Rumor: Brandon Pirri is a "name to watch" in trade market

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet said in a headline video today that Brandon Pirri is a "name to watch" meaning he could be on the trading block. Anyone think we deal him or will Tallon want to hold on to him? What could we get for him and what would we add?

Can he still be a 20+ goal scorer or is that impossible if teams continue to take away his time and space?

Here's the video:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I can't imagine he'll fetch much in a trade. Maybe some team looking to improve their powerplay while making their 5 on 5 worse will give him a look.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet said in a headline video today that Brandon Pirri is a "name to watch" meaning he could be on the trading block. Anyone think we deal him or will Tallon want to hold on to him? What could we get for him and what would we add?

Can he still be a 20+ goal scorer or is that impossible if teams continue to take away his time and space?

Here's the video:

these guys are idiots.

No way we are sellers.

We are looking to add scorers not subtract.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Best bet, a rebuilding team that has a spare mid6/bottom6 veteran. Otherwise I don't see much else for Pirri, wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up on waivers later on to the season.

these guys are idiots.

No way we are sellers.

We are looking to add scorers not subtract.
Pirri literally fits the term "addition by subtraction", he doesn't score nearly enough to turn a blind eye to his weaknesses.

The most worrying part about his game, is that when he got here after the trade in 2014, he had that passion that he wanted to score on every shift he was out there and it seriously looked like it, he was dangerous offensively nearly on every shift. Even with the two streaks (2014 early season before the Yandle hit & the one towards the end of the season) that he's had, I haven't seen that from Pirri anymore. He just sort of is there. Reminds me of Versteeg tbh.

And trading away one guy that doesn't fit the puzzle isn't "selling".

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Best bet, a rebuilding team that has a spare mid6/bottom6 veteran. Otherwise I don't see much else for Pirri, wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up on waivers later on to the season.

Pirri literally fits the term "addition by subtraction", he doesn't score nearly enough to turn a blind eye to his weaknesses.

The most worrying part about his game, is that when he got here after the trade in 2014, he had that passion that he wanted to score on every shift he was out there and it seriously looked like it, he was dangerous offensively nearly on every shift. Even with the two streaks (2014 early season before the Yandle hit & the one towards the end of the season) that he's had, I haven't seen that from Pirri anymore. He just sort of is there. Reminds me of Versteeg tbh.

And trading away one guy that doesn't fit the puzzle isn't "selling".

Pretty much. He's the definition of "addition by subtraction". Literally, just getting him off the team makes us better.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
This could work well for us.

Either he gets traded and we improve.

or

Light a fire under his ass. Wake the **** up Pirri. We need you. All hands on deck else this ship sinks.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we're not trading kulikov for a soon to be ufa. we can sign buff in the offseason, no way do we give up kulikov in a situation like that.

pirri + 2nd for vrbata or iginla are my guesses.
or he goes after ladd early and gets him now rather than waiting till the offseason to sign him (if it doesn't cost too much) or boedker for that matter.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Pirri is still hurting IMO from off-season back problems. Back problems just don't go away when the season starts. Pirri, team physician/Pirri physician make the decision whether or not they can play effectively before the season starts. Pirri and the physicians obviously thought they could make it through the season with his problem. Don't see anyone taking a flyer on a guy who just may need off season back surgery. Knight just started playing again from back surgery and it's my guess it's going to take him awhile to come around.

Tallon may be trying to Peddle him but it's probably for a 2nd rounder that they can couple with our draft pick to try and pick up Vrbata for the remainder of the year. He's another guy who is hot and cold. Desperate solution for a desperate man.

EstConf96*

I find it funny how some in here thinks Kulikov have some high trade value. He is a borderline top 6 player, not a very good one. If you want quality you have to trade quality.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I find it funny how some in here thinks Kulikov have some high trade value. He is a borderline top 6 player, not a very good one. If you want quality you have to trade quality.

He's a middle paring defenceman. He's not Petrovic.

EstConf96*

Yea but at least Backes isnt one dimensional thats for sure

At this point in time we need that one dimensional that can put in goals with concistency. We have plenty of the other kind. I hate to say it but we need some flash before two-way.

Type of player: Eberle

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Excuse my lack of effort in not quoting everyone I address, try and guess who.

One guy is (not) addressing me as some people (only guy who mentioned Kuli) and thinks I'm giving him value I'm not.

Two guys apparently wouldn't give Kulikov and Pirri for Byfuglien (maybe that who "some posters" must refer to cuz it ain't me). I should also mention they wouldn't give Pirri and Kulikov for Dustin Byfuglien. With a "hell no" to boot.

The fourth guy says we shouldn't go after Byfuglien because he's going to be a UFA, but going after another upcoming UFA with lesser value in Ladd is ok.

Is there a smiley for this situation? Oh yes. ":help:"

Apologies to the first guy, he must not have been talking about me lol

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i assume the rangers main priority is to resign yandle, it won't come cheap, if they can't move girardi and/or staal and theyre kinda forced to possibly move nash for cap purposes we better be going hard after him. its not often top offensive wingers (the thing we umm.....kinda need) become available. if not him look at jvr or if eberle is available. i don't mind guys like vrbata, or iginla, or even skinner, i would still love to get one of ladd or boedker in free agency, but i just want a big stand alone impact player for once. the other guys are fine but we always needed that one guy capable of more and we never get it because we're too conservative and not aggressive enough to go after guys like that when they become available (which isnt often but you gotta be in the mix).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Excuse my lack of effort in not quoting everyone I address, try and guess who.

One guy is (not) addressing me as some people (only guy who mentioned Kuli) and thinks I'm giving him value I'm not.

Two guys apparently wouldn't give Kulikov and Pirri for Byfuglien (maybe that who "some posters" must refer to cuz it ain't me). I should also mention they wouldn't give Pirri and Kulikov for Dustin Byfuglien. With a "hell no" to boot.

The fourth guy says we shouldn't go after Byfuglien because he's going to be a UFA, but going after another upcoming UFA with lesser value in Ladd is ok.

Is there a smiley for this situation? Oh yes. ":help:"

Apologies to the first guy, he must not have been talking about me lol

well i don't know what thats all about, but if I'm the bolded area then yea i think that trading important assets to us like kulikov just for an upcoming free agent doesn't make any sense, if its picks and prospects and/or pirri then its fine. thats why i said maybe tallon goes after ladd early because we were talking about getting offensive help on the wing, which he is, and it wouldnt cost us a kulikov to get him, most likely a 1st, or pirri + 2nd, but not something as impactful as kulikov. but then again it wouldnt cost kulikov to go after buff early either, its just the notion to do it doesn't make sense. theres no need to trade him just for someone we can wait till the offseason to sign and lose no assets. we can do the same thing for ladd and just wait, and i would prefer to just wait and not waste assets, if its pirri +2nd then thats fine, a 1st? ill pass and wait personally.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
well i don't know what thats all about, but if I'm the bolded area then yea i think that trading important assets to us like kulikov just for an upcoming free agent doesn't make any sense, if its picks and prospects and/or pirri then its fine. thats why i said maybe tallon goes after ladd early because we were talking about getting offensive help on the wing, which he is, and it wouldnt cost us a kulikov to get him, most likely a 1st, or pirri + 2nd, but not something as impactful as kulikov. but then again it wouldnt cost kulikov to go after buff early either, its just the notion to do it doesn't make sense. theres no need to trade him just for someone we can wait till the offseason to sign and lose no assets. we can do the same thing for ladd and just wait, and i would prefer to just wait and not waste assets, if its pirri +2nd then thats fine, a 1st? ill pass and wait personally.
Kuli will be a UFA after next year, and I for one wouldn't pay what he will want. He looked good against Washington but went back into a minus hockey IQ this last game. His latest history points to a guy who seems to understand his value is more in the defensive end than trying to be a puck moving defenseman. When he tries to be an offensive playmaker is when he goes into lala land. I personally doubt you will ever be able to get much in return for him other than a 2nd or 3rd plus an average scoring prospect in the AHL.

I think most of the talk around trades in our camp is baggage for draft picks. It's just talk at this point and I don't see anything in return coming our way of significance.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

If we can get Byfuglien, we get him whenever it's possible. We're going to lose Kulikov either way by end of next year. He obviously more than makes up for losing Pirri's shot. If we are going to make a play for any UFA, he should be it. He can be put in front of the net when needed, we still don't have the Hayes replacement there yet either.

I'd like him to get a small taste of what it's like to be in South FL to make him feel like he wants more and would re-sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad