Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Other teams have players who do this. Other teams have their star players crash the net for opportunities. Tkachuk is unique in the league and we are a losing, non-playoff team

If some extremely intelligent hockey fans like @Snowwy want to celebrate losing they can do so. I guess I'm just not that smart for seeing losing hockey and praising it.
I'm having a hard time understanding your position here, are you trying to suggest the team is losing because of Tkachuk? Or, that celebrating Tkachuk's accomplishments is celebrating losing?

Reactions: DueDiligence

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm having a hard time understanding your position here, are you trying to suggest the team is losing because of Tkachuk? Or, that celebrating Tkachuk's accomplishments is celebrating losing?

What do you think he has accomplished?

He's an above average power forward in my mind.

He's not a defensive guru. He's not putting up points like Matthew Tkachuk, he's putting up "we should get him for our second line" Kevin Fiala points or Nazem Kadri who the Leafs gave up on. He's not creating lots of opportunities for others on his line.

He's the type of player Don Cherry likes but you're not going to win with if he's part of your core.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's not a defensive guru. He's not putting up points like Matthew Tkachuk, he's putting up "we should get him for our second line" Kevin Fiala points or Nazem Kadri who the Leafs gave up on. He's not creating lots of opportunities for others on his line.

He's the type of player Don Cherry likes but you're not going to win with if he's part of your core.
He was top 20 in the league in goals, that seems like an accomplishment

He's 14th in the league in 5v5 primary assists, that seems like creating opportunities for your linemates.

8th in the league in primary pts (goals + primary assists) at 5v5. that's good, right?

Matthew Tkachuk put up 14 more points on a much better team, and Brady actually outscored him 5v5.

I think your downplaying how effective a player he is, and I'm not really getting why. He's certainly got room to grow, and I think we've been seeing some of that under Martin, and I expect that to continue, the idea that player are who they will always be by 24 seems pretty dubious, you'd think fans of a team that saw Zibanejad break out at 25 or 26 after being traded to the Rangers would have more patience.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

He's 14th in the league in 5v5 primary assists, that seems like creating opportunities for your linemates.

8th in the league in primary pts (goals + primary assists) at 5v5. that's good, right?

Matthew Tkachuk put up 14 more points on a much better team, and Brady actually outscored him 5v5.

I think your downplaying how effective a player he is, and I'm not really getting why. He's certainly got room to grow, and I think we've been seeing some of that under Martin, and I expect that to continue, the idea that player are who they will always be by 24 seems pretty dubious, you'd think fans of a team that saw Zibanejad break out at 25 or 26 after being traded to the Rangers would have more patience.

A lot of qualifiers in every statement you made there.

Do good players need this many qualifiers?

And Zibanejad showed flashes of potential. I'm not seeing that with Brady Tkachuk. What's he going to do? Shoot even more? Learn to skate faster? Learn to make better decisions? And lets remember the Rangers got good for reasons not named Mika Zibanejad. He's along for the ride. Like Nazem Kadri for example. So sure, I guess. Brady Tkachuk, along for the ride.

Also this take is hilarious. Brady Tkachuk has received nauseating amounts of praise for being great on the PP. And your entire defense of him is "he's great 5 on 5" implying he's not good on the powerplay or he'd be leading the league in goals and assists.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brady said himself he’s gong to step Away on input into making team decisions and he was to close to management - pretty hard to get a player to back check when he’s also making lineup and strategic decisions.
Don't know how much input he had on anything but however amount he did, it just shows previous management was beyond inept. Tkachuk has zero cred to warrant being consulted on team decisions. The dude's 25 and hasn't accomplished much. I hope Staios and co just focus on getting the best roster iced regardless of what the players think is best.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Brady is always going to suffer from the Ovechkin take that all he does is throw hits and score goals - and it’s a lot of activity vs effectiveness and it doesn’t help his team win. Brady doesn’t dangle, he doesn’t carry the puck and he certainly had a weak defensive game until this season so he’ll take the heat And this will be the story with him until he wins.

But it’s easy to critique Brady because the team doesn’t match his personality. We don’t play like our Captain and we don’t Have a coach so we don’t match his personality either. the team doesn’t have an identity and it doesn’t have a culture yet

Don't know how much input he had on anything but however amount he did, it just shows previous management was beyond inept. Tkachuk has zero cred to warrant being consulted on team decisions. The dude's 25 and hasn't accomplished much. I hope Staios and co just focus on getting the best roster iced regardless of what the players think is best.
I’m sure he did 90% of the recruiting of Tarasenko was done by Brady. As if this dude doesn’t have enough on his plate he was helping Dorion make hockey decisions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Is top 20 in goals an accomplishment?

Is 14th in 5v5 primary assists not creating chances for your linemates?

Is 8th in primary pts 5v5 good?

Like, I really don't get it, 31 other teams would love to have him on their team, but not you apparently...

You made claims, like he doesn't create chances, 14th in the league in primary assists at 5v5 seems to dispute that claim. You claimed he doesn't put up points like his brother, outscoring him 5v5 seems to dispute that claim.

I'm sorry if facts that respond directly to your claims are counter to the narrative you're trying to spin, it's inconvenient, I know...

Reactions: h2

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Is top 20 in goals an accomplishment?

Is 14th in 5v5 primary assists not creating chances for your linemates?

Is 8th in primary pts 5v5 good?

Like, I really don't get it, 31 other teams would love to have him on their team, but not you apparently...

You made claims, like he doesn't create chances, 14th in the league in primary assists at 5v5 seems to dispute that claim. You claimed he doesn't put up points like his brother, outscoring him 5v5 seems to dispute that claim.

I'm sorry if facts that respond directly to your claims are counter to the narrative you're trying to spin, it's inconvenient, I know...

A lot of qualified facts. And we miss the playoffs. What's next ES/60? Some people know hockey, some clearly do not.

Look at the names he's up there with in terms of shots. How many more goals do we get as a team if Brady Tkachuk isn't shooting like he's Auston Matthews?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A lot of qualified facts. And we miss the playoffs. What's next ES/60? Some people know hockey, some clearly do not.
Qualified to respond to your specific claims. That's how it works, you make a claim, and evidence in support or to the contrary gets presented to either confirm or dispute the claim. You don't get to just spout of claims without evidence and presume them to be facts, you need to actually support the claim.

Look at the names he's up there with in terms of shots. How many more goals do we get as a team if Brady Tkachuk isn't shooting like he's Auston Matthews?
Nobody is comparing him to Auston Matthews except you, maybe you need to stop with the strawman arguments.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

And Zibanejad showed flashes of potential. I'm not seeing that with Brady Tkachuk. What's he going to do? Shoot even more? Learn to skate faster? Learn to make better decisions? And lets remember the Rangers got good for reasons not named Mika Zibanejad. He's along for the ride. Like Nazem Kadri for example. So sure, I guess. Brady Tkachuk, along for the ride.

Also this take is hilarious. Brady Tkachuk has received nauseating amounts of praise for being great on the PP. And your entire defense of him is "he's great 5 on 5" implying he's not good on the powerplay or he'd be leading the league in goals and assists.
I mean, Tkachuk just posted 67, 83 and 74 points at the same age Zib's potential was showing with 40 and 50 points. That's a lot more than potential, that's objectively ~ being a point per game guy.

Tkachuk could stay exactly as he is now and the Sens would be extremely pleased.

The team around him needs to come together, but Tkachuk has objectively, and without a shadow of a doubt, been pulling his weight and more.

He's the Bertuzzi to Stutzle's Naslund. He should be the 2nd best player on his line, with a very clear skillset and very consistent presence.

He was the best forward, very easily this year, the team needs others to step up. We need Stutzle to come back and be the Naslund again, be our best forward, as he was off this year, and we will start to see more success as we get the team back on track from the Dorion disaster.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
nd Zibanejad showed flashes of potential. I'm not seeing that with Brady Tkachuk. What's he going to do? Shoot even more? Learn to skate faster? Learn to make better decisions? And lets remember the Rangers got good for reasons not named Mika Zibanejad. He's along for the ride. Like Nazem Kadri for example. So sure, I guess. Brady Tkachuk, along for the ride.
Maybe what you're not seeing is a problem with you and not the player? Lots of people weren't seeing it with Zibanejad too

Brady is a net front presence on the PP, and he's very good in that role, but if the rest of the PP isn't working, it doesn't matter how good you are in that role, you can screen or tip a shot that never comes, you can't pounce on a rebound when there is none to pounce on.

Guys have roles in hockey, it's a team sport, things only work when the team plays like a team, then everyone benefits.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Brady is great!
If we didn't have him we would get owned more physically than we already do.
We would be needing stretchers on the ice quite regularly and be cleaning the blood off of the ice from our softy tofty players on our team.
Brady is usually taking on 2 or 3 players in scrums because there is no one else on our team that has the physical strength and or the desire to do it.
If we didn't have Brady teams would target and take liberties with all of our players all night. Who would answer the bell?
Brady settles other teams down single-handedly.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Well I guess your smarter than every NHL GM who would love to have him on their team as part of their core.

Reactions: h2 and Senovision

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Well I guess your smarter than every NHL GM who would love to have him on their team as part of their core.

Sure.

He had a career year and he scratched top 20 in goals.
And then some people want to dig into the stats and sound like this instead of just letting the player's numbers stand on their own:

You'd think we invented having a net front presence with Tkachuk.

• Haha

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They want Stutzle to be the best player on the team & when Brady leads the team in numerous areas they trash Brady to make up for it. I don't see any comments trashing Stutzle's defence? Why? He is their favoutrite player & they want him to be the team's best player.

We don't see anyone complaining about Chabot being captain any more, they said all kinds of terrible things about Brady in that thread & they will attack this post. Unfortunately, they can't deny the numbers. :laugh:

Some of us want both of those players to be better.

Hell, the only guy on the roster who played to expectations this season was Sanderson, because he's just a second year player and the big expectations aren't firmly on his shoulders yet.

We shouldn't be giving a pass to anyone on this team after the season we just had.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He's not putting up points like Matthew Tkachuk, he's putting up "we should get him for our second line" Kevin Fiala points or Nazem Kadri who the Leafs gave up on.

For the record Brady is 36th in points and 28th in goals over the last three seasons. And 28th in points and 22nd in goals over the past two seasons. That's first line production. Fiala and Kadri also provide first line production, they were 2nd and 1st on their team in points this year. Those two are players who year after year have been top 3 in production and ice time on their teams. I think you are conflating superstar with first line. When he is gone, he will be missed.

Reactions: aragorn

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Sure.

He had a career year and he scratched top 20 in goals.
And then some people want to dig into the stats and sound like this instead of just letting the player's numbers stand on their own:

You'd think we invented having a net front presence with Tkachuk.

Have a glass of water man

Reactions: Dionysus

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
For the record Brady is 36th in points and 28th in goals over the last three seasons. And 28th in points and 22nd in goals over the past two seasons. That's first line production. Fiala and Kadri also provide first line production, they were 2nd and 1st on their team in points this year. Those two are players who year after year have been top 3 in production and ice time on their teams. I think you are conflating superstar with first line. When he is gone, he will be missed.

Right and the LAK snuck into the playoffs, they were 2 points out from missing while Calgary missed the playoffs badly just like us.

I'm comfortable with the idea of Brady Tkachuk being a first line player on a nonplayoff team. He hasn't earned any more than that.

• Wow

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Some of us want both of those players to be better.

Hell, the only guy on the roster who played to expectations this season was Sanderson, because he's just a second year player and the big expectations aren't firmly on his shoulders yet.

We shouldn't be giving a pass to anyone on this team after the season we just had.
That's not true, Brady had another great season & IMO he was the best player on this team & we continue to see how he is slowly inching towards gaining a number of Sens records. Sanderson certainly had a good season, as did Batherson. It's been the goaltending that continues to let this team down for a few seasons now & the defence that has made numerous bone head decisions & mistakes (Chabot/Chychrun) that has cost this team a number of games. Stutzle too having a down season & making a number of dumb decisions has also cost this team games. It's a team game & this team just didn't have enough players in certain positions raise their game enough throughout the season to win games they should have. Staios will make some changes & we all know where he has to change it up for this team to be successful & it starts in net.

Right and the LAK snuck into the playoffs, they were 2 points out from missing while Calgary missed the playoffs badly just like us.

I'm comfortable with the idea of Brady Tkachuk being a first line player on a nonplayoff team. He hasn't earned any more than that.
Brady has earned a hell of a lot more than that, it's others that had a shitty yr, it's the goaltending that has let us down for a number of seasons, it's the defence that made numerous bonehead decisions & mistakes that cost us games & injuries again hurt this team. It's not one player but a number of players in key positions starting with goaltending & the defenc that has to change & Stutzle hopefully bounces back next yr.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Other teams have players who do this. Other teams have their star players crash the net for opportunities. Tkachuk is unique in the league and we are a losing, non-playoff team

If some extremely intelligent hockey fans like @Snowwy want to celebrate losing they can do so. I guess I'm just not that smart for seeing losing hockey and praising it.
It seems like you are blaming Bradybecause the other players on the team aren't playing well enough when there is plenty of blame to go around starting with goaltending & then the defence & several players making consistent bad decisions at the wrong time that costs us games. And then there is the management & coaching which again has nothing to do with him. Why go after one player like everything is his fault? Nobody is celebrating losing, you have made that up?

This team underperformed for a number of reasons starting with goaltending which cost them numerous games, the defence also cost them numerous games, huge mistakes by certain players at the worse times cost them games, immaturity cost them games, injuries cost them as well. If they would of won half those games they should have they would have been much closer to making the playoffs. I can think of a number of players that cost them games, but I can't think of an example of Tkachuk costing them games, although it's likely there are. You give no credit to the things Micklebot stated about Tkachuk & he has led this team in scoring in 4 of the last 5 yrs only Alfredsson, Karlsson & Yashin have more. He keeps breaking Sens records. Look at how durable Tkachuk has been in his career here & how offensively consistent he is from this list attached. Mathew is older & also a great player in the NHL on a great team with great goaltending & a very good defence, while Brady is catching up, he doesn't have the surrounding cast that his brother has, is that his fault too?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Tkachuk is a 1st liner but not a superstar. This is his prime right now, we need about two players clearly better than him

This is pretty clearly Brady Tkachuk. First line player. That's it.

It's so weird on this board with Tkachuk. There are so many many who say he's overrated (by who?) and that will nitpick everything he does. And there seems to be about an equal amount who think he's some invaluable player who is THE key to playoff success.

He's in the middle. A very good player who is not the best in the league and isn't really even close. But we've got a 30-40 goal power forward who is amazing below the dots and in front of the net. I think anybody but the blindest of fanboys would have to admit that he's been a pretty bad player defensively, buuuuut, he's never been asked to play any semblance of defense until about 50 games ago. I think he made progress since then.

Bottom line is we've got a very good player. He has his flaws but good teams and good coaches use strengths and Brady's got plenty of strong points to his game.

He's no messiah or generational player but he's good enough to be an important part of the core of this team, particularly if he matures and irons out some details in his game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk is a 1st liner but not a superstar. This is his prime right now, we need about two players clearly better than him
Power forwards tend to have later primes, I think Benn started his prime at 25, Todd Bertuzzi's started around 27, Touch took off at 26, JT Miller started at 26 and exploded at 29, Kreider took off at 30, a guy like Iginla started around 24 but kept going till 33,

Reactions: Dionysus and Bileur

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

LAK had 99 points, they were 8 points out from missing, given the 7 point lead on STL and having 6 more regulation wins. They were comfortably in a playoff position all season. They also had 100 points last season. You don't need superstar production from you entire top line, Vegas had zero PPG+ players last season, Carolina is a president trophy contender every year without superstar production. Brady can absolutely be a top line player on a good team. His skill set is unique, highly valued and can fill a role very few can.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2023 - 2024 Sens MVP:

1. Brady Tkachuk
2. Jake Sanderson
3. Drake Batherson
4. Claude Giroux
5. Shane Pinto

Last edited:

Ad