Player Discussion Brandon Davidson

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
*Didn't see a Davidson specific thread. If there is one can a mod please merge this.*

Anyways...

I'm just curious what others think of this guy?

What do we have with him? He shows glimpses of being a very nice player who still has a ton of un-tapped potential. He can play physical, he can move the puck, he can provide offence. He's not polished and is prone to mistakes, but those glimpses make me think we may have something here.

Is he a part of the future plans?

What say you HF?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not very impressed with him so far minus his shot. He's worth keeping around as a 7D to see if he can become more than he currently is.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
*Didn't see a Davidson specific thread. If there is one can a mod please merge this.*

Anyways...

I'm just curious what others think of this guy?

What do we have with him? He shows glimpses of being a very nice player who still has a ton of un-tapped potential. He can play physical, he can move the puck, he can provide offence. He's not polished and is prone to mistakes, but those glimpses make me think we may have something here.

Is he a part of the future plans?

What say you HF?

I don't think he's shown much un-tapped potential. He's shown he has a bomb when it's put on a tee for him. And that's fantastic. But outside of that, I don't see a tonne to write home about. Average or below average in most areas imo. He's a prototypical tweener. He'll have a career in pro hockey at some level, but I'll be pretty surprised if he ever solidifies himself as a legitimate NHLer.

Would love to have myself look like an idiot though.

Oct 30, 2011
if he keeps it simple, he could carve out a role for himself

he has the size, but he needs to be use it to rub guys out.

he has decent wheels and a booming shot

fitness + compete could round out his game. he doesn't need to be the perfect breakout guy. he just needs to get it out and play to his strengths .

not sure if he can be effective under pressure though.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I always thought Davidson would make the NHL since when I first seen him in prospect camp and in the AHL, he tends to play a simple game and has good habits, generally he doesn't make a lot of mistakes (has made more the usual in the NHL, but that's just part of being a rookie) and is always well liked by his coaches seems to be very responsive to feedback and making adjustments to his game. My thoughts on him were always that he'd end up as a journeymen d-man that will likely bounce around a bunch of teams, but when all is said and done he will have played a pretty respectable number of games in the NHL for someone without a particularly impressive skillset. I thought of him as the modern equivalent to Jason Strudwick or Cory Cross, he skates better then those two though cause that is pretty much a necessity in the modern NHL.

I do have to say though that his shot has impressed me of late I didn't think he had that in him and according to him he is picking his spots so maybe I have to re-think his upside. He also played a very very solid brand of hockey in the AHL playoffs last year, exceeding my expectations and clearly outplayed players with a better draft pedigree. I want to stick with my 6/7 d-man projection for him, but if he can improve other aspects of his game as much as his shot who knows.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Decent filler long term... below average defensively but unlike our other Dmen is willing to unleash slappers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Dont mind him as a 7th D. To be a regular hed need a solid partner on the bottom pairing

Ference and Davidson is a disaster

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember him during the 10-11 OKC Barons season alongside Petry and he looked great but his progression has stagnated (due to health issues?). Size and skill are there but not the toolbox.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He's played 5 games and has as many goals as all the other D on the team combined and has as many goals as Yak and Purcell have so far as well.

It's a small sample size and like everyone else on D here... he's been a mixed bag when it comes to defensive ability. Looks like he may be the ONLY player that can unleash a bomb though which is something this team desperately needs. I'd definitely keep him as a #7 option at a minimum.

He apparently worked his ass off this summer training hard and obviously wants to make the team... at his age it's likely starting to be make or break soon before he becomes a career minor leaguer but I think he has a shot at sticking on the team.

Looks like a player that will be a utility type dman.. not really excelling at any one aspect but decent all-around abilities.

Got to admit, pulling for him to make it after the health issues he's been through... just like I wanted Fedun to make it after he had his leg broken. Always nice to see players come back from adversity but I realize skill and talent are needed as well as heart and perseverance.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
His first couple games he looked like garbage. Last game against Calgary he looked good. You could definitely see why management decided to keep him around. Let's hope he continues to develop because if he can become a top 4 guy who plays the PP that's exactly what we need.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Don't know if it's a feasible option, but maybe a 11F-7D arrangement would be workable for a while?

11 forwards for now would be:

Hall-RNH-Leon
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Pakarinen-Letestu-Purcell
Slepyshev-Lander-XXX

Top 6ers could be rotated in for the missing 12th forward to help generate SOMETHING in that bottom 6.

And on D have:

Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Fayne
Davidson-Reinhart-Gryba

The 3rd pairing would primarily be Reinhart and Gryba, but could sprinkle in Davidson now and then, and have him be a go-to PP option.

No idea if this is really on the coaching staff's minds, but I think it'd be interesting to have an extra D in the lineup. Could shift playing time a bit based on who is/isn't playing well.

And obviously when we get guys like Schultz/Eberle/Hendricks/Korpse back, then this could be restructured or go back to the traditional 12F-6D.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I remember him during the 10-11 OKC Barons season alongside Petry and he looked great but his progression has stagnated (due to health issues?). Size and skill are there but not the toolbox.
I'm pretty sure he had testicular cancer and recovered from it. His progress is a little behind because of it

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we moved out Schultz and Fayne and a pick to get a top pairing guy we could run

Klefbom - Trade
Sekera - Nurse
Reinhart - Gryba/Davidson

Gryba in against heavier tougher teams. Davidson in when we need a bomb from the point.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I don't know what to make of Davidson. He seems to really suffer in our own zone. Looks too anxious and nervous to think about making nice passes with a little bit of risk involved. Instead, like most of our D, he's just firing the puck around the boards and praying our soft as hell wingers miraculously win a board battle.

He's got a hell of a shot though. He has some sort of potential, I don't mind keeping him around. Much prefer him to Ference, Fayne, etc.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't know what to make of Davidson. He seems to really suffer in our own zone. Looks too anxious and nervous to think about making nice passes with a little bit of risk involved. Instead, like most of our D, he's just firing the puck around the boards and praying our soft as hell wingers miraculously win a board battle.

He's got a hell of a shot though. He has some sort of potential, I don't mind keeping him around. Much prefer him to Ference, Fayne, etc.
In the AHL he was actually solid and calm defensively. I think it's confidence for him And nerves. Once he breaks the nerves I think he will be a good bottom pairing pp guy

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
If we moved out Schultz and Fayne and a pick to get a top pairing guy we could run

Klefbom - Trade
Sekera - Nurse
Reinhart - Gryba/Davidson

Gryba in against heavier tougher teams. Davidson in when we need a bomb from the point.

You are out of your mind. Schultz is the best dman in this team for now

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

The problem with this team is that there are like 4 or 5 guys that have been "the best defenseman" at some point this season. So much deviation from just about everyone in their best game vs their worst game. Comes with the territory when everyone is a #3-6 with no 1s or 2s.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yes and he has a bit if value so if you can move Schultz for a true top pairing guy, the entire team improves because if it as the weaker d don't need as many minutes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
okay then lets trade away Klefbom.. No?
okay then Nurse? No?
Reinhart?
Sekera?

somethings gotta give... No one wants Ference, Fayne and Nikitin..

Davidson's goals have increased his value so he might actually be a trade bait. He will at least get long looks from clubs if he hits waivers.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Dont mind him as a 7th D. To be a regular hed need a solid partner on the bottom pairing

Ference and Davidson is a disaster

Any D-man will look bad playing with Ference. Imagine that you play and have to constantly assume that he will cough up the puck or rim it along the boards to an opponent.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
here's a question: who will be the better Dman, long term, Davidson or Schultz?

I'll tell you right now, any who thinks its a nobrainer that its Schultz, is full of it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Davidson ends up being better.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
He has had his ups and downs, but I see a potential 4/5 tbh. He is still tentative. Full of confidence, like against Montreal after his goal, he looks solid. Consistency will come, and when it does 3-5 years of that play for cheap is beautiful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad