole needs to be plugged through UFA (we can't roll an entire d-core with righties, if Buf happens to sign here), which probably won't have an equal player to Kuli that's willing to sign here without a massive overpayment. So in the long run, that move will make us much worse, both cap wise and the d-core as a whole.

A couple of bad games is enough to make people forget last season..

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Skinner Hat trick the other night out in Cali, he would be leading our team in goals and is in the age group, he is the best option out there... injuries be damned

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Skinner Hat trick the other night out in Cali, he would be leading our team in goals and is in the age group, he is the best option out there... injuries be damned

People here always want a perfect player with no risk or negatives. They don't realize perfect players with no question marks don't really exist and anyone close would never get traded. People here this summer didn't want Patrick Kane because South Beach would ruin him!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Teams rarely let young top4 d-men walk these days, let alone trade them for upcoming UFAs.

Then when you trade Kulikov, that hole needs to be plugged through UFA (we can't roll an entire d-core with righties, if Buf happens to sign here), which probably won't have an equal player to Kuli that's willing to sign here without a massive overpayment. So in the long run, that move will make us much worse, both cap wise and the d-core as a whole.

A couple of bad games is enough to make people forget last season..

You don't think keeping Kulikov will take massive overpayment given what we have seen out of him?

We need to overpay a guy who can take over a game. Kulikov isn't that guy, Byfuglien is. I understand what you're saying, but to have Byfuglien, I'd trade any Dman not named Ekblad. I'd have a hard time parting with Guds too, but not too much of a hard time for Byfuglien.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
People here always want a perfect player with no risk or negatives. They don't realize perfect players with no question marks don't really exist and anyone close would never get traded. People here this summer didn't want Patrick Kane because South Beach would ruin him!

We might need to take a risk like this on a player indeed, not sure if DT will do that though. Bolland's contract is already a major anchor on the cap and a risk signing like Skinner would possibly put us in a total gridlock. But again, it might be time to take a risk like that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You don't think keeping Kulikov will take massive overpayment given what we have seen out of him?
Given that he's had issues with consistency, it might help the cause that he could take a hometown discount.

We need to overpay a guy who can take over a game. Kulikov isn't that guy, Byfuglien is. I understand what you're saying, but to have Byfuglien, I'd trade any Dman not named Ekblad. I'd have a hard time parting with Guds too, but not too much of a hard time for Byfuglien.
But we don't need to trade assets for him, if the connection between Tallon & him is as strong as implied. No matter how this season turns out to be, whether we make the playoffs or not, this team isn't one player away from winning the cup. This is still a building process for a young team, to get experience.

I'm just afraid of a couple of things:

- the term, Buf isn't going to be worth it 3-4 years into a 7 year deal
- the way he plays, his body is going to break down sooner than later
- past issues with effort/motivation, is that going to come back to haunt him in a market like this?

Yes, he'd improve the team right now, but the team isn't about right now. We aren't a perennial cup contender that is about to have their window closed, the Panthers "time" is still 3-4 (maybe even 5) years into the future. And by that time, Buf will just be another Kopecky/Upshall/Jovo/Kuba/Bolland.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
these guys are idiots.

No way we are sellers.

We are looking to add scorers not subtract.

Elliott is far from an idiot. One of the ONLY good things left on HNIC. You can believe what he says fully , he's up there with Bob now in Canada with Rogers communications running hockey now ugh. Cox on the other hand is a fraud.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
We don't know yet, Yandle is most definitely still playing for his next contract. I don't see them moving Nash.

We don't need Boedker.

Ladd is never a bad thing to have.

JVR and Eberle? No, we have Huberdeau.

Don't want Vrbata, Iggy, or Skinner. Their value is decreasing.

I wouldn't mind bringing Lucic and Byf together. That should put some lead in our pencils, let our skilled guys do their thing finally.

Huberdeau is EXACT opposite to Eberle/JVR types.
Replace Lucic name with Simmonds or BAckes.

Ladd won't leave WPG he re-signs I say.

Vrbata or Boedker would be ok I guess.
Iggy or lower than him would start to be stretching it and hoping for another Jagr Impact not solving the future plan part in Tallons speech.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yes, he'd improve the team right now, but the team isn't about right now. We aren't a perennial cup contender that is about to have their window closed, the Panthers "time" is still 3-4 (maybe even 5) years into the future. And by that time, Buf will just be another Kopecky/Upshall/Jovo/Kuba/Bolland.

The team should be contending right now if the core is worth it. Core group of Chicago, Pitts and LA were all contending when their group was around this age. Also, in 3-4 years, Luongo won't be here and we'll need a new goalie.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I don't think Eberle or JVR would have any better success. Huberdeau is good when he's able to be.

"when he's able to be"? whats that even supposed to mean?
jvr & eberle are scorers. hubey is.. well i don't even know anymore. some kind of playmaker i suppose.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
"when he's able to be"? whats that even supposed to mean?
jvr & eberle are scorers. hubey is.. well i don't even know anymore. some kind of playmaker i suppose.

It's far from a coincidence that every line he's been on for the past two years has been the best. He also led our team in points last year and very well may do it again this year.

EstConf96*

I think the main pattern on this board when it comes to discussing trading is the fact that we all are and some more to attached to our own players. What we have in common no matter what side you are on is that we all want this team to win and make playoffs.

With that said lets try to discuss trades with a outside prespective. Lets say we put Huberdeau under the magnifaying glas. Is it possible we could be a better team trading him in some kind of package in order to get that goal scorer we desperatly need?

Another one: Is Kulikov really part of the big picture? Can he be in a trade to fix the biggest need that of a goal scorer?

Remember just for fun since neither of us have any power anyway.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
I think the main pattern on this board when it comes to discussing trading is the fact that we all are and some more to attached to our own players. What we have in common no matter what side you are on is that we all want this team to win and make playoffs.

With that said lets try to discuss trades with a outside prespective. Lets say we put Huberdeau under the magnifaying glas. Is it possible we could be a better team trading him in some kind of package in order to get that goal scorer we desperatly need?

Another one: Is Kulikov really part of the big picture? Can he be in a trade to fix the biggest need that of a goal scorer?

Thanks for this.

I'd say with huberdeau the answer is definitely not significantly better so therefore, there's no need to make the trade.

As for Kuli, I don't think the return will justify us giving up our depth on defense, especially next year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Huberdeau is EXACT opposite to Eberle/JVR types.
Replace Lucic name with Simmonds or BAckes.

Ladd won't leave WPG he re-signs I say.

Vrbata or Boedker would be ok I guess.
Iggy or lower than him would start to be stretching it and hoping for another Jagr Impact not solving the future plan part in Tallons speech.

Rather Boedker over Vrbata. Id take any of the Lucic, Backes, and Simmons.
True on Ladd. He's capt. there.
Huberdeau IS what those two are. He just hasn't shown it.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Given that he's had issues with consistency, it might help the cause that he could take a hometown discount.

But we don't need to trade assets for him, if the connection between Tallon & him is as strong as implied. No matter how this season turns out to be, whether we make the playoffs or not, this team isn't one player away from winning the cup. This is still a building process for a young team, to get experience.

- past issues with effort/motivation, is that going to come back to haunt him in a market like this?

Disagree with all of it my dude.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Another one: Is Kulikov really and part of the big picture? Can he be in a trade to fix the biggest need that of a goal scorer?

I really believe our fanbase here is very logical on trade forum board for eg. I've read many other teams who have no clue of values outside their own team (a lot in fact who live up here with me).

In saying that I think Crouse/1st rd pick carry a bit more value to OTHER teams needs where Huberdeau is slightly more valuable to us at least in short term/playoff mandate era.

Kuli is valued by 2-8 teams who need him but not the rest. His value might not be worth moving plus I don't see him asking for moon in re-signing him. His numbers have always looked worse than the player he is which does not help his side in negotiations.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Rather Boedker over Vrbata. Id take any of the Lucic, Backes, and Simmons.
True on Ladd. He's capt. there.
Huberdeau IS what those two are. He just hasn't shown it.

He is not a goal scorer like those two. Opposite players. His shot is weak compared to those two

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

You are right on the mark Soupy with both issues. I think Kuli will face reality at some point on his value, but there just may be someone out there willing to outbid us. Which is fine by me.

Buf? What can you say. He would be another in a long line of guys that Tallon see's from their prime years, who would come here to pad his retirement. 7 year contract for a 30 year old guy who had trouble pushing himself away from the table at a young age? A suckers move, just like Bolland.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
You are right on the mark Soupy with both issues. I think Kuli will face reality at some point on his value, but there just may be someone out there willing to outbid us. Which is fine by me.

Buf? What can you say. He would be another in a long line of guys that Tallon see's from their prime years, who would come here to pad his retirement. 7 year contract for a 30 year old guy who had trouble pushing himself away from the table at a young age? A suckers move, just like Bolland.

The issue I have with signing or trading for Buf, even as a replacement for Campbell or Mitchell, is that he just doesn't address needs. Moving forward, we have Ekblad, Guds, Petrovic, and even Kampfer on the right side. I doubt he'd be another Bolland signing, but it's just a bad fit.

Related to this thread in general, I doubt Pirri is drawing the kind of interest worth getting excited about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad