Confirmed with Link: Brandon Mashinter for Tommy Grant a 2014 7th round pick

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Been mentioning this type of move in posts everywhere the past week.
This is the kind of help we needed in CT IMO.
Grant was going nowhere.
Do not know much about this Masher guy.
Here id his bio - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=84762
Both guys undrafted.
Anybody know the conditional terms for the 7th?

We will most likely bring in another fwd to the big club (signing/waivers), maybe also one more fwd with a decent skill set plus a functioning defender to CT.
Watch!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grant's numbers had improved this year and he seemed to be popular in the dressing--at least it seemed that every time some Hartford player was asked they'd mention him as one of the funniest guys on the team. OTOH whether Grant was ever going to make the Rangers was somewhat doubtful considering he's already 26. Mashinter should give not only McIlrath more space to develop but save Haley from fighting a lot of minor league heavyweights above his weight class. And he might even get some NHL time. This year's Deveaux--maybe even a better fighting Deveaux.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This year
  • We lost Prust and Dubinsky
  • Picked up Segal & Mashinter

YESTERDAY
Sather " Gordie - we need 2 Brandons in the organization. I like that name, has a nice kling to it. Reminds me of that marketing thing - branding? Remember that - 2 players. Now. And no more Wades..."
Clarke - "Um, OK. What about another John? You kinda liked that Mitchell fella that left us. And John adored him. Thought he was our future PP center ya know."
Sather: "John, I dunno about that. Reminds me by the way, gotta take a crapper...these damn oysters were no good"

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Grant's numbers had improved this year and he seemed to be popular in the dressing--at least it seemed that every time some Hartford player was asked they'd mention him as one of the funniest guys on the team. OTOH whether Grant was ever going to make the Rangers was somewhat doubtful considering he's already 26. Mashinter should give not only McIlrath more space to develop but save Haley from fighting a lot of minor league heavyweights above his weight class. And he might even get some NHL time. This year's Deveaux--maybe even a better fighting Deveaux.

spot on
see he is cheaper phase in for Rupp at some point, maybe, if the usual suspects are not ready/available

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
I legitimately wonder at times if Sather gets bored.

This was the first thing to cross my mind.

Wouldnt be surprised if this was a pick up as extra toughness (possible call-up if any injuries to our bottom line). I know I know this board is 50/50 on goons and fighting...

SupersonicMonkey*

AHL depth move.

Change of scenery for Mashinter, who was having a "down year".

22, 14, 16 are his goal totals from the last three years in the AHL.

Grant is two years older. And has not scored nearly as much as Mashinter.

Sather has a responsibility to his AHL club, too. Its not just about the Rangers.

Also would be curious to know if the Rangers save some money with this move as well.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Love the trade. Grant had no future as I stated earlier in the thread and at 26 he was too old to be a legitimate prospect.

Mashinter should have been in the NHL over a year ago and I bet he was a bit down on the fact that he hasn't taken that next step. Big guy who can skate and has pretty good hands and can also drop the gloves. Sounds a lot like Rupp, no?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers conditional trades are usually based on signing the player. Cap Geek has Mashinster as a UFA. He would be a group 6. The player needs to be at least 25,played 3 or more pro seasons and has not played 80 NHL games. Mashinster doesn't turn 25 until September so he will be a group II. Looks like if the Rangers qualify him,they give up a 7th. If they don't,they don't lose the pick.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If nothing else, we just made our prospect pool deepee by one project.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This is a great deal from the standpoint of not having to have McIlrath fight every G.D. tough guy in the AHL. It's more important for him to develop his game, not his fighting ability.

Thank god, the smarter posters were clamoring for the Rangers to get a guy to do the heavy lifting for DM. Someone in the organization realized what they did. DM has had enough injuries, no need to get injured fighting a minor league cement head, not even including the significant penalty time he loses. Smart move imo.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I understand the thought process behind trading Grant for Mashinter but he was on waivers. The Rangers are well under the contract limit, why give up the pick? Are they worried about reaching that contract limit? With Redden being bought out that is another one free. Odd move unless they believe they are going to be adding ~3-4 contracts throughout the year.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I understand the thought process behind trading Grant for Mashinter but he was on waivers. The Rangers are well under the contract limit, why give up the pick? Are they worried about reaching that contract limit? With Redden being bought out that is another one free. Odd move unless they believe they are going to be adding ~3-4 contracts throughout the year.

Tells me they are going to sign one more player (fwd) for the NYR.
They are at 22 contracts on the team right now (24 with Sauer on LTIR and Segal is most likely a temporary callup). If Mashinter were to have been claimed on waivers he would have had to have been on the the NYR squad for one month. Once Segal goes down again they are back at 22.
Who is it that they are looking at?
Interesting...

Optimal IMO would be to sign/pickup on waivers a fwd depth guy, trade for Douglas Murray on D, sign Miles Bell (take a chance & try to restore the cupboard) and pickup a reliable AHL D on a minor league contract for CT. Then go with this until the deadline, maybe then bringing in a final piece and eventually then also adding Zuccarello if the PP does not click. We need a great PP in the playoffs if we make it there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm alright with this move. Deal a guy who likely had no future in the organization for a guy who can take the lighten the load on McIlrath in the short term when it comes to fighting. Guy might be able to work his way up as a 13th forward as well.

I think it just makes more sense to make a trade than claim a guy like this on waivers. Keeps your contract flexibility so we can add more bodies. More importantly, we don't have to send out any bodies at the trade deadline in order to bring in a rental or two to bolster the lineup. Our organizational depth isn't solid enough for us to be shipping off prospects for rentals.

Edit: Plus if we had claimed him off of waivers, we'd have to waive him again to get him to CT. Could lose him that way.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm alright with this move. Deal a guy who likely had no future in the organization for a guy who can take the lighten the load on McIlrath in the short term when it comes to fighting. Guy might be able to work his way up as a 13th forward as well.

I think it just makes more sense to make a trade than claim a guy like this on waivers. Keeps your contract flexibility so we can add more bodies. More importantly, we don't have to send out any bodies at the trade deadline in order to bring in a rental or two to bolster the lineup. Our organizational depth isn't solid enough for us to be shipping off prospects for rentals.

Edit: Plus if we had claimed him off of waivers, we'd have to waive him again to get him to CT. Could lose him that way.

That's a good point about having to waive him again.

I just wonder if they have someone else they are watching as far as picking up on waivers and if they want to keep some contracts available. Maybe they are watching the Pens d-men? Hard to figure out what teams still have players they need to waive.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Love the move. While I agree that it takes the load off of McIlrath, it really helps the team in HFD keep closer to the identity that the NYR organization are now.

Would love to see them take it a step further and acquire a Sena Acosta, one of the Beach brothers. Kyle might be a guy that can fill in the fourth line in the NHL on a team that plays the way the Rangers play. He doesn't fit in Chicago at all.

Having more guys with willingness allows the guys down in HFD to play their game knowing there'll be someone ready to step up every shift out there.

Tommy Grant played some decent hockey this season, I hope he has a pro hockey career ahead of him, NHL time or not, the guy can make a living playing a sport.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Not that impressed by looking at the "fight" vids..

I say he falls down to easy when punching, should work on staying on his feet..

I'll give him a chance though..

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's a good point about having to waive him again.

I just wonder if they have someone else they are watching as far as picking up on waivers and if they want to keep some contracts available. Maybe they are watching the Pens d-men? Hard to figure out what teams still have players they need to waive.

I think you're right. There are a few teams, Buffalo and Pittsburgh in particular, that are going to have to make some tough calls with their defensive group. Could be a few depth guys available on the wire this afternoon as I believe the Pens are finalizing their roster around 3PM. Not sure if that means all teams are adhering to that timeline.

I watched the Black and White scrimmage last night. CONSOL was packed with people. I think Depres is going to be sent back to the AHL. He's just full of boneheaded mistakes. So I believe that at least one of Lovejoy, Bortuzzo, and Strait will have to be cut. If last nights scrimmage is the deciding factor, I think Bortuzzo and Strait will stay. If Lovejoy is the guy to get cut, I don't think the Rangers will claim him. He's a #7 at best, and we have three of them on the roster already.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I like this pickup. I feel that Mashinter could turn into a solid 4th liner/3rd liner (if he reaches all his potential, unlikely though). Big strong guy and pretty young too. Nice one Sather :handclap:.

Btw I'm really impressed with his fighting skills. He held his own against Parros and he thrashed Reaves :yo:.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I've never liked Rupp or his contract, and he's getting up there in age. I hope Mashinter can replace Rupp. I feel like Mashinter could turn into a solid 10+10 guy with great physicality. Especially fighting. I for one love this pickup.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I've never liked Rupp or his contract, and he's getting up there in age. I hope Mashinter can replace Rupp. I feel like Mashinter could turn into a solid 10+10 guy with great physicality. Especially fighting. I for one love this pickup.

Doubt it. Its much more likely you never hear from this guy again unless you follow the Whale.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Based on what?

I also don't understand the Rupp hate around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad