Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) I'm a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
vYOYBrv.png

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You gotta think USA would be all over both Tkachuk brothers. God I miss Olympic hockey.

I really hope the Canadian brand of hockey at the 2022 Olympics is more...fun? Canada had an amazing D core in the 2014 Olympics - Keith, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Vlasic, Weber, Doughty. I understand why they played the way they did, and played to their strengths, but it made for some boring hockey at times. That, and the start times because it was in Sochi..I remembered the Gold medal game starting at like, 8AM or 9AM.

I do remember the QF 1-0 victory against the US, being at a packed Senate downtown, and everyone chanting "f*** you Kessel" late in the game. Good times :laugh:

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I've seen a lot of posts about the term/cap hit, but nothing about incentives.

You look at a guy like Mitch Marner. Now he was coming off a big season, but it took the Leafs a lot to get him locked up. $10.9M AAV, 6 years. But here's the thing..$15.3M signing bonus day one, plus the entire deal is in signing bonuses (lockout/stoppage proof). Front loaded. 2 year NMC in the final two years. And he becomes a UFA at 27 years old, set to cash in on an even bigger UFA deal.

These young stars and their agents want a lot of incentives, or you better be prepared to make it up elsewhere. Chabot signed a very, very team friendly deal all things considered. Obviously the deal is going to have some sort of NMC, perhaps a full one as compensation. But I can't see the team offering competitive signing bonuses or front loading the contract, so I'm not sure the AAV will be as low as some would like, and I'm not sure the term will be as long as some would like.

For reference, here's the deal Chabot signed:

2020-21 - $7M
2021-22 - $7M
2022-23 - $4M
2023-24 - $8M
2024-25 - $10M (M-NTC)
2025-26 - $10M (M-NTC)
2026-27 - $10M (M-NTC)
2027-28 - $8M (M-NTC)

*M-NTC - Chabot submits 10 team no trade list

No signing bonuses. Not a full NTC/NMC. Back-loaded. 8 year deal with a pretty reasonable AAV. Very, very team friendly for us, although you can bet if he's not a $10M player in three years, he's gone before that limited NTC kicks in.

But anyways, that's obviously the type of deal Dorion/Melnyk will be bringing to Brady, maybe change some numbers, but yeah, the team can't quite afford the incentives other teams offer. Really curious to see how this contract negotiation will go and what the contract will end up looking like.
Despite their individual talent levels, the Leafs tend to overpay for their players in absolute value in addition to providing player friendly deals. No reason for someone like Marner who had still had full team control to make $1+ mil more than a UFA like Mark Stone signed entirely through his prime.

I'm really not worried about the Leaf comparables. I just hope for our sake, Euge actually spends to the cap and we should be fine.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Despite their individual talent levels, the Leafs tend to overpay for their players in absolute value in addition to providing player friendly deals. No reason for someone like Marner who had still had full team control to make $1+ mil more than a UFA like Mark Stone signed entirely through his prime.

I'm really not worried about the Leaf comparables. I just hope for our sake, Euge actually spends to the cap and we should be fine.

I’m just saying, a contract structure now is a lot more complex than it was 10 years ago. If we’re not going to budge on front-loading or signing bonuses (which I’m very certain we won’t at this time), we will have to budge on cap hit/term + NMC.

Unless, of course, Dorion pulls a rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Chabot deal.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Man I really wish Batherson could have finished that pass after Tkachuk chased down Boesser, muscled him off the puck, looked him off then cruised around the net and slid it cross-crease to The Drake for a yawning cage. It went right through Drake like he had no idea a pass was coming.

That would have been a highlight of the year - what an amazing play anyway and showcasing the type of player Brady is turning in to...showed off improved skating, the ever present determination, strength, vision and playmaking.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The nice thing about that interview is that Scott is able to tap into a bit of the other side of Brady from what Wally and Methot were able to do.

We quite likely picked the best all around player of that draft. I’m stating to believe that more and more.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In case some folks can’t watch it, Brady likes fighting, enjoys it. He also likes to hit to hurt. He also wants to win multiple cups with his buds on the Sens.

He loves what’s being built here.

He said he was pissed by the fan reaction to picking him (had no idea there were that many of you) but feels comfortable that he has changed minds with his play.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The kid is legit - even down the promoting his sisters field hockey team with the tee-shirt.

No problem with him calling out the fans that ragged on the pick too...well, not calling them out but making sure he noted that fan reaction pissed him off and motivated him. When we get back in the building need to have some chant about how he is better than Zadina LOL.

He is also a good patriot and loyal friend...says AM is better than McJesus.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
In case some folks can’t watch it, Brady likes fighting, enjoys it. He also likes to hit to hurt. He also wants to win multiple cups with his buds on the Sens.

He loves what’s being built here.

He said he was pissed by the fan reaction to picking him (had no idea there were that many of you) but feels comfortable that he has changed minds with his play.

Simmer was pretty vocal about wondering about Tkachuk being picked that high IIRC. Was a loud voice in the 'he only scored 8 goals in college' crowd who thought he didnt have much offensive upside.

Not blaming him specifically or anything, lots of people wanted the flashy scorer Zadina (myself included) but he has a big voice in this town which can explain why some were questioning the Brady choice. His fans like to defer to him cuz he worked in the NHL and if you question his takes youre insane.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The kid is legit - even down the promoting his sisters field hockey team with the tee-shirt.

No problem with him calling out the fans that ragged on the pick too...well, not calling them out but making sure he noted that fan reaction pissed him off and motivated him. When we get back in the building need to have some chant about how he is better than Zadina LOL.

He is also a good patriot and loyal friend...says AM is better than McJesus.

Just a good “Zadina sucks” chant when Brady scores against any team that Zadina isn’t on would do it.

Reactions: OD99

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Simmer was pretty vocal about wondering about Tkachuk being picked that high IIRC. Was a loud voice in the 'he only scored 8 goals in college' crowd who thought he didnt have much offensive upside.

Not blaming him specifically or anything, lots of people wanted the flashy scorer Zadina (myself included) but he has a big voice in this town which can explain why some were questioning the Brady choice. His fans like to defer to him cuz he worked in the NHL and if you question his takes youre insane.

Simmer has been critical of nearly every single move that's been made in the last 4 years. And he never owns up to being way off base with his opinion either.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad