Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk: Episode 4 - A new hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
How is that the case when we see CHL prospects play in the AHL playoffs after never having played a regular season game?

They are not signed to NHL contracts and sign contracts directly with the AHL teams.

For example, Josh Norris could join Belleville for the playoffs if he decides to go pro. He'd sign an AHL ATO with Belleville for the 2018-19 season (usually in conjunction with signing a future NHL ELC that would not take effect until the 2019-20 season rolls over).

I'm not sure if players who are on ELCs that were assigned to the CHL (and their ELCs have slid) can then go and join an AHL team despite being signed to an NHL contract, but I know in cases like Tage Thompson (NCAA) a few years back, the player whose NHL contract won't kick in until the next season signs an AHL contract for the remainder of the current season.

Players who are signed to NHL contracts (like Tkachuk) need to be assigned to the AHL prior to a certain date (I think it coincides with the trade deadline, but I am not entirely sure exactly).

I think in a way, Tkachuk is probably getting some good experience by having to deal with the adversity of Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel being moved at the deadline, and being expected to lead in those circumstances.

Still, I would have liked to see him in the AHL for a playoff run in some form, even if he was only sent down to be eligible for the playoffs, we use one of our call ups to bring him right back up after the deadline passes, and then send him back down if/when we make it. (Assuming that is within the rules.)

Reactions: thinkwild

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Tkachuk has won me over. I still think he's a tad bit overrated but who the f*** cares! A bright spot in a dark season, he's going to be really good. I'll make a better effort to cheer him on now.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk has won me over. I still think he's a tad bit overrated but who the **** cares! A bright spot in a dark season, he's going to be really good. I'll make a better effort to cheer him on now.
He’s under rated if anything. This could be his worst season of the decade. And an awesome worst season it is.

Reactions: aragorn

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Brady could end up being the most complete player in franchise history when all is said and done. You heard that correctly. Before any of you flip out, give it 5-10 years. You’ll see what I mean. Future captain either way. Love the guy to bits.
It wouldn't really surprise me at all. 19 year old Brady is almost at the same level Mark Stone was at 23. Kid has so much potential.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Everyone laughed at me when I said he'd be a top 15 LW in the NHL at some point in his career before the season started...

Reactions: aragorn

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If he comes in next year with better skating and an extra 10 pounds he'll be something else..

Am I the only one who feels like hes already skating MUCH better than he was in the early stages of the season?

I feel like his balance, edge work, and even his overall quickness and straight line speed are all rapidly improving. Hes not falling nearly as much, and its all a huge boon to the aggressive style of game that he wants to play.

20 goals as a teenage PWF is pretty freaky if you ask me, and god only knows how strong hes going to be after another couple of off-seasons of training with Gary Roberts and his bro. Im not going to make any super bold predictions, but I have no doubts that we are in for a treat.

Maybe its just the alcohol talking here, but Im almost ready to say that Im getting pretty excited about our future. I could see lots of Bro-mances developing; Tkachuk/Brown/Norris/White, White & Chabot (bday twins, 1st round Sens twins), Batherson/Formenton (TC buds).

These are all young guys that are connected in one way or another in their pre Sens lives, and its not unbelievable that they could all decide to stick around and make this their own team, so to speak. And there is no doubt Brady will be the captain of this team and the leader of that group.

3 years from now with a new president of hockey ops and some signs of life from ownership (ie they have signed the first wave of young players), maybe pick up a beast of player like Quinton Byfield along the way, and this team could be well on the road back to respectability, the playoffs, and maybe even into contender status eventually.

Cheers Brady, you may have saved my fandom.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
ok context .. I see.. Ok sorry man missed the game otherwise I may have caught it.

Oh well then. Brady had been working on Johnsson for a while. Eventually got Johnsson to give him a mean cross check. Brady clearly knew it was coming and while it wasn't a dive he made sure to lean into it. Johnsson takes a penalty and is clearly pissed off. Johnsson, still pissed off later in the period gives Duclair a cross check and takes another penalty, this time with a few minutes to go which kills any hope of a Leaf comeback. Duclair would seal it with a PP insurance marker.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh well then. Brady had been working on Johnsson for a while. Eventually got Johnsson to give him a mean cross check. Brady clearly knew it was coming and while it wasn't a dive he made sure to lean into it. Johnsson takes a penalty and is clearly pissed off. Johnsson, still pissed off later in the period gives Duclair a cross check and takes another penalty, this time with a few minutes to go which kills any hope of a Leaf comeback. Duclair would seal it with a PP insurance marker.

Love it :laugh:

Reactions: Icelevel

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Brady could end up being the most complete player in franchise history when all is said and done. You heard that correctly. Before any of you flip out, give it 5-10 years. You’ll see what I mean. Future captain either way. Love the guy to bits.

BT is the type of player you go to war with in the playoffs. No fear, can't be intimidated . Other teams don't like him now and they will despise him in 2 years.:laugh:

Reactions: Clayonator

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's so awesome having a guy like Brady. Guys like him are what the Leafs are lacking. Those glue and sandpaper guys that contribute enough to be leaders on the ice, aren't afraid to go to dirty areas, and are versatile enough to play the skill game or the rough game. Come playoffs that is just invaluable.

Despite the shit show the team has been this year, and the fact he could be in Belleville, I think it's fantastic for his confidence to be with the big club right now playing and contributing in competitive games like Saturday (and winning those games as well).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Everyone laughed at me when I said he'd be a top 15 LW in the NHL at some point in his career before the season started...

Yep, there were lots on here who didn't want him, he wasn't skilled enough & yet the guy does something on every shift. He's not a perimeter player & he's not much of a dangler but he's very good at almost every aspect of the game & high hockey IQ to boot. I told someone early on that he would become the face of the franchise someday & he laughed that a 19 yr old would be the face of the franchise & yet he is shown on TV more than anyone else on this team IMO.

I think Brown will be pretty good player for this team too next season but much more low key. Hopefully they put someone on his line who will fight for loose pucks & a goal scorer on the other side, in fact, I hope they keep Paul & Batherson with him for next season in Ott.

What I thought he would become. What this team needs more than anything.

You & me both, but we had lots of detractors, if you will remember. I bet there are still a lot of ppl on here who hate the way he plays & would much prefer a Nylander type of dangler who figure skates around the perimeter & gets a ton of praise for doing NOTHING. Meanwhile Tkachuk is fighting for room in front of the net, agitating the opponents & the goalie & getting into player's grills & scoring a hard fought goal. He is worth the price of admission alone, he is so entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What I thought he would become. What this team needs more than anything.

Like I've said before we even drafted him, Tkachuk is the player we been missing and looking for since we failed to acquire Roberts in 07 playoffs.

Brady wins you championships, but we will need 1-2 players better than him to truly win a championship. This is where we pray Batherson and Brown pan out. We would be unbelievable in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad