Would you sign Brady Tkachuk at 8x8?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I’m sort of hoping this thread just gets locked soon. Open it back up when he signs. It’s like the same 5-6 guys arguing with each other. Sigh.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
So Ottawa offers up a generous sum (rumored 8 x 8 million). Tkachuk camp agrees (rumoured) that it is a fair deal however it requires some lump sum up front every year (I.e signing bonuses). Melnyk being Melnyk says "I don't do no bonuses). Keith Tkachuk being Keith Tkachuk says "I don't do no fair negotiations".

And here we are.

Something tells me that if it were up to Brady he would have signed by now, but somehow his father and agents have convinced him that money is everything and he will not regret asking for the moon once he retires. Daddy knows best, can never have enough money in life.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Something tells me that if it were up to Brady he would have signed by now, but somehow his father and agents have convinced him that money is everything and he will not regret asking for the moon once he retires. Daddy knows best, can never have enough money in life.

Certainly a plausible theory based on how Matt Chuck described the negotiations earlier on.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
So the only reason this forum exists for you is to come in and spend all your time endlessly complaining about everything? And then you wonder why people are really tired and irritated of reading "sky is falling" narratives in every f***ing thread?
I've made around a dozen posts on this forum in the past two months, pretty much none of them overly negative.

If you're looking around and apparently seeing nothing but misery everywhere, maybe the problem isn't with everyone else on the forum. If you're not happy with discussions occurring on a discussion board, maybe you're the one who should be taking a step away.
Probably to a degree, but I'm not convinced the Tkachuk clan is plotting to drive every bit of cash out of Melnyk as they can. I suspect it's more of a line in the sand on some bonus or incentive that's being quibbled over.

Negotiations coming out of the ELC are about commitment from both sides, after all.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Seriously, what happens if we pay Brady 8 mill and Norris and Pinto outproduce him?

I know it's preseason, but I can't see Brady scoring a goal like Pinto did on that OT winner.

Reactions: robsenz and Beville

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Seriously, what happens if we pay Brady 8 mill and Norris and Pinto outproduce him?

I know it's preseason, but I can't see Brady scoring a goal like Pinto did on that OT winner.
This is so insanely ridiculous that it probably doesn't warrant a response but these things need to be called out more often on here when it's just blatant.

Shane Pinto is a great prospect for this organization and one of my favourites. If you think Pinto is going to outproduce Brady knowing what we currently know, especially in the short-term, you're smoking something not even Canada would legalize.

If Pinto outproduces Brady, then yeah, he'll deserve big money because he'll be a 1st line center.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is so insanely ridiculous that it probably doesn't warrant a response but these things need to be called out more often on here when it's just blatant.

Shane Pinto is a great prospect for this organization and one of my favourites. If you think Pinto is going to outproduce Brady knowing what we currently know, especially in the short-term, you're smoking something not even Canada would legalize.

If Pinto outproduces Brady, then yeah, he'll deserve big money.

What? You don't think it's possible Pinto can outscore/outplay Brady?

I think you're underrating Shane. I know I did once too.

What would start me smoking that good stuff is outpricing a Norris or Pinto if they develop into better players than Brady.

People say of course we're not gonna lose Norris or Pinto. Even if we don't lose them, if they outproduce an 8 mill Brady why would they accept a cent less? Because Brady has a rich daddy/family?

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Like I said: if Pinto outperforms Brady, he'll be a 1st line center. Then of course you have to pay him.

****in' lunacy.

Exactly. Pinto/Norris would be seen as 1B. You can't lose them under any circumstance.

And with Brady at 8m it would inflate their contracts as well.

Brady at 8m for 60 points

Could mean

Pinto at 8m+
Stutzle at 9m+
Chabot at 8m
Norris at 8m+
Sanderson 8m+

Probably forced to lose guys like Zub or Paul or Formenton etc

Reactions: Icelevel

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Exactly. Pinto/Norris would be seen as 1B. You can't lose them under any circumstance.

Could mean

Pinto at 8m+
Stutzle at 9m+
Chabot at 8m
Norris at 8m+
Sanderson 8m+

Sounds like a team of absolute studs if they all earn that kind of cash. Great problem to have.

Reactions: Alfie11

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Could mean

Pinto at 8m+
Stutzle at 9m+
Chabot at 8m
Norris at 8m+
Sanderson 8m+

that much bank going around… sounds like Ottawa just became Tampa Bay
Sweet

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m sort of hoping this thread just gets locked soon. Open it back up when he signs. It’s like the same 5-6 guys arguing with each other. Sigh.

Too bad there wasn’t a way you could a) ignore a thread or b) not read a thread …

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

We trade one if needed … not a problem to trade Brady if he’s our 4th best F …

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Could mean

Pinto at 8m+
Stutzle at 9m+
Chabot at 8m
Norris at 8m+
Sanderson 8m+

Teams that have their top talent locked up in those salary neighbourhoods are doing well.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Tkachuk is more comparble to Dustin Brown, it's defintely not out of the realm of possibiliy of Pinto outscoring or being very close in points with him in due time. Brady's projected season last year was still only 52 points. Zibby scored 51 and we shipped him out without thinking about it, (apples and oranges though)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Teams that have their top talent locked up in those salary neighbourhoods are doing well.

To me, part of it is those bigger deals tend to be signed later; Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, Panarin, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Bobrovsky, Price, these guys got huge deals as UFA to be, and are all on the wrong side of 30 or getting close to it. Guys getting ~8 mil tend to be stars signing long term as RFA,

At the end of the day, if guys like Stützle, Pinto and Norris can justify 8-9 mil deals, we should be in pretty good shape. I don't buy the claim that just because Brady gets paid everybody else will get overpaid.

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are the “training camp isn’t even close! If it’s not done by training camp I’ll be worried” crowd now saying “start of season isn’t even close! If it’s not done by start of season I’ll be worries!”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad